50 AMP Level 2 Charger @ Home (Options/Security)

SnowBunnE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y
Country flag
Hello All,

Like some of you, I am a (Pending) MME. Also, similar to some of you, I live in the city and do not have a Garage to safety stow my home charging unit. Luckily, here in Philly, the city will allow you to have an EV parking spot & Curbside charging station designated in front of your house (Upon approval from L&I and the Parking Authority of course). I’ll provide a link to that form now….just in case you are in the same boat as I am.

http://philapark.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/EVPS-Application.pdf

As this may take awhile for full approval, I still want to use a Level 2 Charging solution at home. There are a couple concerns:
Theft - If I am going to spend a few hundred dollars on a home charger, the last thing I want to do is have it stolen from in front of the home. Hard wiring the box outside would be one deterrent. A “Lock Box” would be another. The cord would go from the house to the street, covered by a cord cover when I charge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 50 AMP Level 2 Charger @ Home (Options/Security) 1636062373104

Unauthorized use - While there aren’t many EV’s in my neighborhood, I also don’t want to leave the door open for a random EV to stop and charge for free at my expense either. The lockbox would help avoid that outcome but I also wanted to know if there were any home chargers which would allow for me to moderate who can or can’t use the charger.

That said, In my mind, the best solution would be as follows:

PRE APPROVAL from city - Have a 50amp, 240V charger hardwired outside of the house, encased in a lockable weatherproof box large enough to contain the charger and cable. ensure that I can plug in a charger. I figure, if someone goes through the trouble to try and remove a live hardwired box, they would be in for quite the shock.

POST APPROVAL - I would have the electrician modify the run from the face of the home (under the cement) to a curbside charger. Still contained in the security box.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 50 AMP Level 2 Charger @ Home (Options/Security) 1636062373134

The “Lock box” would look something like this:

Ford Mustang Mach-E 50 AMP Level 2 Charger @ Home (Options/Security) 1636062373176

THAT SAID:

Have any of you encountered this issue?
Can you offer any solutions?
What home Charger do you use and why?

Thanks in advance.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I think you need a way to protect the charging cable. With copper prices what they are now, it's likely to get cut off and stolen. That Tesla box or something like this will help. Put active cameras on this too. Good luck.