Test drove a Mach-E GT Performance, dealer told me MachE are backordered 12-18 months? (Cross shopped MYP vs Mach-E)

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Where is this dealer who has a GT-PE available for test drives, I wonder? They are still so absolutely invisible around here. Heck, if the dealer is anywhere near me I would want to go beat on their test drive car. ??
There’s two GTPEs at Magic City Ford in Roanoke VA. A white and cyber orange. They offered me a test drive on them in the beginning of November, I didn’t want to get hooked on the acceleration and get stuck buying something I really couldn’t afford so I passed. So they are around, that dealership puts crazy ADM on their hot cars though… Broncos for $100k+ and the GTPEs were about $83k after mark up.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
There’s two GTPEs at Magic City Ford in Roanoke VA. A white and cyber orange. They offered me a test drive on them in the beginning of November, I didn’t want to get hooked on the acceleration and get stuck buying something I really couldn’t afford so I passed. So they are around, that dealership puts crazy ADM on their hot cars though… Broncos for $100k+ and the GTPEs were about $83k after mark up.
Craziest price increase I ever heard of. Pure nuts. Wow.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
We thought about Tesla at first but the deal breakers for us were:

1) Had to use the center screen for EVERYTHING
2) No display in front of the driver to see speed
3) No Apple Car Play which we use every day in our other cars
4) numerous quality issues that Tesla chalks up to "within spec".

And that is where the real problem comes in. If you do need service on a Tesla, there is only one option for service and all owned by Tesla (and a lot of times long distances to get there if they don't come to you). With Ford you have a lot more options of dealers all owned by different people/companies meaning you can pick the one you like best.

Then there is the issue of collision repairs and insurance. I never really dove into it because we chose to go the MME route, but I have heard that the insurance rates for the Tesla is higher than the Ford due to the cost of repairs if it is in a collision. Add to that there are only a select few shops who will even work on a Tesla for collision repairs and you are just asking for a huge hassle if you have the unfortunate situation where your vehicle needs any type of collision repair.

It is unfortunate you chose to take one dealer's word about the length of time for the order process. All of the dealers I spoke to around me quoted a 6 to 8 month time frame. There is also talk of Ford ramping up production at the MME plant, which will only speed that time frame up if it comes true.

OP
OP

HeyMomTheMeatloaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Country flag
This is the kind of stuff I would hope the manufacturer warranties, doesn't matter if they are Audi, Tesla or Ford. To me, that is like suffering a transmission or engine block failure.

hopefully your rear motor doesnt fail. There has been a ton of reports of that on Model Ys recently.

OP
OP

HeyMomTheMeatloaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Country flag
I am coming from a Toyota Camry, and the Model Y is cheaper to insure. This is something my insurance agent and I went back and forth on.

1. I didn't believe it. I was taught the same thing everyone here has been taught. EV are supposed to be more expensive to insure.
  2. They checked multiple VIN and compared my quotes with other insurance customers they have (who also own Model Y).
  3. I wanted the insurance to help sway me from being an EV. Had the insurance been $200-300/mo, I would have been like no way. I was basically looking for any good reason to not do this purchase.
For me; a 2.5yr old Toyota with MSRP of 29k costs 15% more to insure than a 72k Model Y. I never got insurance quotes on the Mach-E.

Re: your other comments

This is why I am happy the Mach-E exists. It undoubtably has some different design elements. I think the vehicle drives more ICE’y, and could be a more appropriate vehicle for people who are EV-curious, or not looking to make such a big jump. The ability to turn off regen entirely, and take your foot off the gas - I don’t think thats a feature in Tesla, but the Mach-E has it.

Apple CarPlay/Android Auto - we’ve grown frustrated with these. I love….Google Maps. Apple CarPlay, IME, does not have the same Google Maps capabilities found on Android Auto & their implementation of Google Maps. Android Auto happens to be more buggy than Apple CarPlay. Android Auto happens to be slower or more laggy than Apple CarPlay. TL:DR - You ever just “have it up to here” with a particular operating system or device? That is basically where I am with Windows operating system, with Apple CarPlay, with Android Auto; if I am forced to use them with no alternative - fine; but if I can avoid it, I will. Tesla has…..Google Earth/Maps abilities built right in to the infotainment. I guess the only other manufacturer doing this is Audi. At least on Android, you can still use Android Auto on your phone in a car that doesn’t support it, and….basic Bluetooth audio capabilities still work (like track skip forward, skip backward, pause, play)

Then to further expand on this infotainment/CarPlay/android auto topic; the Ford Sync infotainment system is not a saving grace of the Mach-E. It just isn’t that impressive. It is the best Sync system Ford has ever made, but it still just falls short. Some other examples where the Sync infotainment falls short; the dealer couldn’t figure out how to get live traffic, satellite view (I just love….satellite view for mapping software), and we couldn’t figure out how to find DC Fast Chargers in the navigation software.

