Mach-e-in-MI

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-PE, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Country flag
Hey Gang. Took delivery of our GT-PE on May 5th and absolutely loving it after 3,100 miles.

Looking to purchase a 2nd set of wheels and mounting all season tires. We don't get a ton of snow and I am more concerned about running the summer tires in colder Fall and Spring weather which can vary drastically in Michigan.

Thinking we are best to get a 2nd set of wheels to run Fall-Winter-Early Spring and keep the OEM wheels w summer tires for the warmer weather. We don't plan to track the car and honestly, it's my wife's daily driver w mostly highway miles. She really doesn't care which tires - so long as they're safe, comfortable and quiet.

Questions:

1) Any opinion on Velox Vulcan wheels over ASA GT14s? With current Costco promo, they are pretty much the same cost.

2) Conti DWS 6+ are very popular with MME owners on this forum. Was going to go with All Season Michelin Primacy but leaning towards these instead.
-Any reason to stick w Ford's pick for OEM tire? Any advantage over the DWS 6+?

3) Does Tire Rack ever run promotions on the ASA Wheels? I could not find any evidence of past wheel promos using a google search.

4) Is Tire Rack's road hazard warranty better than Costco or Sam's Clubs?
-W the Clubs, I do have the benefit of lifetime tire rotation and road hazard is good for life. Tire Rack is only 2 years but assume I can service the tire anywhere. W Costco/Sams - I might need to be near one of their clubs to take advantage of the coverage? Is that True?

NOTE: I have a 7K lb QuickJack so I will likely handle my own tire rotations and install/swap outs. More of a pain but I am well referenced on the jacking points and pucks to use so as to not damage the battery.

5) Any idea how often Tire Rack runs Conti promos? Is it the same promo every month or is it on/off each other month? I would rather wait to Sept/Oct before dropping $2,.5K on tires/wheels that will sit in the garage for the summer.

Any advice you guys could provide, I would appreciate it. THX!
Sponsored

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I don't have any info on the various promotions, but regarding tires themselves, the Primacy A/S are a fine tire, (rated 540 treadwear, A temp, A traction), but the Conti DWS6+ is rated 560/A/A, and has better winter performance. So unless the Primacy were a great deal (they were actually more expensive when I bought) then I think the Conti is a better tire.

For a daily driver, take a look at the Conti Cross Climate as well - not as highly rated in the UHP tests, but supposedly quieter, probably slightly better winter performance, and longer treadlife.

For changing tires, a decent puck is helpful, but the car is easy to lift, and the jack points are easy to find. Make sure you have a long breaker bar, and a torque wrench that can reliably measure up to 150 ft/lbs, other than that, it is an easy car to swap wheels on.

OP
OP

Mach-e-in-MI

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-PE, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Country flag
Thank you!
I don't have any info on the various promotions, but regarding tires themselves, the Primacy A/S are a fine tire, (rated 540 treadwear, A temp, A traction), but the Conti DWS6+ is rated 560/A/A, and has better winter performance. So unless the Primacy were a great deal (they were actually more expensive when I bought) then I think the Conti is a better tire.

For a daily driver, take a look at the Conti Cross Climate as well - not as highly rated in the UHP tests, but supposedly quieter, probably slightly better winter performance, and longer treadlife.

For changing tires, a decent puck is helpful, but the car is easy to lift, and the jack points are easy to find. Make sure you have a long breaker bar, and a torque wrench that can reliably measure up to 150 ft/lbs, other than that, it is an easy car to swap wheels on.
This is really awesome feedback! Exactly the kind of advice I was hoping to get and thanks for the added comments on the Cross Climate. That's another option for Costco which doesn't carry the DWS6+ in my size.

PS: I think you meant Michelin Cross Climate 2. Those do have a great rating on Tire Rack as you mention, higher treadwear rating (UTQG 640 6/60K) vs Conti 6/50K.

Leaning towards the ASA wheels + DWS6+ (no feedback on either wheels-except one forum member comment about ASA GT14 having harmonic noise when applying brakes -but he doesn't have a GT-PE - others commented no similar noise and likely unique to his trim/brake combo).

With Tire Rack's current promos, the DWS6+ is $225 less than Primacy, $195 less than Cross Climate for a set of 4. Since the DWS6+ has a Y speed rating (vs V), it might have better overall performance at the expense of less traction in snow (though still very good).

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You are going to have a hard time finding an installer who will rotate Tirerack-sourced tires for free. With that said, I have bought a ton of tires and brakes from them.
Sponsored