Texas Tesla Tragedy

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
The operative words are "Preliminary Report". Please read the report, and as you will see, this is right above the report.

The day after the wreck, Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman said that his investigators say no one was in the driver's seat at the point of impact.
The crash damaged the front of the carā€™s high-voltage lithium-ion battery case, where a fire
started. The fire destroyed the car, including the onboard storage device inside the infotainment
console (figure 2). The carā€™s restraint control module, which can record data associated with
vehicle speed, belt status, acceleration, and airbag deployment, was recovered but sustained fire
damage. The restraint control module was taken to the National Transportation Board
(NTSB) recorder laboratory for evaluation.
And when you are through reading the report, please read this. how can this be???

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...d-after-being-caught-ā€˜backseat-drivingā€™.6130/
Sponsored

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Could you please cut n paste the quote in the report that I highlighted above?

I just read the damn thing 4 times, and could not find that statement in it. ???

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I can think of some more possibilities. Might have had a heart attack or stroke. Might have mistaken the accelerator for the brake -- it was a new car. Might have gotten caught up looking at the console.

Not saying probable. :) Personally my money is on your door #1.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
So, have not read all posts here, but from what I've read the driver's home security shows him getting in the front seat, driving off. Much speculation after that, but one scenario is he got into the back seat to avoid fire and escape when he discovered doors would not open w/o emergency release.

Reactions: smp

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Much speculation after that, but one scenario is he got into the back seat to avoid fire and escape when he discovered doors would not open w/o emergency release.
That would be horrible since it would mean he was burned to death while fully conscious. I'd prefer to think he was killed instantly on impact. Also it would assume that after a major crash he was physically able to climb into the back seat in a few seconds and had enough wits to do so.

Funny that you first say that everything is speculation and then come up with a speculative scenario that absolves AP of any responsibility. Do you find that ironic? ;)

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
That would be horrible since it would mean he was burned to death while fully conscious. Also it would assume that after a major crash he was physically able to climb into the back seat in a few seconds and had enough wits to do so.
Yes. The door locks have dual power 12v and the main battery. Probably neither survived. What's interesting, is there appears to be no manual release of any kind in the back seat of the model 3, (I know the crash car was an S) when actually there is one. You have to pull the release cord out of the door panel yourself. Weirdly, once that's done, it becomes -- at least to me -- the easiest Tesla manual escape.

(396) Model 3 Emergency Door Install and Order - YouTube

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
That is a mystery isn't it? Easier to imagine someone in the back seat ending up in the front seat than vice versa.

I think ultimately we'll know but it will take some time. The simplest explanation of course is they thought AP was something it wasn't.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
That's not what it says at all. It says that they could not readily duplicate it with a similar car without any defeats. Again you are speculating to suite your point of view. Wait for the full report.

Reactions: DBC

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Again its not an NTSB report. It is a preliminary report with zero conclusions. It doesn't mean anything about what actually happened in the car. The exact 737 Max failure mode could never be entirely replicated in a matching aircraft except in certain simulators. And yet it ended up grounding the entire aircraft fleet. How hard is this to understand. Wait for the final report.
Sponsored