The point still stands; I am happy the Mach-E exists, because the Tesla design isn’t going to appeal to everyone. Consumers need choices. Consumers need to vote with their dollars. Competition creates better products and services for all consumers. Competition lowers costs. The Mach-E is good competition.

The quality issues are what they are. Tesla owners obviously overlook them, excuse them, have them fixed, or just don’t care. I still believe “nuts and bolts” issues are easier to fix than software and poor charging or range. I understand OTA updates may improve things in both automobiles - so the Sync infotainment may get some of these features, the lag/delays might be reduced; but there is no guarantee. With a Tesla, at least a body panel can be repainted, if it scratched. Another user on this thread had said there is one design defect that can’t be addressed through adjustments - something about how the rear doors lineup - so there could be issues that are not addressable. To that; I say we as consumers have a certain amount of responsibility in this transaction. We need to ensure our money is well spent, and the products are as they should be. If an issue truly bothers us as a consumer, we need to see to it that these brands address them, or we need to refuse delivery of that particular vehicle. It doesn’t matter if it is Tesla or Ford. We need to hold these brands accountable, especially when the issues matter to us, or our money.

I do agree that it sucks the Ford dealer isn’t being more straightforward with delays. I still think it is risky behavior for them, considering consumers like me will be quick to shy away from a Mach-E purchase, if we feel the dealer is being predatory or trying to rip us off. Like many of you - this is my first $70k vehicle purchase. Everything I’ve owned has been 30k or less previously. This is a big deal to me, and to many of you. I only walked in to the decision to purchase a $70k EV after I re-evaluated my monthly/yearly budget, removed more than $300/mo in recurring costs, set limits on the purchase price, set limits on the monthly loan cost, and basically did everything I could to mentally feel comfortable and confident in making this monumental purchase - second in price to only my house.

The decision to go with Tesla almost boils down to; Tesla made me feel less financially irresponsible, Tesla made me feel they were better able to support me as a customer, Tesla made me feel I could easily adhere to the financial limits I had set with myself, Tesla made me feel I could obtain the interest rates that allow me to afford the purchase. At the Ford dealership, it was obvious they were trying to wrestle all of this away from me, and it was just an off putting experience. Like I mentioned in a previous comment; the Ford dealer “sold me” the Model Y.

If my local dealer seemed better prepared to support EV customers, I would agree that Ford would be better suited to support EV owners. But as a whole, despite Ford’s massive dealer and service network, Ford isn’t designed to support or sell EV’s. This statement is worth repeating in a different way; despite the scarcity of Tesla service centers or repair shops; Ford seemed less capable of supporting or selling EV’s.

My complaints in this thread help you all; because I am basically saying - hey Ford dealers, you should really consider supporting these Mach-E customers better.

We thought about Tesla at first but the deal breakers for us were:

1) Had to use the center screen for EVERYTHING
2) No display in front of the driver to see speed
3) No Apple Car Play which we use every day in our other cars
4) numerous quality issues that Tesla chalks up to "within spec".

And that is where the real problem comes in. If you do need service on a Tesla, there is only one option for service and all owned by Tesla (and a lot of times long distances to get there if they don't come to you). With Ford you have a lot more options of dealers all owned by different people/companies meaning you can pick the one you like best.

Then there is the issue of collision repairs and insurance. I never really dove into it because we chose to go the MME route, but I have heard that the insurance rates for the Tesla is higher than the Ford due to the cost of repairs if it is in a collision. Add to that there are only a select few shops who will even work on a Tesla for collision repairs and you are just asking for a huge hassle if you have the unfortunate situation where your vehicle needs any type of collision repair.

It is unfortunate you chose to take one dealer's word about the length of time for the order process. All of the dealers I spoke to around me quoted a 6 to 8 month time frame. There is also talk of Ford ramping up production at the MME plant, which will only speed that time frame up if it comes true.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I am coming from a Toyota Camry, and the Model Y is cheaper to insure. This is something my insurance agent and I went back and forth on.

