Level 2 charger for Home

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If there's no wifi access at the parking spot (i.e. in a parking garage), is there a reason to get a smart charger? Are there any other benefits? Or would a dumb charger be better?
A smart charger isn't smart if it cannot access the internet. If you have no internet access and are considering a smart charger, I suggest you download the manual and read it before buying, because you need to set it up and that may require internet access.
Sponsored

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I understand the previous EV home charger credits ended Dec 2021, but the new law brings it back... question is does the EV Home charger tax credit is also based on income like the new EV Federal Tax Credit?

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
A smart charger isn't smart if it cannot access the internet. If you have no internet access and are considering a smart charger, I suggest you download the manual and read it before buying, because you need to set it up and that may require internet access.
You can check with your local electric company, some may give you credits if they can control you EV Home charger to shut it off during peak times and they may require a smart charger or a specific smart charger

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I understand the previous EV home charger credits ended Dec 2021, but the new law brings it back... question is does the EV Home charger tax credit is also based on income like the new EV Federal Tax Credit?
I would love to learn more about this too. Everyone has been talking about the vehicle tax credits, so there's plenty of information out there about this. But it seems hard to find much information about the charger related credits and rules about this. I bought an OpenEVSE that will be delivered this week, and I'd love to know if that qualifies.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
You can check with your local electric company, some may give you credits if they can control you EV Home charger to shut it off during peak times and they may require a smart charger or a specific smart charger
While this is technically correct it's unrelated to not having wireless access. 🤔🐩

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Go read the link I pasted earlier in this thread. It talks about who can get the EVSE install credit that was brought back. It is now based on qualifying urban areas, or neighborhoods. The article didn't say the exact qualification but you can probably guess based on your neighborhood real estate.

EDIT: Since I had 2 links in this thread, I was referring to this one: https://www.foley.com/en/insights/publications/2022/08/ev-charging-station-tax-credits-are-back

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Go read the link I pasted earlier in this thread. It talks about who can get the EVSE install credit that was brought back. It is now based on qualifying urban areas, or neighborhoods. The article didn't say the exact qualification but you can probably guess based on your neighborhood real estate.

EDIT: Since I had 2 links in this thread, I was referring to this one: https://www.foley.com/en/insights/publications/2022/08/ev-charging-station-tax-credits-are-back
Are you sure this isn't specific to the "business" portion of the credit? I'm having trouble finding any reference in the actual tax code specific to qualifying urban areas in the residential portion.

Last edited:

shelnian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Old Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EX, RW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I installed a 15-40 NEMA in February 2022 but am using the Ford charger. Is the NEMA alone eligible or do I have to also get an EV charger? If I do, can I get the $1,000 credit for the NEMA installation and the $300.00 for the charger?

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I installed a 15-40 NEMA in February 2022 but am using the Ford charger. Is the NEMA alone eligible or do I have to also get an EV charger? If I do, can I get the $1,000 credit for the NEMA installation and the $300.00 for the charger?
It is not a $1000 credit.

It is 30% of install and EVSE cost up to $1000.

You would need to spend $3333 to get the full $1000 tax credit.
Sponsored