Standard Range or Extended Range

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I’m in Iowa, so colder weather. My niece just bought a SR MME. She wasn’t aware of cold weather affecting range. She only has an average commute of 30 miles per day and a lake house 40 miles one way, but is
ready looking for an ER to buy.
Why? It doesn't sound like her commute or lake house trips should be an issue for the SR battery, even in winter.
Sponsored

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
What I found planning my road trip from KC to Northeast PA (~1,100 miles) is that the ER may have knocked one charge stop off and lessened the amount of time at a few other stops. This may not be as big of an issue as the infrastructure gets better, but I didn't think an extra $6,000 for this trip 1-2x a year made sense to save 60-90 minutes on a 20 hour journey.

With that said, I think ER / SR debate is more relevant on frequent trips where that added range makes the difference between a charging stop or no charging stop at all. With that said, I am VERY happy with SR MME.
I think it is very easy to justify whichever battery size you choose. I went ER as my DH has severe range anxiety and this will save him some worry. I often go to a city which is 150 miles round trip. With ER I can spontaneously add a couple extra stops without recalculating my charge status.

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium GB
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
"MORE POWER!" Not really, but some of us went for the big V8s in our youth.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I went SR because we have a gas car for longer trips that we use maybe once or twice a year tops.

That and I am pretty much a stop to get gas, continue driving non-stop for 6+ hours straight kind of guy so waiting to charge for 30-40 minutes isn't something I'd see myself wanting to do, even with the ER option which won't change much over the SR.

I think this will change for us when more EVs are hitting closer to ~400 miles range and charging is more on 800 volt architecture where you can go from 10%-80% in like ~20 minutes.

For long trips with multiple charge stops, the charging speed starts to matter a LOT more and you can test this out yourself using a better route planner for say, the Ionic 5. On one of my trips, I see it going from like 15% -> 85% in like 18 minutes. Crazy. You do need the charging infrastructure, but in say, 5 years, it could only get better.

Our next EV in a few years will definitely look to replace the gas car and fit more as a road warrior for us.

maktas1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Focus Electric
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Trying to decide on standard range vs extended range… I live in Southern California (inland empire) the commute will be 100 miles round trip max and don’t see myself driving more that 180 miles in a day. We also have a minivan for the occasional road trip. So I’m going back and forth between the premium standard range, premium extended range and the California route 1. Any thoughts ore appreciated…
Since LPF will become an option later this year, I would go standard LFP especially if you plan to keep longer, in warmer climate, its capacity should be retained better than regular NCM
Sponsored