12V Battery Fault - Service Soon in FordPass

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
On Friday, I received this warning in FordPass (iOS, 3.35.0) while I was in my garage (car was outside but close). I recently bought a 12V plug in USB adapter to get the voltage meter and had it plugged in an hour earlier after remote starting the car for 10 minutes. That was showing 15.1V when the car was in Ready (started), and around 13V in accessory power mode. I turned off the car, the charger thing went dark.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 12V Battery Fault - Service Soon in FordPass IMG_0117

So after getting this warning, I went to the car and unplugged that adapter just to be sure.

On Saturday, I plugged in an OBDlink MX+, ran their software and found only 4 DTCs, all related to IPMA. It also showed me a 15.1V when the car was running. I did a few 4-5 mile trips to do my errands, my wife following in her car. During this time, about 2.5 hours, I watched the battery meter on the OBDlink app, and it started at 15.1V, next trip 15V, final leg 14.9V. No new DTCs or anything of note.

So questions for the experts: should I have expected the car to register a DTC when the app warned me? I'm sure the dealer won't act on the battery if the car is not reporting anything.

And, a theory: I was in my garage, the car was outside, maybe 10-30 feet away from my position - I was moving around a bit. I wonder if the car was waking up because it received frequent Bluetooth pings from my phone, leading to battery drain? I have seen others talk about this same notification when their car was in a detail shop getting PPF applied, so it's very possible the same thing happens with the fob, which the detailer probably needed to have on their person since the car would walk-away lock and they wouldn't have access to PaaK.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeffGo

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I realized that I only connected to one of the CAN networks. I will look at all the others today.

OP
OP
JeffGo

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I managed to clear the IPMA errors (at least for now) and checked the other networks that OBDlink software could reach, then I went to FORscan. Some FORscan results (looks like these are common, I see other complaints here). Can't pinpoint anything that says my 12V battery is dying, so spurious in FordPass?

===CMR DTC B115E:97-0C===
Code: B115E - Camera Module

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Component Or System Operation Obstructed Or Blocked

- DTC Maturing - Intermittent at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Camera Module Rear
===END CMR DTC===

===CMR DTC B15E1:97-0C===
Code: B15E1 - Driver Side LED

===END CMR DTC===

===CMR DTC B15E2:97-0C===
Code: B15E2 - Passenger Side LED

===END CMR DTC===

===GFM DTC U0100:00-0A===
Code: U0100 - Lost Communication With ECM/PCM A

- DTC Present at Time of Request

Module: Generic Function Module
===END GFM DTC===

===GFM DTC U0293:00-0A===
Code: U0293 - Lost Communication With Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module A

- DTC Present at Time of Request

Module: Generic Function Module
===END GFM DTC===

===HVAC DTC U0422:68-08===
Code: U0422 - Invalid Data Received From Body Control Module

- Event Information

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request

Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning
===END HVAC DTC===

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
You should regularly check not only voltage, but the state of charge of the 12V battery. Then check it again when FordPass warning appears to see what 12V SOC level triggers the warning.

The 12V SOC is probably available in Forscan. I get it with Car Scanner ElmObd2 app (works with OBDlink adapter), as well as the 12V standby drain.

OP
OP
JeffGo

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You should regularly check not only voltage, but the state of charge of the 12V battery. Then check it again when FordPass warning appears to see what 12V SOC level triggers the warning.

The 12V SOC is probably available in Forscan. I get it with Car Scanner ElmObd2 app (works with OBDlink adapter), as well as the 12V standby drain.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look for those - hope I can find them.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
OP
OP
JeffGo

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's hard to say exactly what's causing these battery drain issues, probably a combination of factors. Walking around your car a bunch with your phone could do it since it will partially wake up. If you haven't yet, try to get 21P22 updates installed at your dealer.

Also recommend you separately charge your 12V battery to restore it to 100%: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-recondition-service-your-12v-battery.11069/
As I previously posted, my service manager informed me that 21P22 was a response to my issue.

