240v 50 amp wall plug vs Buying Fords Level 2 charger?

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I own the Ford Connect Charge Station _and_ a ChargePoint Home Flex. While there's nothing wrong with the Ford Charge Station, it is pricey compared to other choices.

I have no experience with Emporia, Wallbox, EnelX JuiceBox, etc. but my ChargePoint has been great. Emporia seems to get good reviews.

As for will you notice a difference ... if you use a wall-mounted charge you have the OPTION to direct-wire (not use a NEMA 14-50 240v outlet) and if you install wiring suitable for 60 amps then ou can charge the car at the maximum AC rate of 48 amps (11.5 kW) -- that'll be MUCH faster than using the mobile charger. It's also faster than using the NEMA 14-50 outlet (which is capped at max of 40 amps).
Sponsored

Norcolboulder

First Name
william
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Principal Architect
Country flag
I had an electrician install a 240V 50amp outlet and I plug the Ford supplied charger unit into that outlet. Over 30,000 miles of charging later, I still believe that I made the right decision. An additional few miles of charging per hour was not worth it, in my opinion, to spend hundreds of additional dollars on an upgraded charging unit.
I have researched and the supplied ford "mobile" charger provides 32 amps - so a full charge is 11 hours versus 9 hours ( for a better 40 amp "charger" . I will upgrade the charger in the future ....when needed

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
In either case wouldn’t you need the 240 outlet?

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
I did a lot of looking at how I wanted to install my charger in the garage. This circuit has more power going through it than my two AC units for a constant 4 to maybe 6 hours.
You can buy the receptacle for $9.95 at home depot - Don't go cheap here. The residential grade is too iffy. Their is a commercial grade at $50 which should be better but I went for the Industrial grade. about $95. and had an electrician put it in. I have a Chargepoint home flex. I use the phone app to set my charge level. It took me some practice to get the car to charge as expected as you need to get the phone app or car in toon with the chargepoint.
I setup my chargepoint to 32 amps. This might keep the battery in a little better shape but maybe not. No difference to me if it charges at 4 or 6 hours over night.
I think some of the early EV garage fires were from residential outlets not ones ready for 240 v 32 or more amps constantly for 6+ hours.
Have fun, it is a learning opportunity.
Sponsored