Anyone using 16Amp 240V (3.8kW) home charging?

OP
OP

music_cities

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2022 GT
Country flag
UPDATE #2: I'm probably going to get a service upgrade to 200Amps at my primary residence, with a new main panel in the garage, and the existing panel in the house now as a sub panel. I'm mostly doing this because the overhead wires from the utility go *right overtop of the garage* so it's not much more expensive than running a lower amp 240V cable back to the garage to support slower charging. I don't think I have any transportation need to charge a car rapidly, but, I'm also going to get solar, and if I have enough wire capacity to feed most of my solar power into my car instead of back into the grid I get to save some of the variable costs of the distribution system. Here in Alberta I pay 10cents/kWh for the electricity, plus a fixed cost for distribution, plus a variable cost for distribution which can be quite high, rivalling the per kWh cost of the power itself. When you send power back into the grid, you get credited for the electricity, but there's no refund on the distribution. My thought is when the solar is installed I'll set the car to charge to, say, 35% overnight (just in case I decide at the last minute in the morning to take a 100km drive), and then set it to charge more during the day while the sun is shining. I'll probably buy the Emporia Charger and it's associated Wifi energy monitoring system, as it seems you can link that EV charger to its energy system and tell it to use the amount of solar you are producing. The solar system design I have is 5.67kW, so I don't need a circuit bigger than 30Amps to use 100% of the solar generation, but, if the new main panel is in the garage I might was well go for a 40Amp or 50Amp breaker for the EV charger. If nothing else, it will have some value if we ever sell the house.

But, in my ski-cabin, I'm putting in a relay so I can share an existing 20Amp garage heater wire. There are many DCFC stations near my ski-cabin, in Canmore, AB, Canada, but I doubt I'll use them much — after a long day of skiing, my body needs to rest for 12 hours while the car charges slowly.
Sponsored