The saga of the punctured tire and the cost of getting a new one(s)

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
That was for AWD, I'm not sure if there are any AWD's with front to back size miss match, but if there are they are calibrated for that. Here's a video from EVDave about an aftermarket spare on the Model Y. You could probably start viewing about 7:17
I want to straighten out some terminology here. Iā€™m assuming the term ā€œsize mismatchā€ is referring to a staggered fitment, which is when the maker has specified different width tires for the front and rear wheels. example: 245/40-19 front 275/35-19 rear tires. And there are many current AWD vehicles running staggered OEM fitments.

There isnā€™t much calibration necessary for this because the chassis engineering group has usually specifically chosen the staggered fitment to tune the vehicle for a more understeer prone handling balance. Hence the narrower front tires that will typically provide less lateral grip than the wider rear tires, resulting in understeer. Therefore, the stagger is, in essence, the ā€œcalibrationā€.

The current Audi RS3 is the only car I know of that uses a wider front tire than rear tire on a staggered fitment. In itā€™s case Audi is actually tuning out excessive understeer with the wider front tire in order to provide a more neutral handling balance.
Sponsored

buddha34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium XR AWD
Country flag
Well, yesterday was an interesting day. I went to one of my local dealerships for the third time so they could attempt again, with a Ford Factory Tech on the line, to fix my PaaK issue and 4 other minor annoyances that I have had since I got my Mach E. Those include Easy Driver exit, Wipers making one swipe on the brightest and sunniest of days, hands free lift gate operations and the turn signals clicker going fast, slow or anything in between. I was there for 4 hours this time but did get some progress as follows:

1. Paak works a lot better, I would say about 90% now.
2. Handsfree liftgate appears to be functioning better but to soon to tell.
3. Rained all day yesterday so don't know about the single wipe being resolved.
4. Easy Driver Exit is not resolved.

I was informed by the dealer that Ford had them reprogram the RF Radio Module.

We will see what happens over the next few days.

Now, on to the tires.

On my way home I picked up a piece of metal in my right rear tire. It was not a small piece. It was about 1.5 inches across (38.1 mm) and about the same in depth. It went into the tire all the way. Fortunately it sealed the tire enough that it was a relatively slow leak so I could get it to my local Tire Center. That is where the fun started.

The Tire Center told me up front they wouldn't have that tire in stock and they would have to order it. They said usually for tires, it would arrive the next day. But then, they started researching it. They had nothing that would equal, match or come close to the tire on the Mach E. So, they called Michelin to find out when they could get one. Michelin informed them that they only started producing that tire for retail sales the previous Sunday (26 September, 2021) and they would not be available for delivery until mid or late November. While the Tire Center was talking to Michelin, I called a nearby Ford dealership to see what they had to say. After some time on hold (with them coming back on the call and apologizing for the waits) they said they called everyone they could think of and checked the system and that tire was no where to be found in the entire USA and they had no idea when I could get one. There was no part number for it in the system either.

So, since the tire puncture was not patchable, and I couldn't be without my car for up to 2 months, I had no choice but to spend $1000 for 4 new tires. I chose the Yokohama YK 740 255 50 /R19 to replace the Michelin's. They are just a tad bit larger but fit in the well fine.

I have reached out to Ford Customer Relations to ask about reimbursement. I should have only had to buy 1 tire, not 4. They will get back with me today.

Just wanted to make everyone aware that if you have a tire go bad in the next month or so, you're not going to find one that the Mach E came with, anywhere.
To your issue of the "Wipers making one swipe on the brightest and sunniest of days". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that single initial swipe is an indication that the automatic wipers are on and functioning. Don't believe that's a defect.

Sucks about the tire though!
I often get the single wipe - only when I park outside (often when it has been sitting all day, like at work) here in pollen-y Oregon. I have been assuming it is sensing a layer of dust as water and gives one wipe that seems to clear it. It doesn't happen when I'm in the garage. Doesn't really bug me though, doesn't seem to make a mess. IMHO, a car/technology interaction with nature interface is probably not going to be 100%. My last car (BMW) wasn't really sensitive enough when it rained, I often had to turn it off and on. The Mach E is better. Going to be hard to make it absolutely perfect.

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
Here is the thing, I have had Audi's, BWM's, Lexus and an Acura with Rain Sensing Wipers. None of them have had this issue. So I can't buy into this is normal.
My Very first car with Automatic wipers clearly stated that the wipers should not be left in Auto when its not raining and I have done that for every car I have owned since. I have had other cars that clearly stated that the Sun will cause the wipers to wipe on startup and therefore should be off when its not raining. I cant remember which car that was but I remember my first car with auto wipers so I looked that up for you.

