Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach e Select AWB standard battery
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Hello from Hartford Connecticut.

I will post some pictures once it warms up enough to wash the salt off.

Initial Impressions

I took delivery of my 2021 Mach e Select AWD Standard Battery model. It is a lease car for work, which is definitely the sweetest company car I have had the privilege to drive. I probably would not have considered the Mach e if I was choosing myself. I was not 100% ready to make a personal commitment to all electric with the current grid for charging. Primarily, the car is a tool for my work, and I spend a lot of time in it for my job.

My job involves an average of 100 miles of travel per day, 3 to 4 days per week. The maximum range on a charge of 210 miles works fine, but winter here in the NorthEast reduce it to 170 when temps drop below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a little bit of a challenge on my long mile days right now.

The cabin is more luxurious than I was expecting, and so far is a big step up from my previous car. It already seems to make my time on the road less stressful. The sound system, though not the Bang & Olufsen, sounds great to my unsophisticated ear. Due to the quietness of the cabin, it is very easy to actually enjoy music at conversational volumes while driving at highway speeds. My initial impression is smooth, quiet power, in a smooth quiet environment, which is exactly what I need for a work tool.

Immediately noticeable is the quirkiness of the software running the electronics and essentially the whole car. I spent an hour trying to get the Ford Pass to work, and gave up, and so far have been only using the key fob. The driver door recognized the key when the car was first delivered, but within hours I had to use any other door, besides the driver door, to gain access to the car ā€“ quirky. Android Auto works 85% of the time without issue, but every now and then, I need to shut the car off, and reboot the phone to get it to work again ā€“ quirky. The car locks the doors and honks when I get out to hook up at an on the road charger -- quirky. Sometimes I can hookup to EVGO or Electrify America, and sometimes I cannot -- quirky. There are so many quirky things, and the forums seem to be full of quirky issues.

I have my first dealer service appointment to address these quirks next week, and hope that they will get things sorted in short order, although after reading these forums, it looks like the onus to get it right falls on the buyer's shoulders.

Receiving this car is similar to receiving my first computer. The learning curve is steep, with layers and layers of screens to learn and understand.

I have mixed feelings about Driver Assist. My initial impression is that Driver Assist has been drinking. It wanders back and forth in the lanes, stays way too close to the lines or side of the road, swerves wildly in corners, and hits center lane rumble strips if not monitored closely. It made me feel very uncomfortable at first. However, it does an excellent job in stop and go highway traffic, and on long open stretches. I am finding that Driver Assist can reduce stress if I use it to control speed, and generally keep me headed in the right direction while I grab a sip of water. It is not anywhere close to being a self driving mode. On twisty roads, it is not useful at all. It has poor handling in turns, and does not seem to anticipate slowing traffic , or upcoming turns quick enough to avoid rapid deceleration. So far, I consider Driver Assistance to be just an extra layer of protection, slightly beyond standard cruise control following technology.

Although other reviewers have reported a bouncy ride, for me it is a step up from my previous car, quieter and smoother. Even at 80 miles per hour the cabin is exceptionally quiet. It seems to be at its worst on old city roads at slow speeds, but what car isnā€™t? Although this trim level is not super fast, the electric motors instill confidence in any normal driving situation where speed and acceleration are needed with a decent amount of control. For me it is the perfect combination of power, cabin comfort, and cache. The cache part can be interesting because I find that the car is often ogled by performance car and truck drivers who race up behind me, change lanes, pull up alongside, and give a good, long look before racing off to wherever they are in a hurry to get to.

I love the one pedal drive option. I think being light footed on the accelerator pedal from my previous hybrid driving experience has made this driving mode easier for me than others. None of my passengers have complained about jerkiness or roller coaster feel, and all say the ride is very smooth and quiet.

I was spoiled from over 600,000 miles of driving early adopted hybrids with zero defects along the way. Literally replacing nothing but oil, tires, spark plugs, and brake pads, I drove one of those cars over 310,000 before a drunk driver rear ended me and damaged it beyond repair. That car was still getting 32 miles per gallon, and the internal combustion engine sounded like it did when I drove it off the dealership lot.

If this was not a lease car provided by my company, I would be pretty unhappy with the glitches in the Synch 4 software. This might even have been a deal breaker. The software is central to every system needed to make the Mach e run. If there are problems with the software, the problems for the driver can be major. I am counting on Ford to step up their game in the software department, because even though this car is provided by the company I work for, I have to live with it for the next 3 years. If they fix the software glitches, this car will be a world beater just like the original Mustang. If they donā€™t, it would be a huge opportunity missed, and a huge disappointment.
Sponsored

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Welcome and congrats. Is your MME the space white one with the racing stripe down the middle I've seen around? I totally agree with you on all your BlueCruise points. I do think there was a bit of learning curve with the software, but I may have been luckier with not having so many problems. I've had good luck with chargers in the area except the Cumby's/EVGo in West Hartford.