I read the thread about reconditioning the battery. I'm not against this (my simple battery charger is not sufficient) but would like to see some indicator from my car (not FordPass) that there is an actual issue with the battery. I'll try to get the SOC parameter today, maybe that would give a better indication.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I posted on another thread ... my car also did this. (12v battery warning in FordPass but no warning in the car). I tested the battery voltage and it was fine (test voltage with the car off ... otherwise it'll read about 15v when the car is on because the high-voltage pack is connected. I have a small voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet ... about $10 on Amazon).

I spoke to Ford today and they are aware some owners are seeing this but also mentioned they have seen this internally (on their own cars) as well -- but the cars are fine. It appears to be sent to FordPass in error. They suspect a server-side issue and are looking into why it is happening.

If your 12v battery shows proper voltage (with the car off) and the car itself isn't throwing the error (you are only seeing in the FordPass app) you can probably ignore this. If your car throws the error and/or if you test battery voltage (with the car off) and it's low then you should probably take it in.

OP
OP
JeffGo

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FORScan does show this - once I found the parameter among thousands. Voltage today was 14.9, SOC 75-79%. I’ll keep an eye on it especially when the app throws the warning. I’m still suffering from ptsd after the catastrophic parking pawl failure last month.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I posted on another thread ... my car also did this. (12v battery warning in FordPass but no warning in the car). I tested the battery voltage and it was fine (test voltage with the car off ... otherwise it'll read about 15v when the car is on because the high-voltage pack is connected. I have a small voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet ... about $10 on Amazon).

I spoke to Ford today and they are aware some owners are seeing this but also mentioned they have seen this internally (on their own cars) as well -- but the cars are fine. It appears to be sent to FordPass in error. They suspect a server-side issue and are looking into why it is happening.

If your 12v battery shows proper voltage (with the car off) and the car itself isn't throwing the error (you are only seeing in the FordPass app) you can probably ignore this. If your car throws the error and/or if you test battery voltage (with the car off) and it's low then you should probably take it in.
Thanks for this. I got the same error in Ford Pass a week ago, It’s been pretty cold and I’ve not driven the car much so figured that there might be a little drain. But I’ve had zero issues with the car since. I have an appt Tu AM to take the car in but I think I’ll cancel it. Sounds like this is a non issue to me.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Thanks for this. I got the same error in Ford Pass a week ago, It’s been pretty cold and I’ve not driven the car much so figured that there might be a little drain. But I’ve had zero issues with the car since. I have an appt Tu AM to take the car in but I think I’ll cancel it. Sounds like this is a non issue to me.
I got this alert twice in FordPass on two different days. I went to the dealer and they found no problem with the 12v battery.

I had them do the 21P22 Customer Satisfaction Calibration while it was there so it wasn’t a total waste.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I got this alert twice in FordPass on two different days. I went to the dealer and they found no problem with the 12v battery.

I had them do the 21P22 Customer Satisfaction Calibration while it was there so it wasn’t a total waste.
I had 21P22 applied just days before it happened. Still got the error but I’m going to ignore it since the car didn’t display any error messages, just the app.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
Just before taking the car in for the windshield and roof recall I started to get this 12v battery fault message. Got the car in March and now has over 6000 miles. Pointed this out to the dealer and they did 21P22 and SSM 46976 for the PAAK (I think they did this once before when I actually had an issue with the doors.). Plugged the car in when I got home and with setting messed up it charged to 100%. Reset the charge at home to 90%. Drove the car to 76%. Then to prepare for a 300 mile round trip I plugged in to top off to 90% Right when I plugged in the charger FordPass popped the 12v Battery Fault. That just seems an odd cooincedence to me.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
First: Don't panic (also... Ford knows about this issue)

Second: I have had this error.

A VERY LONG TIME AGO there was a real issue where the 12v battery wasn't properly maintained. But this has long since been fixed.

When the car is "off", there are a number of modules that must remain "on". There is a relay that can connect/disconnect the high-voltage battery. It is physically disconnected when the car is "off" for safety reasons. But several modules have to remain "on" when the car is "off" (e.g. to handle messages from the cloud, from the key-fob or PaaK, alarm system, etc. etc.). This means the 12v battery is always being drained even when you aren't using the car. It's a gentle drain ... but not zero.

