Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
As I wait patiently for my Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium to be built during the week of January 24th, I heard that Aptera, out of San Diego was back in the news. Did anyone happen to see their announcement last week, which announced that they are releasing their vehicle in 2021, which contains the following elements....

Aptera key breakthroughs and features include:
  • Record-breaking range: Aptera’s low drag gives it the longest range of any production vehicle ever created – achieving up to 1,000 miles per charge and unburdening drivers from frustrating range anxiety.
  • Solar: Integrated solar can be configured to provide up to 45 miles of range per day with over 3 square meters and 180 efficient solar cells designed into the body structure. This makes Aptera the first vehicle capable of meeting most daily driving needs using solar power alone.
  • Efficient powertrains: Liquid-cooled electric motors propel Aptera from 0-60 in as fast as 3.5 seconds, with a top speed of 110 mph. All-wheel drive and vectorized torque control give Aptera comfort, stability control, and the ability to handle inclement weather.
  • Tunable efficiency: Adjustable settings built into Aptera’s user interface keep drivers updated with ways they can conserve energy and extend range in real time.
  • Scalable manufacturing: Aptera has solved key challenges allowing for rapid, high-volume, and cost-efficient vehicle production – having just four main pieces.
Here's a video of their new vehicle: Aptera Overview Video

Certainly interesting innovations, especially for those interested in long-range performance capabilities.
Sponsored

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
As nice as that looks as a grocery getter, LOL, I think I will reserve judgement until I see the

Crash Test Ratings. I can't wait.

But as a replacement for golf cart travel in gated communities, they hit a home run.:)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Interesting that the solar cells don’t charge the car while it’s being driven. I guess this is a practical car for the desert southwest and Florida (places where it doesn’t snow and you can park it outside).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag