SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The "not a Mustang" crowd are hilarious.

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Identity Crisis” but a Happy Article by The Atlantic: A Classic American Car Is Having an Identity Crisis s-l16002

Ford Mustang Mach-E “Identity Crisis” but a Happy Article by The Atlantic: A Classic American Car Is Having an Identity Crisis s-l1600

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
The Mach E is a fantastic vehicle but it’s absolutely not a Mustang. It’s an SUV for the love of God.

This post is a historical novel.
Ford makes the car. Ford gets to name the car. Ford called it a Mustang. That makes it a Mustang.

Screwtape

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln
Occupation
Worker
Country flag
The word ”Mustang” holds extraordinary cultural value to entire generations of Americans.

The Mach E is not in alignment with the multiple decades of ideas and concepts that are universally identified as belonging to that important (to some) word.

Do any of the Mustang forums have MachE sections?

This post is named devmach-e.

OP
OP

Lloydian

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Bookkeeper
Country flag
As a former owner of a 1985 Ford Mustang, I'm going to have to point out that Ford has made some decidedly mediocre Mustangs over the years. Mine was a rebranded Mercury Capri, but 20 year old me bought it, in part, for the name. The fact is that none of us gets to choose which cars get the emblem. Ford does. And as a happy former ICE Mustang owner (my last one was a 2015 model), I'm pleased as punch to have my current Mustang.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
The word ”Mustang” holds extraordinary cultural value to entire generations of Americans.

The Mach E is not in alignment with the multiple decades of ideas and concepts that are universally identified as belonging to that important (to some) word.

So...there's no room for progress? I'm no automotive historian, but the Mustang has not always been a muscle car - in fact a friend of mine has a '78, which to me, is very much "not a Mustang". Yet it is.

Ford gets to decide the definition, not us. To wit, just about anyone who refers to my car invariably says "Hey, how do you like your Mustang?"

"I'm in favor of progress, it's change I don't like...."
- Mark Twain

Screwtape

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln
Occupation
Worker
Country flag
So...there's no room for progress? I'm no automotive historian, but the Mustang has not always been a muscle car - in fact a friend of mine has a '78, which to me, is very much "not a Mustang". Yet it is.

Ford gets to decide the definition, not us. To wit, just about anyone who refers to my car invariably says "Hey, how do you like your Mustang?"

"I'm in favor of progress, it's change I don't like...."
- Mark Twain
Fords marketing team holds no sway over the icon of American culture that is the Mustang. It’s a word that ha enormous cultural identity, in America and around the world, an SUV has never inspired a hit rock-and-roll song.

Progress has been made throughout several iterations of the two-door sportscar that is the Mustang. The ill fated Mustang II from the Malaise Era of automotive manufacturing has been widely rejected as a Mustang yet stays far truer to the foundational aspects of what a Mustang is globally known to be than the MachE.

Progress would’ve been naming this vehicle an Explorer, a transformational vehicle within its own right.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Fords marketing team holds no sway over the icon of American culture that is the Mustang. It’s a word that ha enormous cultural identity, in America and around the world, an SUV has never inspired a hit rock-and-roll song.

Progress has been made throughout several iterations of the two-door sportscar that is the Mustang. The ill fated Mustang II from the Malaise Era of automotive manufacturing has been widely rejected as a Mustang yet stays far truer to the foundational aspects of what a Mustang is globally known to be than the MachE.

Progress would’ve been naming this vehicle an Explorer, a transformational vehicle within its own right.
Just because the Mustang has never been an "SUV" (I'll argue the MME isn't) doesn't preclude it from being one now. Romantic visions of what the Mustang "should be" are being continually redefined with each new iteration. The Mach-E is a new iteration of the Mustang.

Progress.

Last edited:

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Explorers are boxy and more utilitarian.

Its a great debate, the car looks mean, handles well, can be tossed around and have the back kick out. So yeah its a mustang, sort of. If you go around saying you drive a "mustang GT" that would imply you are driving an ICE, I think in general you should say, "mustang mach-e" or "electric mustang" but thats me. Had it been a "real mustang" I never would have considered it, I needed more space, 4 doors and AWD.

Swanlee

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
System Admin
Country flag
As a former owner of a 1985 Ford Mustang, I'm going to have to point out that Ford has made some decidedly mediocre Mustangs over the years. Mine was a rebranded Mercury Capri, but 20 year old me bought it, in part, for the name. The fact is that none of us gets to choose which cars get the emblem. Ford does. And as a happy former ICE Mustang owner (my last one was a 2015 model), I'm pleased as punch to have my current Mustang.
Yea in my day Mustang was a second class muscle car that was always breaking down and had issues and was ugly as sin in the 80s.

Personally I think the Mach e is actually a better car then most Mustangs and better engineered.
To me the Mustang name actually does more to harm to the Mach E itself then the other way around.
The car is a step above most MUSTANGS

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

Do you consider the Mustang IIs to be real Mustang? What about 4-cylinder turbos? Or the hatchback Fox Body Mustangs?

I'll point out that Bill Ford, huge Mustang collector, gave his blessing to call the Mach-E a Mustang. Had he not, they would've called it something else.

Screwtape

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln
Occupation
Worker
Country flag
Yea in my day Mustang was a second class muscle car that was always breaking down and had issues and was ugly as sin in the 80s.

Personally I think the Mach e is actually a better car then most Mustangs and better engineered.
To me the Mustang name actually does more to harm to the Mach E itself then the other way around.
The car is a step above most MUSTANGS
Maybe a step sideways :)

Most folks looking to buy a Mustang will not be cross-shopping a MachE, I believe that speaks volumes.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag

So, let me ask. Would you consider the 1981 Mustang a real Mustang with it's 120 horsepower?

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
So, let me ask. Would you consider the 1981 Mustang a real Mustang with it's 120 horsepower?
I asked the same thing. They have yet to respond.

But consider that the Mustang Club of America, the biggest Mustang enthusiast orginazation accepts that the Mustang II, including the aforementioned 1981, is a Mustang. And they also accept the fact the Mach-E is a Mustang. Way back in the day the general membership wanted to exclude the Mustang II. Cooler heads at the director level prevailed and now nobody thinks twice about the Mustang II being a cherished example of the Mustang. And so shall the Mach-E be seen in the same vein. Eventually. Once all the die-hard Mustang fans who all peaked in high school have died off.
Sponsored