1. I didn't believe it. I was taught the same thing everyone here has been taught. EV are supposed to be more expensive to insure.
  2. They checked multiple VIN and compared my quotes with other insurance customers they have (who also own Model Y).
  3. I wanted the insurance to help sway me from being an EV. Had the insurance been $200-300/mo, I would have been like no way. I was basically looking for any good reason to not do this purchase.
For me; a 2.5yr old Toyota with MSRP of 29k costs 15% more to insure than a 72k Model Y. I never got insurance quotes on the Mach-E.

Re: your other comments

This is why I am happy the Mach-E exists. It undoubtably has some different design elements. I think the vehicle drives more ICE’y, and could be a more appropriate vehicle for people who are EV-curious, or not looking to make such a big jump. The ability to turn off regen entirely, and take your foot off the gas - I don’t think thats a feature in Tesla, but the Mach-E has it.

Apple CarPlay/Android Auto - we’ve grown frustrated with these. I love….Google Maps. Apple CarPlay, IME, does not have the same Google Maps capabilities found on Android Auto & their implementation of Google Maps. Android Auto happens to be more buggy than Apple CarPlay. Android Auto happens to be slower or more laggy than Apple CarPlay. TL:DR - You ever just “have it up to here” with a particular operating system or device? That is basically where I am with Windows operating system, with Apple CarPlay, with Android Auto; if I am forced to use them with no alternative - fine; but if I can avoid it, I will. Tesla has…..Google Earth/Maps abilities built right in to the infotainment. I guess the only other manufacturer doing this is Audi. At least on Android, you can still use Android Auto on your phone in a car that doesn’t support it, and….basic Bluetooth audio capabilities still work (like track skip forward, skip backward, pause, play)

Then to further expand on this infotainment/CarPlay/android auto topic; the Ford Sync infotainment system is not a saving grace of the Mach-E. It just isn’t that impressive. It is the best Sync system Ford has ever made, but it still just falls short. Some other examples where the Sync infotainment falls short; the dealer couldn’t figure out how to get live traffic, satellite view (I just love….satellite view for mapping software), and we couldn’t figure out how to find DC Fast Chargers in the navigation software.

The point still stands; I am happy the Mach-E exists, because the Tesla design isn’t going to appeal to everyone. Consumers need choices. Consumers need to vote with their dollars. Competition creates better products and services for all consumers. Competition lowers costs. The Mach-E is good competition.

The quality issues are what they are. Tesla owners obviously overlook them, excuse them, have them fixed, or just don’t care. I still believe “nuts and bolts” issues are easier to fix than software and poor charging or range. I understand OTA updates may improve things in both automobiles - so the Sync infotainment may get some of these features, the lag/delays might be reduced; but there is no guarantee. With a Tesla, at least a body panel can be repainted, if it scratched. Another user on this thread had said there is one design defect that can’t be addressed through adjustments - something about how the rear doors lineup - so there could be issues that are not addressable. To that; I say we as consumers have a certain amount of responsibility in this transaction. We need to ensure our money is well spent, and the products are as they should be. If an issue truly bothers us as a consumer, we need to see to it that these brands address them, or we need to refuse delivery of that particular vehicle. It doesn’t matter if it is Tesla or Ford. We need to hold these brands accountable, especially when the issues matter to us, or our money.

I do agree that it sucks the Ford dealer isn’t being more straightforward with delays. I still think it is risky behavior for them, considering consumers like me will be quick to shy away from a Mach-E purchase, if we feel the dealer is being predatory or trying to rip us off. Like many of you - this is my first $70k vehicle purchase. Everything I’ve owned has been 30k or less previously. This is a big deal to me, and to many of you. I only walked in to the decision to purchase a $70k EV after I re-evaluated my monthly/yearly budget, removed more than $300/mo in recurring costs, set limits on the purchase price, set limits on the monthly loan cost, and basically did everything I could to mentally feel comfortable and confident in making this monumental purchase - second in price to only my house.

The decision to go with Tesla almost boils down to; Tesla made me feel less financially irresponsible, Tesla made me feel they were better able to support me as a customer, Tesla made me feel I could easily adhere to the financial limits I had set with myself, Tesla made me feel I could obtain the interest rates that allow me to afford the purchase. At the Ford dealership, it was obvious they were trying to wrestle all of this away from me, and it was just an off putting experience. Like I mentioned in a previous comment; the Ford dealer “sold me” the Model Y.

