240v 50 amp wall plug vs Buying Fords Level 2 charger?

Lamarmac

First Name
Demetrius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Account Manager
Country flag
Team, I just got my Mach E this weekend. As all of you know the 120 volt wall charger in our garages is entirely too slow for most of us!

I've read up on it but I can't find a comparison between Ford's level two charger that you can purchase from them for $799 versus just having an electrician install a 240 volt 50 amp wall plug!
Do any of you have any data to indicate which is better as far as faster, cost-effectiveness Etc?

Demetrius.
Sponsored

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Honestly I buy cheap shit on amazon w/ decent reviews that have been on the market for a minute. These devices are stupidly simple. No need to spend $700 or more on something you'll be replacing in a few years when your next vehicle comes with NACS.

If you don't need the 48a charging, you can have an electrician install the oven plug (a high quality one) with 4ga wire (w/ a little extra slack) and use the vehicles 32a 240v EVSE which is plenty for nightly charging as well as pre-conditioning. In the future the plug can be swapped out for a wired unit w/ 50a charging so long as THHN rated conductors are used.

Last edited:
Reactions: TTF
OP
OP

Lamarmac

First Name
Demetrius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Account Manager
Country flag
What type of devices are you referring to?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Don't buy Ford's.

Chargepoint or Emporia. Utility might have rebates. 48amps hardwired.

https://amzn.to/48xYPPm

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Definitely check with your electrical utility to see if they have a rebate on a specific brand of EVSE. Most usually have a rebate on a few brands. Then research the brands they're giving you a rebate on and choose the one that best fits your needs. 😊🐩

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Don't buy Ford's.

Chargepoint or Emporia. Utility might have rebates. 48amps hardwired.

https://amzn.to/48xYPPm
100% agree.

Ford: $800
Emporia: $400

Exact same charge rate (hardwired).

I spent $250 for an electrician to hardwire my Emporia to share with 2 EVs.

Best $650 spent.

bpbailey

First Name
BYRON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Select; '23 BMW i4; '20 Prius Prime
Country flag
I had an electrician install a 240V 50amp outlet and I plug the Ford supplied charger unit into that outlet. Over 30,000 miles of charging later, I still believe that I made the right decision. An additional few miles of charging per hour was not worth it, in my opinion, to spend hundreds of additional dollars on an upgraded charging unit.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
My '22 Select came with the Ford mobile charger. It always stays with the vehicle. I got a Grizzl-E 40 amp charger, plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle at home. If it fails, I can always plug the Ford mobile into the 240v, and keep on going.

VaporTrails

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GTPE
Country flag
Congrats on your new MME!

In addition to the advice above:
1. Have a qualified electrician install a good outlet. This will be the most current-consuming circuit in your house for the vast majority of people.
2. UL listed. Same reason as above. It also increases the odds your chosen vendor will stick around.
3. Features: do you like reports on your charging or features to vary the charging current? The Ford unit has two settings…110V and 240V.

I did a hardwired installation, but I probably would not again. The extra 10A goes unused. 32A charges the car overnight. I was actually getting the job done with the 110V unit, but I had to plug in every day to keep up.

Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retiref
Country flag
Team, I just got my Mach E this weekend. As all of you know the 120 volt wall charger in our garages is entirely too slow for most of us!

I've read up on it but I can't find a comparison between Ford's level two charger that you can purchase from them for $799 versus just having an electrician install a 240 volt 50 amp wall plug!
Do any of you have any data to indicate which is better as far as faster, cost-effectiveness Etc?

Demetrius.
I have the same setup you have and I bought a Grizzl-e from Amazon and it was less than $400 with a nice thick cable to handle the amperage. I get between 33 and 37 miles per charge hour depending on the weather. It comes with a 14-50 plug.

NJ Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag

Demetrius.
My Mach E has 20,000 + and 2 years old. I had electrician install a 250 v 40 Amp circuit and have been plugging in the Ford supplied cable. Have never had a problem based on my experience save the money for the fancy chargers.

OP
OP

Lamarmac

First Name
Demetrius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Account Manager
Country flag
My '22 Select came with the Ford mobile charger. It always stays with the vehicle. I got a Grizzl-E 40 amp charger, plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle at home. If it fails, I can always plug the Ford mobile into the Which one, amazon has 3 of them?240v, and keep on going.

I have the same setup you have and I bought a Grizzl-e from Amazon and it was less than $400 with a nice thick cable to handle the amperage. I get between 33 and 37 miles per charge hour depending on the weather. It comes with a 14-50 plug.

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yesterday my Ford charger had the solid red light. According to the manual it is done so took it to my dealership and they tested it. Yep, it’s toast. They gave me a loaner to use while waiting for a new one they ordered for me. Owned it for 25,000 kms. Warranty will cover the cost of the new one. By the way, the technician educated me on the charger. He said it’s called the charge cord. The actual charger is in the Mach E. Go figure.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

Demetrius.
is Ford charging for the 120/240 mobile unit they used to include?

if so, then I'd go with the least expensive 32amp plug-in charger you can find and put a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. Something like an Emporia is probably fine.

I like to use plug-in so that I have an outlet to backfeed and power the house with Generator power in case of Grid outages.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
100% agree.

Ford: $800
Emporia: $400

Exact same charge rate (hardwired).

I spent $250 for an electrician to hardwire my Emporia to share with 2 EVs.

Best $650 spent.
I agree 100% as well. I installed my Emporia EVSE a little over a year ago and have no regrets. For the money it is hands down one of if not the best EVSE on the market right now.
Sponsored