Its the paragraph above the picture on the left.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The saga of the punctured tire and the cost of getting a new one(s) w960_3577-134

Rex

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-Ex
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Well, yesterday was an interesting day. I went to one of my local dealerships for the third time so they could attempt again, with a Ford Factory Tech on the line, to fix my PaaK issue and 4 other minor annoyances that I have had since I got my Mach E. Those include Easy Driver exit, Wipers making one swipe on the brightest and sunniest of days, hands free lift gate operations and the turn signals clicker going fast, slow or anything in between. I was there for 4 hours this time but did get some progress as follows:

Wipers making one swipe on the brightest and sunniest of days,

Has this been fixed by your dealer visit?
If so I'll talk to my dealer as I have reported it to Ford and had no reply.

OP
OP
memcm_expert

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Wipers making one swipe on the brightest and sunniest of days,

Has this been fixed by your dealer visit?
If so I'll talk to my dealer as I have reported it to Ford and had no reply.
From what I have learned, this is a "feature" of almost all Ford's. There is no fix for it. And one user here on the forum even took the time to look it up in the manual and it says that sunlight, bugs and other factors may trigger this and to not turn on Auto Rain Sensing Wipers unless in wet conditions.

As I stated earlier, I have had many different brands of cars and this has never been an issue for me.

But, as someone else said, they were not Ford's, either.

Rex

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-Ex
Occupation
retired
Country flag
From what I have learned, this is a "feature" of almost all Ford's. There is no fix for it. And one user here on the forum even took the time to look it up in the manual and it says that sunlight, bugs and other factors may trigger this and to not turn on Auto Rain Sensing Wipers unless in wet conditions.

As I stated earlier, I have had many different brands of cars and this has never been an issue for me.

Interestingly my previous vehicle was a Ford and in 4 years the wipers never operated in the dry on turning on the ignition. For me it is a new feature introduced for the Mach-E :)
It only does it occasionally.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag

4. Easy Driver Exit is not resolved.

I was informed by the dealer that Ford had them reprogram the RF Radio Module.

We will see what happens over the next few days.

Now, on to the tires.

On my way home I picked up a piece of metal in my right rear tire. It was not a small piece. It was about 1.5 inches across (38.1 mm) and about the same in depth. It went into the tire all the way. Fortunately it sealed the tire enough that it was a relatively slow leak so I could get it to my local Tire Center. That is where the fun started.

The Tire Center told me up front they wouldn't have that tire in stock and they would have to order it. They said usually for tires, it would arrive the next day. But then, they started researching it. They had nothing that would equal, match or come close to the tire on the Mach E. So, they called Michelin to find out when they could get one. Michelin informed them that they only started producing that tire for retail sales the previous Sunday (26 September, 2021) and they would not be available for delivery until mid or late November. While the Tire Center was talking to Michelin, I called a nearby Ford dealership to see what they had to say. After some time on hold (with them coming back on the call and apologizing for the waits) they said they called everyone they could think of and checked the system and that tire was no where to be found in the entire USA and they had no idea when I could get one. There was no part number for it in the system either.

So, since the tire puncture was not patchable, and I couldn't be without my car for up to 2 months, I had no choice but to spend $1000 for 4 new tires. I chose the Yokohama YK 740 255 50 /R19 to replace the Michelin's. They are just a tad bit larger but fit in the well fine.

I have reached out to Ford Customer Relations to ask about reimbursement. I should have only had to buy 1 tire, not 4. They will get back with me today.

Just wanted to make everyone aware that if you have a tire go bad in the next month or so, you're not going to find one that the Mach E came with, anywhere.
I have a First Edition Mach E and it had a nail in the rear tire back in late June. The local Ford dealership had the Michelin's in stock but they couldn't schedule an appointment before I had to leave on a trip. Luckily the leak was slow.

Discount Tire did not have the tires and they didn't have any other options (besides snow tires) because the load handling required. Tire Rack had them and I ordered one to be sent to a Firestone store for when I got back into town. They replaced it the day after I got back.

Sounds like the replacement tires are still hard to find.

Goober96

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E4X, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 2008 Corvette
Country flag

I know this is old but I just got my car and Im seeing the same behavior. I had a Ford Fusion with rain sensing wipers and they never turned on when it wasnā€™t raining.
Sponsored