2025 Corvette SUV... not EV apparently

Azuloval

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer
Country flag
I know it's not exactly direct competition especially since the electric Corvette SUV seems to have been tabled or pushed further out... but this could be interesting.

2025 Corvette SUV Will Fight the Porsche Cayenne with up to 682 HP
0-64344cd2efc64.jpg?crop=0.645xw:0.608xh;0.168xw,0.jpg

From the May 2023 issue of Car and Driver.

After decades of epic sports-car battles between Chevrolet Corvettes and Porsche 911s, Chevy is queuing up a new rivalry against Stuttgart's highest-performing SUVs. Rather than expend resources to designate a new lineup of high-test sport-utility vehicles, Chevrolet will call its subbrand a name synonymous with performance: Corvette.

It's shocking General Motors took this long to add a true performance SUV to one of its model lines. After all, Porsche's high-roof five-seaters—the Macan and Cayenne—continue to be its bestsellers year after year. Their high profit margins fund insanity such as the 718 GT4 RS and the 911 GT3 RS.

General Motors designed its Alpha platform to underpin the best driving machines around. To date, the only model of the five built on it not to make our 10Best list at least once is the Cadillac ATS.
Remove any previous expectations that the Corvette SUV will be electrified, at least not at first. The SUV will be built on the celebrated Alpha platform that underpins the Camaro and the spectacular Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwings. The platform alone suggests the Corvette SUV will be both entertaining to drive and potentially sold in two sizes. Again, think Macan and Cayenne.

The Alpha platform allows access to GM's vast powertrain catalog. If Chevy builds a Macan competitor, we'd expect a 300-plus-hp turbo four to serve as the base engine and a twin-turbo V-6 with 400 or so horsepower at the top. To challenge the Cayenne, the larger SUV will get that twin-turbo V-6, while the nearly 500-hp 6.2-liter V-8 will belt out its American song in the higher trims. Expect the Vette SUV to come standard with all-wheel drive and a 10-speed automatic across the board, with magnetorheological dampers an optional extra.

-64344b8d50930.jpg?crop=0.878xw:0.585xh;0.0527xw,0.jpg

Illustration By BradBuilds|Car and Driver

At the top of the Corvette SUV lineup is where things should get very interesting. After the initial launch, and to no one's surprise, the SUV will receive the Z0-something treatment to put the most exotic utility vehicles directly in Chevrolet's crosshairs. The Cadillac Escalade V's supercharged 682-hp 6.2-liter V-8 should do it, along with carbon-ceramic brakes and tires as wide as the Mississippi. All of this while still undercutting the competition by tens of thousands of dollars.

We expect Chevy to reveal the Corvette SUV later this year and for it to arrive at dealerships in the latter half of 2024 with a starting price of around $60,000.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Will be interesting to see if it has CarPlay since it is not going to be an EV initially.....

gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE (Declined Delivery); 2023 BMW iX M60
Country flag
Or you could just buy the BMW X7 M60i right now with 523HP. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2025 Corvette SUV... not EV apparently 1681435567739

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
This seems like an April Fool's thing

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
thing looks hideous from certain angles and decent from others. I'm actually excited to see what they produce.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
That is an ugly vehicle 🤮

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
That is an ugly vehicle 🤮
I completely agree. I mean the MME is a great looking car, still looks sporty. This Vette thing is hideous and huge. Definetly not a Vet(I am joking here)!!! I used to have a 1980 C3, constant debate when I owned it about "thats not a stingray...."
Sponsored