ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
This is just one data point. As we collect more, the curve will become more apparent. Ford has set an unknown max charge rate for every soc percentage, at every battery temperature, along with other parameters. The power grid and charger will also limit the kW going into the battery.
The MME may have ramped up higher. It may be higher than it should be if we started at 10% do to heat. As we collect more pictures of MMEs charging, we will know more.
Go find a MME charging, take a pix and post it.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
This is just one data point. As we collect more, the curve will become more apparent. Ford has set an unknown max charge rate for every soc percentage, at every battery temperature, along with other parameters. The power grid and charger will also limit the kW going into the battery.
The MME may have ramped up higher. It may be higher than it should be if we started at 10% do to heat. As we collect more pictures of MMEs charging, we will know more.
Some of us will only have to wait a bit more than a month and can just take pics of their own charging--or a video. We're getting awfully close now. (Not saying I will as I think I'd be very lucky to see mine this year.)

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If only I could see one :)

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Thanks! I'm so happy that I figured out "auto-translate."

The video showed 121kW at 42%. HELL YES! pulling 120 kW all the way to 42% is awesome and better than peaking at 150kW for a few minutes. This is just one data point. Too bad there were not more.
One of the forum members posted this in the past:--https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-charger-for-mach-e.365/page-13

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E (Extended Range) Seen Reaching 120kw Charging Speed mach e charging curve yes

Which is close to the charging curve previously posted.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't think you can do this math based on this picture as its only been charging for 49 seconds (see picture).

The way I read that picture: they plugged the car in when it already had 42% battery. So this image is showing a starting rate of 121kW. Granted yes its 121kW at 42% but you don't know from this picture that if you started at 10% the car would still be at 121kW at 42%--it may have started to taper before this point.
Interesting. So does that mean charging curves are dynamic rather than static, based on something like battery temperature? Such that the BMS will deliver more power when the battery is cooler (like when you first plug it in) and then reduce the power as the battery heats up?

I just assumed it was a fixed curve based on SOC%, but I don't really know.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
That was a very rough sketch.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Interesting. So does that mean charging curves are dynamic rather than static, based on something like battery temperature? Such that the BMS will deliver more power when the battery is cooler (like when you first plug it in) and then reduce the power as the battery heats up?

Yeah I would expect its a bit more dynamic then a simple curve based on state of charge.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Hopefully rapid-gate and cold-gate aren’t words we will be using with the MME.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like the red calipers, must be standard on mache. The car pictured was not a FE

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If that's true, then the effect above (being only in the first minute of charging) suggests that 121 kW wouldn't be lower if it were 10 minutes into charging instead. (And in fact might even be higher than 121 after 10 minutes in).

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Yes exactly and many You Tube videos like the ones by Bjorn Nyland confirms that, and BTW Teslas have a preconditionning system to cool down the battery when approching a Supercharger station has long has it was set in the nav system I believe.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes exactly and many You Tube videos like the ones by Bjorn Nyland confirms that, and BTW Teslas have a preconditionning system to cool down the battery when approching a Supercharger station has long has it was set in the nav system I believe.
yup; I hope ford has thought to copy this strategy
Sponsored