OP
OP
Samfatboy

Samfatboy

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Welcome and congrats. Is your MME the space white one with the racing stripe down the middle I've seen around? I totally agree with you on all your BlueCruise points. I do think there was a bit of learning curve with the software, but I may have been luckier with not having so many problems. I've had good luck with chargers in the area except the Cumby's/EVGo in West Hartford.
The Cumberland EVGo was one that I had problems at, maybe it was because it was only 17 degrees out. Mine is Charcoal Grey, no racing stripes. Overall I love the car, but reading some of the posts about the 'Gear Wrench' pull over and find service problems concern me on these colder days. I have an appointment with Gengras in New Britain on 1/24 to sort out the PAAK, door lock, and other issues. I am very grateful for this forum and will have a checklist of TSB, SSM and CSPs to go over with the technician. From what I have read in the forums, it often takes two or three dealer visits to get thing sorted.

OP
OP
Samfatboy

Samfatboy

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Hello from Hartford Connecticut.

I will post some pictures once it warms up enough to wash the salt off.

Initial Impressions

I took delivery of my 2021 Mach e Select AWD Standard Battery model. It is a lease car for work, which is definitely the sweetest company car I have had the privilege to drive. I probably would not have considered the Mach e if I was choosing myself. I was not 100% ready to make a personal commitment to all electric with the current grid for charging. Primarily, the car is a tool for my work, and I spend a lot of time in it for my job.

My job involves an average of 100 miles of travel per day, 3 to 4 days per week. The maximum range on a charge of 210 miles works fine, but winter here in the NorthEast reduce it to 170 when temps drop below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a little bit of a challenge on my long mile days right now.

The cabin is more luxurious than I was expecting, and so far is a big step up from my previous car. It already seems to make my time on the road less stressful. The sound system, though not the Bang & Olufsen, sounds great to my unsophisticated ear. Due to the quietness of the cabin, it is very easy to actually enjoy music at conversational volumes while driving at highway speeds. My initial impression is smooth, quiet power, in a smooth quiet environment, which is exactly what I need for a work tool.

Immediately noticeable is the quirkiness of the software running the electronics and essentially the whole car. I spent an hour trying to get the Ford Pass to work, and gave up, and so far have been only using the key fob. The driver door recognized the key when the car was first delivered, but within hours I had to use any other door, besides the driver door, to gain access to the car ā€“ quirky. Android Auto works 85% of the time without issue, but every now and then, I need to shut the car off, and reboot the phone to get it to work again ā€“ quirky. The car locks the doors and honks when I get out to hook up at an on the road charger -- quirky. Sometimes I can hookup to EVGO or Electrify America, and sometimes I cannot -- quirky. There are so many quirky things, and the forums seem to be full of quirky issues.

I have my first dealer service appointment to address these quirks next week, and hope that they will get things sorted in short order, although after reading these forums, it looks like the onus to get it right falls on the buyer's shoulders.

Receiving this car is similar to receiving my first computer. The learning curve is steep, with layers and layers of screens to learn and understand.

I have mixed feelings about Driver Assist. My initial impression is that Driver Assist has been drinking. It wanders back and forth in the lanes, stays way too close to the lines or side of the road, swerves wildly in corners, and hits center lane rumble strips if not monitored closely. It made me feel very uncomfortable at first. However, it does an excellent job in stop and go highway traffic, and on long open stretches. I am finding that Driver Assist can reduce stress if I use it to control speed, and generally keep me headed in the right direction while I grab a sip of water. It is not anywhere close to being a self driving mode. On twisty roads, it is not useful at all. It has poor handling in turns, and does not seem to anticipate slowing traffic , or upcoming turns quick enough to avoid rapid deceleration. So far, I consider Driver Assistance to be just an extra layer of protection, slightly beyond standard cruise control following technology.

Although other reviewers have reported a bouncy ride, for me it is a step up from my previous car, quieter and smoother. Even at 80 miles per hour the cabin is exceptionally quiet. It seems to be at its worst on old city roads at slow speeds, but what car isnā€™t? Although this trim level is not super fast, the electric motors instill confidence in any normal driving situation where speed and acceleration are needed with a decent amount of control. For me it is the perfect combination of power, cabin comfort, and cache. The cache part can be interesting because I find that the car is often ogled by performance car and truck drivers who race up behind me, change lanes, pull up alongside, and give a good, long look before racing off to wherever they are in a hurry to get to.

I love the one pedal drive option. I think being light footed on the accelerator pedal from my previous hybrid driving experience has made this driving mode easier for me than others. None of my passengers have complained about jerkiness or roller coaster feel, and all say the ride is very smooth and quiet.

