Infinite_Jester

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 2011 Chevy Suburban, 1966 Caddy
Country flag
I have used this same EVSE for 8 years, including 2 years with my ‘21 MME. Never had a single problem with it. Over past week we keep getting a clicking on and off pattern. It’s like it’s on a loop. It started to charge for 2-3 seconds, then stops, then starts again, then stops, etc.
Anyone else have similar troubles?
Maybe the latest software update messed up the timer?
I have not adjusted anything on the car for the past 8-10 months at least. Same charging settings (on a timer to charge at night).
Tried uploading a video but file too large :(
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
What was the last OTA you got and when?

OP
OP
Infinite_Jester

Infinite_Jester

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Power Up 4.3.5 on July 21.
That’s gotta be the problem, right?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Get out your Ford mobile charger and see if it will charge your MME at 240. That will help narrow down whether your clipper creek or car is having troubles.

8-yr might be the duty life of your old clipper creek, especially if you used it every few days over that time period. probably should last longer, but things do wear out.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
I have used this same EVSE for 8 years, including 2 years with my ‘21 MME. Never had a single problem with it. Over past week we keep getting a clicking on and off pattern. It’s like it’s on a loop. It started to charge for 2-3 seconds, then stops, then starts again, then stops, etc.
Anyone else have similar troubles?
Maybe the latest software update messed up the timer?
I have not adjusted anything on the car for the past 8-10 months at least. Same charging settings (on a timer to charge at night).
Tried uploading a video but file too large :(
What model clipper creek unit is it? In general they are very robust, but it sounds like a contractor died.

I am still using a clipper creek CS40 unit that was built in 2010 (I convert it to use a modern J1772 plug). My ICS200 built by EVI (EVI became clipper creek) died a few years back. It was built in 1998 for my 1999 Honda EVPlus. I converted it from AVCON to a modern J1772, but it did not survive a power spike.

I had a newer LCS25 die under warranty and it did the clicking thing…it was a power spike.

Do you know if there was a power spike?

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What model clipper creek unit is it? In general they are very robust, but it sounds like a contractor died.

I am still using a clipper creek CS40 unit that was built in 2010 (I convert it to use a modern J1772 plug). My ICS200 built by EVI (EVI became clipper creek) died a few years back. It was built in 1998 for my 1999 Honda EVPlus. I converted it from AVCON to a modern J1772, but it did not survive a power spike.

I had a newer LCS25 die under warranty and it did the clicking thing…it was a power spike.

Do you know if there was a power spike?
I should add...I am 99% sure it is NOT a fault of the car, nor caused by the car. If you plug it in to something else, the car should charge normally.

OP
OP
Infinite_Jester

Infinite_Jester

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s an HCS-40P. I ended up unplugging it and used the Ford charger at 110v for a few hours, then at night (after scheduled start time) switched to the Clipper Creek again and it worked just fine.

I did some reading on other EV forums and this issue has been reported (Audi, Mercedes, and Porsche) — seems related to scheduled charging times.

Makes me feel a bit better because hopefully I still have a functioning EVSE But of a pain tho if I can’t schedule a charge anymore.

OP
OP
Infinite_Jester

Infinite_Jester

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s an HCS-40P. I ended up unplugging it and used the Ford charger at 110v for a few hours, then at night (after scheduled start time) switched to the Clipper Creek again and it worked just fine.

I did some reading on other EV forums and this issue has been reported (Audi, Mercedes, and Porsche) — seems related to scheduled charging times.

Makes me feel a bit better because hopefully I still have a functioning EVSE But of a pain tho if I can’t schedule a charge anymore.
Hmm...glad it is working...LONG SHOT: perhaps there was a brown out on one leg that was resolved later? I have had that problem years ago at my house where one leg was at about 40V. (not charging a car when that happened).
Sponsored