If my local dealer seemed better prepared to support EV customers, I would agree that Ford would be better suited to support EV owners. But as a whole, despite Ford’s massive dealer and service network, Ford isn’t designed to support or sell EV’s. This statement is worth repeating in a different way; despite the scarcity of Tesla service centers or repair shops; Ford seemed less capable of supporting or selling EV’s.

My complaints in this thread help you all; because I am basically saying - hey Ford dealers, you should really consider supporting these Mach-E customers better.
Toyota's maybe more to insure purely due to theft. Tesla's may not be stolen as much maybe since shops can't buy the parts to repair them illegally?

A large wall of text, not sure what you are hoping for here? Confirmation from folks that you made the best choice and Tesla is the best? It probably is for you since everything Tesla did is so great.

I'm not going to convince anyone what to buy. Bottom line is all the negatives of Tesla for you are a non-issue and the main complaint is still 1 particular ford dealer.

I didn't even get a test drive and have never seen the Mach-e in person up close.

I guess it's just not a big life decision for me maybe and at the end of the day, to me, it's 'just a car'. Software is that big a deal, really? I just need a car to get me from one spot to another, but that's just me.

We're all different I suppose, but this just screams of "I'm spending 70k" on a car, it's so much...

Sometimes, I think this post smells of Tesla 'rich' envy and OP just wants a Tesla because it's maybe viewed as more Luxury. Not sure what state you are in now, but Tesla's are everywhere. They call them the Prius of Silicon Valley. No one cares someone owns a Tesla and I know plenty of folks with Teslas and still rent or are dead poor.

TL: DR - No need to convince us. Be happy you made the best choice for you. I personally am just concerned and want my car to not catch fire so I have very low expectations. As long as it does that, I'm good (I'm coming from a Bolt).

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
To each his own. I drove my brother-in-law's model S and test drove a Mach-E at the Ford dealership. To me - it wasn't even close - MachE hands down. And this isn't even considering the price difference.

By the way... I like the fact that the MachE is more "ICE-like." It's one of the reasons I prefer it. Not a big fan of super-aggressive regen-breaking. I like a smooth ride - not constant accel/decel. But to each his own. I'm glad you're enjoying the Model Y.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
SO Magic City is actually expecting those crazy ADMs on the GTs they have/had on their lot? I had seen them there when I've drove by, and then saw the prices on their website and thought they were crazy.

I would assume they still aren't doing ADMs on customer ordered Mach-E's though... So far as I know they haven't before, and certainly did not with mine.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
SO Magic City is actually expecting those crazy ADMs on the GTs they have/had on their lot? I had seen them there when I've drove by, and then saw the prices on their website and thought they were crazy.

I would assume they still aren't doing ADMs on customer ordered Mach-E's though... So far as I know they haven't before, and certainly did not with mine.
I'm not sure if they expect someone to pay the ADM or they just aren't in a hurry to sell. At any time they can lower it for a sale and they know it.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

@nvabill
Yeah, I’m not sure if they are actually trying to sell them with ADM, I believe they are just using those models as showroom pieces so they put those high ADM to keep them in the lot until they are more available but that’s just speculation.

That’s good to hear they didn’t have ADM with customer ordered vehicles. The ADM on the Bronco and Mach-E put me off of that dealership to be honest. I didn’t even attempt to buy from them, and even went as far as taking my car to a different dealership for service and warranty work because of it. Their loss I guess, but I’m sure they aren’t hurting.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
@nvabill
Yeah, I’m not sure if they are actually trying to sell them with ADM, I believe they are just using those models as showroom pieces so they put those high ADM to keep them in the lot until they are more available but that’s just speculation.

That’s good to hear they didn’t have ADM with customer ordered vehicles. The ADM on the Bronco and Mach-E put me off of that dealership to be honest. I didn’t even attempt to buy from them, and even went as far as taking my car to a different dealership for service and warranty work because of it. Their loss I guess, but I’m sure they aren’t hurting.
Magic City treated me well with mine, but I was one of the first (think I may have been the first) reservations, and got pretty involved throughout the process. Though service hasn't been amazing, they have always come through in a timely fashion and haven't pulled any stunts. Financing was also decent (compared to most 'stealerships"), I originally purchased an extended warranty, and he had no issue cancelling it in a timely fashion without push-back or questioning.

I actually just shot an e-mail to their GSM, who was great with my purchase, asking if either GT was available for a test drive. My partner may be looking for an EV sooner than later (has a Lightning on reservation), and is entertaining a GT. Will stop by this weekend either way to take a closer peek at them, I've only glanced on the lot.
Sponsored