31,000 and climbing. What I told my friends.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Electric Wonderland.

In the last 14 months I’ve put 31,000+ miles on the Mustang Mach E. It uses about 21-22 kilowatt hours per day on my 90 mile round trip commute. Or about 30 electric hp in two hours. About the same HP as a late 50’s VW Bug wound out tight at the crank. Or a 30 HP electric pump humming along irrigating 5-6 acres of cranberries for two hours straight. Very efficient HP when compared to internal combustion engines.

Since I charge at home at night I pay $.0634 per KWh (I expect that to rise). And my cost per day to commute about 90 miles is about $1.40 (though slightly less in summer and slightly more in winter). The state license electric fee is an annual $300 which works out to another 1.50 a day so my daily travel cost not including tires, insurance, etc. is about $3.00. That compares favorably with gas (at 24 mpg) at say $18 plus a day. So I switched from Dino fuel to Salmon fuel as our power comes from the Bonneville Power Administration through the P.U.D. to our homes and garages. The overall math is pretty favorable in that our net savings is well north of $4K per year.

While S.O. and I discussed getting an electric car, it was happenstance as our Edge blew its transmission and the Mach E had sat on the lot for two weeks.

Most my friends know I regularly drive a BEV (battery electric vehicle). Very few say snarky things (“What about the battery?”, “It’s not a Mustang!”), most are just curious. Batteries hate heat and Direct Current Fast Charging (DCFC) can repeatedly heat a battery, thus reducing battery life. But in the garage it’s pretty slow and taking 4-5 hours to put that ~20 KWh back in. Jay Leno commented that even if it lost 20% capacity in 20 years, it is still a value and so I figured. Instead of say 235 max range (Ford says 220 but my driving style says 235) I end up at just under 200 miles of range, that’s still more than adequate for the beach/Astoria/occasional trips to Vancouver.

Back in the day I could squeeze 20 mpg out my 7.3 diesel super duty F250 and today that’d be 30 cents per mile. $27 per day now.

The Mach E is a really flexible AWD SUV with about 265 hp and 425 ft lbs of torque. Seats 2 up front, 3 in back plus luggage. Ford’s branding (Mustang) is exactly what Porsche did with the Porsche Taycan except for twice the price. Sure it’s faster, sleeker, etc. but it is not a value proposition. And the dealer is 17 miles away.. not 100 miles.

The Mach E is a quiet & quick (if need be) commuter too. I recall: I was taken home from Ocean Beach at 1 day old, thus born into the sound of a V-8 flathead Ford. It and the 312 in the Ranch Wagon and the 330 in the Olds 88. All are memories of a different era. I fondly remember rebuilding the 390 in our dump truck and cranking it up for the first time. The 4 banger in the ‘41 9N is a familiar farm sound.

Now I’ve battery electric drills, drivers, chainsaw, weed whacker, lawnmower, toothbrush (they’ve been around), reciprocating saw, and etc….Electric Wonderland.

35624055-6C21-468C-8B01-C22B395398C8.jpeg
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Your overnight rates are insanely cheap. Kudos to you sir. I can't imagine there are too many BEVs west of Chehalis so you're breaking some new ground out there.

OP
OP
JSeis

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Silverelan,

Haha-good thinking there! I think there’s two MMEs and three-four Teslas and at least one Leaf in-county. Of course I see more elk & deer than BEVs. Saw a Rivian in the summer months. A lot of Teslas around south county during the summer months & similar to what you see in Astoria-Cannon beach.
Sponsored