But WHY is it called a mustang??

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
It's not clear to me if you know the story about this from how you phrased your comment, so for the sake of completeness, I'm going to assume you don't.

Tesla started with the S because he thinks he's funny. Ford already owned the use of E for an electric vehicle, so he went with the Model 3 instead of the Model E... Tesla thus makes "S3XY" cars.

this was completely by design and is well-documented eg New Tesla Model Y completes joke that Elon Musk has been working on for 10 years | The Independent | The Independent
Who cares. A billionaire pot head. The designs really seem dated or will be dated like art-deco. Itā€™s his cult marketing gig. He got his cult. And is following Henryā€™s foot steps to a ā€œTā€.
Sponsored

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
It's fast, has a lot of torque. Its innovative. Those are some of the key points from the very first mustang.
It's also styled like a mustang. The turning signals, the front hood. Everything aside from the four doors. I would say I can find more similarities than differences to the mustang line.

It's more of a mustang than that silly V4 ICE.

When people tell me its not a mustang, i just say yes it is, and its better because I can beat you at the strip AND I get 2 bonus doors!
Lmao at V4 ?. Itā€™s an I4, and itā€™s turbocharged just like the ā€˜84-86 Mustang SVOs were. And there were other 4 cylinder Mustangs way before those too. So, no, itā€™s not ā€œmoreā€ of a Mustang than any 4, 6, or 8 cylinder Mustang coupe. But, it is a Mustang whether some people can handle it or not.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The manufacturer has branded it a Mustang and it meets the brand standards for a Mustang, as I understand them. Consider: is a Focus RS a Focus? What about a Focus SE? Iā€™d argue that a Mustang Mach E is more aligned to the Mustang brand standard than a Focus RS is aligned to the Focus brand standard.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
I put the chance of it sticking around for the long-term at 50/50. Whatā€™s next for the ā€œMustangā€ brand? Maybe it will be such a success that it will be able to spawn more ā€œMustangsā€, but itā€™s more likely that there is too much equity in the other Ford model names that the Mach E wonā€™t have a place after there is an electric f-150, ā€œrealā€ mustang, explorer, edge, etc.

My guess itā€™s a beta vehicle (Iā€™m ok with it) that will serve its purpose without potentially damaging the more lucrative brands. Imagine if Fordā€™s first real shot was an electric Explorer and it failed.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Ford could have used any number of names for the MAch-E, and the fact that they chose Mustang goes to show that they are serious about expanding the Mustang lineage.

Just think they could have brought back a name I truly hate and called it the "Probe" Mach-E!? just imagine what people would think about an electric Probe.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
Ford could have used any number of names for the MAch-E, and the fact that they chose Mustang goes to show that they are serious about expanding the Mustang lineage.

Just think they could have brought back a name I truly hate and called it the "Probe" Mach-E!? just imagine what people would think about an electric Probe.
Partly agree, but I donā€™t think we will see them continue to water down the Mustang brand with other vehicle types. Once is ok, and we get why they had to do it, but Ford hasnā€™t exactly shown a roadmap for the brand.

What they have shown since the Mach E reveal is an electric F-150, electric Transit and next an electric Lincoln SUV. Havenā€™t heard about another ā€œMustangā€ vehicleā€¦I mean even Polestar, another new brand, is already hyping up their next vehicle.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Lmao at V4 ?. Itā€™s an I4, and itā€™s turbocharged just like the ā€˜84-86 Mustang SVOs were. And there were other 4 cylinder Mustangs way before those too. So, no, itā€™s not ā€œmoreā€ of a Mustang than any 4, 6, or 8 cylinder Mustang coupe. But, it is a Mustang whether some people can handle it or not.
yeah, the EcoBoost has substantially more torque and HP than my 1995 "5.0" had... even the V6 is ahead at this point. Technology! :)

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Mustang GT
Country flag
Well, because Ford did a lot of research and determined that of the trademarks they hold, "Mustang" tested better than "Pinto" or "Edsel."

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Galaxy is already in use in Europe. Torino maybe, oh wait, that was also a 2 door.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Oh look. Just what we need, thread #666 on why itā€™s called a Mustang. The admin bots ought to just lock snd B public execute these threads.
Sponsored