Guinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select Standard Range; 2023 AWD Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We are somewhat short on Fast DC chargers here in SW Colorado, so I wanted to take a trip to Del Norte and try out the ChargePoint charger there. On a trip to Denver, we might very well want to use that charger.

We live about 6 miles north of Bayfield, so the trip was projected to be 108 miles. I have the standard battery with 200 mile range, so starting at 100%, I would expect to arrive in Del Norte with about 48% left. Note that Del Norte is at 7884 feet versus my house at 8000 feet, so the trip would be very slightly downhill. But when we arrived at Del Norte, the battery gauge indicated 63%. That's quite a difference from what I would have expected. The trip meter showed we got 4.1 mi/kWH. And the return trip showed 3.9 mi/kWH. I tried to run at roughly the same speeds that I have done in other vehicles.

I remember seeing someone else who talked about a trip where their Mach-E with the standard battery got a lot more mileage than they expected. I'm at a loss to explain this. BTW, the car had absolutely no problems going up or down Wolf Creek Pass. I used cruise control on the downhills to maintain the desired speed.

It's also worth noting that the Fast DC charger in Del Norte is rated at 50 kW in ChargePoint's app, but it is apparently being throttled to 20 kW. The car charged at a constant 20 kW until 80% when it dropped to about 9 kW. I have seen other notes that say the same thing about this charger. It wasn't a problem for us, since we ate lunch and had 86% charge when we departed. But it could certainly be a problem for someone who was counting on using that charger but ended up charging for 150% more time.
Sponsored