Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
To me it sounds like your shocks are under-damped. On my mountain bike there are adjustments to fix this. Also I had aftermarket Rancho shocks on my pickup that allowed you to make this adjustment. Maybe your shocks are defective. Have you tried the bounce test or is the Mach-e too heavy
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
yeah, I agree the ride is kinda bouncy, and i don't think there is anything wrong with your car. It's more what you are used to and prefer. Partly the heavy battery's fault overall. But I feel like I can get used to it and learn how to control it better. I set my tires up to about 42 because I don't like a mushy feel. I'm used to driving on pretty stiff suspension, more track tuned, but it wasn't as soft as this one. This one could stand to be a little tighter suspension I agree. I wouldn't fool with add ons though. Either try the GT, or move to something else if you can't get used to it. I'll have to re-drive the tesla Y perf to remind myself how it compares.

I do prefer the Engage Mode with OPD off. That has more the response of a regular car feel.

Last edited:

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
yeah, I agree the ride is kinda bouncy, and i don't think there is anything wrong with your car. It's more what you are used to and prefer. Partly the heavy battery's fault overall. But I feel like I can get used to it and learn how to control it better. I set my tires up to about 42 because I don't like a mushy feel. I'm used to driving on pretty stiff suspension, more track tuned, but it wasn't as soft as this one. This one could stand to be a little tighter suspension I agree. I wouldn't fool with add ons though. Either try the GT, or move to something else if you can't get used to it. I'll have to re-drive the tesla Y perf to remind myself how it compares.

I do prefer the Engage Mode with OPD off. That has more the response of a regular car feel.
BEV is the new "Regular"

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag
Short of selling the car and taking a huge loss, I mean. Looking for serious suggestions.

I'm disappointed in the ride and handling of my Mach-E, it's overriding everything else positive about the car in my eyes.

It is so underdamped, so uncontrolled, so jiggly, that even on a road that *looks* smooth, I am borderline nauseous from how it throws me around and the constant reverberations of previous bumps. I have put 400 miles on the car and I don't know how I can keep driving it. I feel like a bobblehead nodding to the bumps.

I have never driven a vehicle with a ride as unsettled as my Mach-E. I've had Mustangs, I've had F-150s, this rides like some unholy mismatch of the two - Mustang firm with F-150 jiggle and suspension upset on any bump.

I assume the GT's suspension will improve this... but I don't know if anyone knows whether it's able to be bolted up to a non-GT.

I haven't found any aftermarket suspension kits for Mach-E yet, has anyone else?
I have no understanding of whether this would make a difference or not, however out of interest have you been contacted with regard to this loose subframe bolt recall.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Even 1-Pedal, when you come to a stop, when 1-PD brings you to 0, it does so and slams you forward to a stop and then you feel the car rock back and forth, and back and forth, and back an forth slower and slower until finally it stops. There's no damping whatsoever. That does not equal sporty.
I have been driving in 1P exclusively for a week. Asked my wife about the ride and stopping. She couldn’t tell the difference. None of what you mentioned above. Maybe more practice?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
About two full days with my MME FE and I have to say that I am also wondering what improvements may be able to be made to offer a less bumpy ride. I have found Engage to be the most comfortable driving mode by far, as it seems to be the most like a traditional car experience, and I did have to let some air out of my tires to bring them down from 42 PSI to 38-39 PSI. One Pedal Driving is definitely not for me. Engage and the lower PSI definitely helped make the ride a bit smoother, but I am still getting thrown around quite a bit by the terrible streets we have in Chicago. I would love it if there ends up being something that can be done to make the ride less bouncy/bumpy. Coming from a 2017 Explorer that was super comfortable, this is definitely not anywhere near as comfortable of a ride. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely in love with this car, but I want to love it more and to be truly comfortable in it and would love to avoid making passengers car sick.

Irfan

First Name
Irfan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Investments
Country flag
Edit: removed the original rant.

I'm getting used to it.

It's still jiggly, I still think the ride below 45 MPH is unacceptable, but I regret the emotion that went into the original post.
I too found the ride quite harsh. My 2018 Ford Explorer sport has a softer ride. I noticed that my Mach E tire pressure was reading 43 psi after a 20 minute drive so I adjusted the cold inflation tire pressures to 35 psi. I know that this will consume more energy and will sacrifice handling a bit, but I am much happier with the ride now.

Achabachu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e premium AWD
Country flag
About two full days with my MME FE and I have to say that I am also wondering what improvements may be able to be made to offer a less bumpy ride. I have found Engage to be the most comfortable driving mode by far, as it seems to be the most like a traditional car experience, and I did have to let some air out of my tires to bring them down from 42 PSI to 38-39 PSI. One Pedal Driving is definitely not for me. Engage and the lower PSI definitely helped make the ride a bit smoother, but I am still getting thrown around quite a bit by the terrible streets we have in Chicago. I would love it if there ends up being something that can be done to make the ride less bouncy/bumpy. Coming from a 2017 Explorer that was super comfortable, this is definitely not anywhere near as comfortable of a ride. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely in love with this car, but I want to love it more and to be truly comfortable in it and would love to avoid making passengers car sick.
Yeah same feeling in the Chicagoland area. In fact my back has started hurting! I'm trying Irfan's lowered PSI technique and hoping for better result. Otherwise I'm going to have to get rid of this EXCELLENT looking car inside and out! By the way, got the same exact color, imo best looking!

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I have been playing with this lack of small bump compileance. It very bumpy until hitting larger bumps then bounce back hard.
I tried 40 lbs of salt, somewhat better. 80 lbs much better. Good small bump compileance and larger does not slam back.
Don't believe it's shocks , thinking spring were calibrated for more load to slightly compress for better ride. Still working on this. Weight is place as far back as possible
Sponsored