curiousurick

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Infinite Blue
Country flag
Hey everyone! I definitely don’t want to make this sound like a complaint on the dealership service team in my area. Wanted to make that clear up front.

I brought my car to the dealership to get it looked at for a couple issues on Thursday morning. When I slow to a stop and when I accelerate from stop, it creaks. I also have a lot of issues with the screen with car play and other settings. I figured I should bring it in to get it updates for all modules and see if that helped.

They told me there are a lot of updates, so it’ll take longer than the quote couple hours, so they gave me a rental and I went home. Thursday night comes and they call to say the update systems are having issues and it’ll be done Friday. Friday evening comes and they say it’s still not done. Saturday evening, they call and tell me the updates are done but the creaking isn’t fixed. That should be at least diagnosed when they come back on Tuesday.

One might think they just prioritized other cars and that’s why it took so long, but I saw security alerts throughout all 3 days.

Ford is trying to move into the future with OTA updates, but a whole year is a long time in tech and it’s still not close to acceptable in their rollout process. And not only that, but their dealership systems don’t do the job either. I really hope Ford corporate is taking the time for a retrospective on what is causing such big problems in their software process. I know they are a legacy company but they have to modernize quickly.
Sponsored

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
I’m not shocked, I think a lot of the time they start the updates and walk away for a few hours.

I had the creak you are referring to, just needed to get some good wear on the brakes. You should bed them in and see if it goes away.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
We've been seeing this a lot, dealers just suck at doing software updates. They're so bad there's a growing group of Forum users that are buying the hardware to update their software themselves at home with FDRS. It is actually very easy to do if you are even moderately tech savvy, most forum members figure it out with no issues, so it's kinda puzzling why it's so hard for the dealers to do right.

The powertrain updates only take 15 minutes. Extra fob programming takes 5 mins. The APIM (SYNC), RFA, and IPMA updates take a little longer, but all updates could easily be performed in a 4 hour timeframe with proper supervision. If they haven't updated their software, have a poor WiFi connection, or don't use a flash 80A power supply then they could have issues.

Last edited:

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Dumb dealers. That's all it comes down to.

My god. It is EASY to update software with FDRS. I bet an 8 year old could figure it out...

The longest update is the IPMA but literally you start it and then walk away for 3 hours and it's done!

OP
OP

curiousurick

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Infinite Blue
Country flag
I’m not shocked, I think a lot of the time they start the updates and walk away for a few hours.

I had the creak you are referring to, just needed to get some good wear on the brakes. You should bed them in and see if it goes away.
I’ve been driving it for 2.5k miles and it seems worse than day one. How long until your issue was fixed?

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
I’ve been driving it for 2.5k miles and it seems worse than day one. How long until your issue was fixed?
I waited til I had a few hundred miles on it, then took it on the interstate at a lower traffic time and did several harder than normal brakings. Nothing extreme, just enough to make sure I got the rotors good and hot and the brakes warm enough to wear down the machining oil and the top thousandth of material.

OP
OP

curiousurick

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Infinite Blue
Country flag
I waited til I had a few hundred miles on it, then took it on the interstate at a lower traffic time and did several harder than normal brakings. Nothing extreme, just enough to make sure I got the rotors good and hot and the brakes warm enough to wear down the machining oil and the top thousandth of material.
Good idea. I’ll give it a try if the dealership can’t fix it. I rarely use the actual brake pedal which might explain why it’s having the issues of a new rotor and pad
Sponsored