I was spoiled from over 600,000 miles of driving early adopted hybrids with zero defects along the way. Literally replacing nothing but oil, tires, spark plugs, and brake pads, I drove one of those cars over 310,000 before a drunk driver rear ended me and damaged it beyond repair. That car was still getting 32 miles per gallon, and the internal combustion engine sounded like it did when I drove it off the dealership lot.

If this was not a lease car provided by my company, I would be pretty unhappy with the glitches in the Synch 4 software. This might even have been a deal breaker. The software is central to every system needed to make the Mach e run. If there are problems with the software, the problems for the driver can be major. I am counting on Ford to step up their game in the software department, because even though this car is provided by the company I work for, I have to live with it for the next 3 years. If they fix the software glitches, this car will be a world beater just like the original Mustang. If they donā€™t, it would be a huge opportunity missed, and a huge disappointment.
Update, I dropped my car, Fred, off to Gengras Ford today to begin the update process. Although my car door tag indicates a 7/21 build date, it has all the issues associated with CSP 21P22. I received an over the air update to 1.7.1 last week.

They asked me what issues I was having. I mentioned PAAK issues, Door unlock issues, Driver Assistance issues, Bluetooth issues, and a few others. Even though I gave the service receptionist a printout of the SSMs that pertained to the issues I was having, she wanted me to specifically recite the issues I was having.

After her initial uptake of info, she took the printout I gave her, and went up to visit with the tech. The tech came down, and was very open about all of the software challenges faced with the Mach e, and he indicated that techs were disappointed with Ford as well for their communication and management of the various software and system issues.

The tech had the service receptionist print out the VHA/DTC Status and History report, which showed that there were no VHAs or DTCs or recalls pending on the vehicle. He then reviewed the SSMs I had prepared for him, and I explained that even though my car shows as a July 6, 2021 build, it exhibits all of symptoms associated with CSP 21P22. He assured me that he will put the car on the system, pull all of the codes, and review what needs to be done. He said it would likely take several days to get the various systems sorted out.

The service receptionist called me an hour later and let me know that the service tech was starting, and they would give me an update this afternoon with what updates will be required, and how that schedule may look.

They are down two out of three IT Techs due to various health issues. This is the story I hear everywhere I go, shorthanded. I feel for the people left to handle to chaos.

Looking forward to the call this afternoon to see what they find.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
CT has a terrible fast charging availability. For winter, an ER battery is necessary since your 230 range will be closer to 150 in the winter. The ER battery is giving me 170 miles at 90%.

OP
OP
Samfatboy

Samfatboy

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
CT has a terrible fast charging availability. For winter, an ER battery is necessary since your 230 range will be closer to 150 in the winter. The ER battery is giving me 170 miles at 90%.
Agreed on fast charging availability. For me the 150 range is okay for most of my days. I also have shifted my in-car work routine to do computer work and administration while plugged into an L2 charger. Monday was an office day. I moved my office to the Eversource charger and got 60 miles free in 4.0 hours, with heated seat, and heater going and Syrius playing some good background music. At least I am getting some of my over-priced electricity back in free miles while I do my admin work.:D

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
Update, I dropped my car, Fred, off to Gengras Ford today to begin the update process. Although my car door tag indicates a 7/21 build date, it has all the issues associated with CSP 21P22. I received an over the air update to 1.7.1 last week.

They asked me what issues I was having. I mentioned PAAK issues, Door unlock issues, Driver Assistance issues, Bluetooth issues, and a few others. Even though I gave the service receptionist a printout of the SSMs that pertained to the issues I was having, she wanted me to specifically recite the issues I was having.

After her initial uptake of info, she took the printout I gave her, and went up to visit with the tech. The tech came down, and was very open about all of the software challenges faced with the Mach e, and he indicated that techs were disappointed with Ford as well for their communication and management of the various software and system issues.

The tech had the service receptionist print out the VHA/DTC Status and History report, which showed that there were no VHAs or DTCs or recalls pending on the vehicle. He then reviewed the SSMs I had prepared for him, and I explained that even though my car shows as a July 6, 2021 build, it exhibits all of symptoms associated with CSP 21P22. He assured me that he will put the car on the system, pull all of the codes, and review what needs to be done. He said it would likely take several days to get the various systems sorted out.

The service receptionist called me an hour later and let me know that the service tech was starting, and they would give me an update this afternoon with what updates will be required, and how that schedule may look.

They are down two out of three IT Techs due to various health issues. This is the story I hear everywhere I go, shorthanded. I feel for the people left to handle to chaos.

Looking forward to the call this afternoon to see what they find.
Best of luck!!

I hear you on the availability... I had ford working with me on a issue that they want me to go to a dealership for. Told them to look in westchester or fairfield county for any ford dealership... closest they could get me was a dealership 20min away with an appointment a month out! Some dealerships are pushing 2-3mo out, especially saying they only have 1-2 EV certified techs and such
Sponsored