So it turns out there is a module whose purpose is to monitor the voltage of the 12v battery and make sure it is topped-off as needed.

The original 12v battery issue was real ... in certain conditions the car wouldn't properly recharge the 12v battery and it would get too low to keep essential modules alive. This was fixed LONG ago.

But somewhat recently I have noticed the car will throw errors... but no actual problem exists.

The original issue was fixed back in March.

More recently, I've seen the error and had the car checked ... but no real problems exists. The 12v system does legit get low enough to need a maintenance charge. But the car handles it correctly (based on log data) ... but it issues the error anyway. It seems to to be a false alarm.

You can buy devices that plug into the 12v receptacle (in the compartment under the arm-rest) to charge cellphones, etc.... but some of them will report the voltage at the outlet. (for example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P3YDZ6F ). @AEtherScythe and I have one of these (there are a loads of similar products ... don't take this as a product-endorsement). Plug it into the receptacle under the arm-rest (make sure the car is "off") and measure the voltage. (Note that if the car is "on" it will read something very close to 15v ... but when the car is "off" (and wait at least 10 minutes) you'll get a proper reading of the low-voltage battery.

Also... a 12v battery does NOT supply 12 volts. It's a 12 volt "system" (with a bit of wiggle room)... a new 12v battery in excellent condition may actually read closer to 14v (e.g. 13.8) and if it is being charged it might read closer to 15v. Even if you are reading in the upper 11v range (but not quite 12v) you are sill ok. If you are reading less than 11v ... then you may have a real problem.

Last edited:

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
First: Don't panic (also... Ford knows about this issue)

Second: I have had this error.

A VERY LONG TIME AGO there was a real issue where the 12v battery wasn't properly maintained. But this has long since been fixed.

When the car is "off", there are a number of modules that must remain "on". There is a relay that can connect/disconnect the high-voltage battery. It is physically disconnected when the car is "off" for safety reasons. But several modules have to remain "on" when the car is "off" (e.g. to handle messages from the cloud, from the key-fob or PaaK, alarm system, etc. etc.). This means the 12v battery is always being drained even when you aren't using the car. It's a gentle drain ... but not zero.

So it turns out there is a module whose purpose is to monitor the voltage of the 12v battery and make sure it is topped-off as needed.

The original 12v battery issue was real ... in certain conditions the car wouldn't properly recharge the 12v battery and it would get too low to keep essential modules alive. This was fixed LONG ago.

But somewhat recently I have noticed the car will throw errors... but no actual problem exists.

The original issue was fixed back in March.

More recently, I've seen the error and had the car checked ... but no real problems exists. The 12v system does legit get low enough to need a maintenance charge. But the car handles it correctly (based on log data) ... but it issues the error anyway. It seems to to be a false alarm.

You can buy devices that plug into the 12v receptacle (in the compartment under the arm-rest) to charge cellphones, etc.... but some of them will report the voltage at the outlet. (for example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P3YDZ6F ). @AEtherScythe and I have one of these (there are a loads of similar products ... don't take this as a product-endorsement). Plug it into the receptacle under the arm-rest (make sure the car is "off") and measure the voltage. (Note that if the car is "on" it will read something very close to 15v ... but when the car is "off" (and wait at least 10 minutes) you'll get a proper reading of the low-voltage battery.

Also... a 12v battery does NOT supply 12 volts. It's a 12 volt "system" (with a bit of wiggle room)... a new 12v battery in excellent condition may actually read closer to 14v (e.g. 13.8) and if it is being charged it might read closer to 15v. Even if you are reading in the upper 11v range (but not quite 12v) you are sill ok. If you are reading less than 11v ... then you may have a real problem.
Thanks. I would suggest based on these erroneous msgs that the language be changed from 12v fault to -- your LVB is being managed by your HVB to help battery tender. HVB is at 79% and LVB is at 90% charge.
Sponsored