Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm a sucker for road trip and miles per kilowatt hour stories lol
Well, let me tell you a story about me and three of my buddies going on a loooong trip to take this magic ring one of us found to a volcano....
Sponsored

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Well, let me tell you a story about me and three of my buddies going on a loooong trip to take this magic ring one of us found to a volcano....
If you try to tell me that the main difference between my Mach-e and my old GT is “more door”, I’m outta here! ?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you try to tell me that the main difference between my Mach-e and my old GT is “more door”, I’m outta here! ?
"try the veal, and don't forget to tip your wait staff!"

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oh yeah....almost forgot.
I arrived in Tucson an hour early and sat in the parking lot for about 40 minutes on a conference call. A/C running the whole time. That consumed about 3% of the battery which would have equated to about 7.5 miles of additional range. That works out to about 262 miles of range on a full charge for those conditions. Margin of error would mean 260 miles is a reasonable figure.

On a side note, after about 30 minutes or so a message comes up on the driver's screen saying the car will shut down and it gives a 30 second countdown to press OK and keep the car turned on.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I have one about a three hour tour that took a wee bit longer.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
no, but close
Ford Mustang Mach-E A couple data points on miles/kwh 1618534032965

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oh yeah....almost forgot.
I arrived in Tucson an hour early and sat in the parking lot for about 40 minutes on a conference call. A/C running the whole time. That consumed about 3% of the battery which would have equated to about 7.5 miles of additional range. That works out to about 262 miles of range on a full charge for those conditions. Margin of error would mean 260 miles is a reasonable figure.

On a side note, after about 30 minutes or so a message comes up on the driver's screen saying the car will shut down and it gives a 30 second countdown to press OK and keep the car turned on.
there's a setting somewhere around auto turn off - curious how you have that set. in other words I'm wondering if the prompt happens only if you have auto-off set to on.

also, that would have been a good time to sit at a charger and charge ?⚡?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Been doing a Denver-Vegas road trip the last 2 days. Mileage is all over the map. Like the first 2 legs today, for instance...

From Richfield UT to Cedar City UT, I got 2.1 mi/kWh. Temps were ~35F, roads wet, car started cold, some cabin heat, 75-80 MPH, +400' elevation diff.

From Cedar City to Mesquite NV, I got 3.7 mi/kWh. Temps warmed up fast to ~60F, dry roads, car already warm, turned off E-Heat, same 75-80 MPH, -4000' elevation diff.

Most of that difference could be explained by elevation. But all the other stuff affects it quite a bit too.

Saw similar differences the day before. Only got 2.0 on one leg, at 80 MPH but strong headwinds. But got 3+ on some other legs. Overall, 2.6 mi/kWh for 783 miles, -2800' elevation drop, temps from 30-80F.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
I had a couple hundred mile road trip this morning, and since I knew the route was straight, essentially flat, and there was no wind, I thought it would be a perfect day to try this very thing. Outside temps were right at 50°, and I didn't run the HVAC the entire time (because I'd started driving from my garage and I'm used to wearing a jacket and having a cool cabing as this is my 4th electric vehicle). Setting the cruise at each speed level for 50 miles (it was 100 miles there, 100 miles back, with very little traffic as it was VERY early). Trim is the Mach-E4x. Also I did not do them in ascending order like this, it was 60/70/65/75.

60mph = 3 mi/kWhr
65mph = 2.7 mi/kWhr
70mph = 2.5 mi/kWhr
75mph = 2.3 mi/kWhr

This is essentially expected dropoff due to logarithmic wind resistance. BUT I will say I'm not seeing anything like other people who seem to be getting 3.5 mi/kWhr going 75 with their HVAC blasting.

Basically it also means that if I take a highway trip (in similar conditions) my range is going to fall between 200-265 miles. I'm in the midwest where we love our 75mph speed limits (and chargers are few and far between outside of the metro), so I'll effectively plan for 200. Winter trips are going to be even dicier.

I had originally ordered the standard battery, but ended up buying a customer-declined model off a lot which had the larger battery. I'm glad I did because in the winters with heat going and cool temps limiting the battery, the standard battery would have REALLY been limited on highway usage!

Also, I just want to say this is not a complaint, I'm just glad to be educating myself on this particular vehicle. In the city I get pretty great figures between 3.5 and 4.5 mi/kWhr. If I could just stay in town, I'd probably get over 300 miles!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
there's a setting somewhere around auto turn off - curious how you have that set. in other words I'm wondering if the prompt happens only if you have auto-off set to on.

also, that would have been a good time to sit at a charger and charge ?⚡?
I will check and see if I can find that setting in the SYNC menu....

Funny you mention charging......the purpose of my trip was to determine where we are going to install EV chargers. Our manufacturing facility is in Tucson and we are putting in 4 charging spaces for the employees. As far as we know, none of the employees have an EV but we think if we install some chargers then maybe it will help some feel comfortable with going electric.
Sponsored