First Name
Shelinova
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Hi

I started driving today and there was a strange knocking that got worse with speed. I looked under the vehicle, felt around the tires to make sure nothing was rubbing, messed with settings, read posts online trying to figure it out. Turns out it was ‘reverse brake assist’ in settings. I turned it off and problem gone. Quiet as a feather. I’ve attached a photo if this happens to you. Settings > drivers assist > reverse brake assist. Toggle off!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Strange ‘knocking’ sound solved! 3B00A548-A554-4399-A722-1F829A08221E
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That doesn't make any sense, reverse brake assist would only be active while backing in reverse. Were you backing up when the noises happened?

jremy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Had this very issue which was resolved using your method. Thank you very much for saving me the 90mn trip to the only Ford dealer near me that deals with EVs.
Update: Taking the Mach-E for service tomorrow (2/15/23). Dealer Service Department said they might have to keep the vehicle for a week!

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hi

I started driving today and there was a strange knocking that got worse with speed. I looked under the vehicle, felt around the tires to make sure nothing was rubbing, messed with settings, read posts online trying to figure it out. Turns out it was ‘reverse brake assist’ in settings. I turned it off and problem gone. Quiet as a feather. I’ve attached a photo if this happens to you. Settings > drivers assist > reverse brake assist. Toggle off!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Strange ‘knocking’ sound solved! 3B00A548-A554-4399-A722-1F829A08221E

does not solve it for me....

but on a related topic; I wish that 'cross-traffic alert' and 'driver alert' settings would STAY OFF when I disable them rather than reset every trip. I find these Alerts more distracting than the situation I have already seen. Even MORE distressing when passengers react with WATCH OUT or DID YOU SEE THAT after the fact.

My typical response has been "Yes Honey I saw that 2 seconds ago.... ignore the flashing lights and beeping and let me drive please."

@Ford Motor Company , are you listening ? PLEASE make these 'Alerts' stay off if disabled.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Did you try higher octane fuel? 😜
on a more serious note.... I would suggest that the OP request the dealership pull brakepads on his next 10k,20k,30k and check for missing chunks of pad that may have stuck to rotors.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
on a more serious note.... I would suggest that the OP request the dealership pull brakepads on his next 10k,20k,30k and check for missing chunks of pad that may have stuck to rotors.
I like making jokes, but you are 100% correct, a reverse braking setting making noises in forward is not something to be ignored just because turning the setting off made it go away.

After all, brakes that don't work are the quietest brakes of all!
Sponsored