Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
they are all season. They hold the road so good. Man, i can't wait to tell you to get to drive it. Once you drive an EV like this I don't think I can go back to an ICE.

Even the Ev vans that have a shorter wheel base and tall and skinny, look like they will fall over in wind. They rive and hug the road better with the weight where it is in a EV.
Have you had a chance to drive a RWD version? I'm certain the AWD's are like they're on rails, but wondering about how the RWD will handle sharp curves at speed - there's a really curvy back road near me where I am looking forward to driving slightly over the speed limit ?
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Have you had a chance to drive a RWD version? I'm certain the AWD's are like they're on rails, but wondering about how the RWD will handle sharp curves at speed - there's a really curvy back road near me where I am looking forward to driving slightly over the speed limit ?
no RWD sorry not yet.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I live in a hilly area, definitely looking forward to sailing around some curves with my MME. Still curious if there will be any meaningful difference in handling between SR and ER variants. Seems like there may be *some* difference, not sure how meaningful it will be.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I live in a hilly area, definitely looking forward to sailing around some curves with my MME. Still curious if there will be any meaningful difference in handling between SR and ER variants. Seems like there may be *some* difference, not sure how meaningful it will be.
I can't imagine it will be noticeable to most drivers. Perhaps onboard lateral G sensors or suspension data may notice a bit more body roll here or a bit more grip there, but the cars are so fundamentally similar that most people won't notice. The SR is a little lighter and the ER is a little more powerful but at the end of the day, they're both fast, and they both store their batteries low in the chassis and between the axles. I'd also expect Ford to calibrate the suspension to minimize any difference the driver might perceive between the 2 battery options. If there's any meaningful handling difference it'll be RWD vs AWD, and I'm sure they'll want the GT to have its own signature feel as well.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I can't imagine it will be noticeable to most drivers. Perhaps onboard lateral G sensors or suspension data may notice a bit more body roll here or a bit more grip there, but the cars are so fundamentally similar that most people won't notice. The SR is a little lighter and the ER is a little more powerful but at the end of the day, they're both fast, and they both store their batteries low in the chassis and between the axles. I'd also expect Ford to calibrate the suspension to minimize any difference the driver might perceive between the 2 battery options. If there's any meaningful handling difference it'll be RWD vs AWD, and I'm sure they'll want the GT to have its own signature feel as well.
It's like the folks all worried about the added weight of the glass roof on the GTs. I doubt it will be noticeable considering the low weight of the battery -- especially with Magneride.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
It's like the folks all worried about the added weight of the glass roof on the GTs. I doubt it will be noticeable considering the low weight of the battery -- especially with Magneride.
If you are planning on tracking the car weight up high is a big deal, otherwise not so much.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If you are planning on tracking the car weight up high is a big deal, otherwise not so much.
You may be right. In an ICE car I would agree completely. I'm not sure it will have a noticeable impact on handling in the Mach E, even on a track. That battery is really heavy.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
The heavy battery under the center floor seems to help the handling on my van :)... oh, so looking forward to driving this instead of the van :cool:

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
While I agree that nobody drives 400mile nonstop, the issue is different for electric cars.
The Mach-e AWD has a combined range of 270 miles but that translates to a highway range of 252 miles. But level 3 chargers only recharge 80% at high speed and you never drive till the battery is exhausted. 60% of the range between charges is a more practical number. That is only 151 miles or a little over 2 hours at highway speed.
Sort of.

Since you start out with a full charge virtually every time, the first leg is maybe 230 of the 270 mile range, depending upon speed. So that's maybe 3.5 hours. Then you charge, at about 100 kw average, for 30 minutes. And then you drive another two hours.

So you've charged, at the end of the 5.5 hours of driving, for thirty minutes. That may or may not work for you, but since you always start out with a full charge, you have to take that into account. Right?

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Some do, but that's not entirely the issue. "Stop" and "charge" aren't always the same thing. Many places that people might choose to stop don't have chargers. If you're driving to somewhere like Mt Rushmore from very far away, you're kind of out of luck for CCS charging unless you have a LOT of range. Or many mountain parks, or rural areas, state highways, etc. Even some interstates still.
It is true that in the Dakotas, especially, the charging network is not good. I am not sure why, but I assume low population? Still, it needs fixed, and quickly. I hope EA is working on this.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is true that in the Dakotas, especially, the charging network is not good. I am not sure why, but I assume low population? Still, it needs fixed, and quickly. I hope EA is working on this.
Population, and long distances. For instance, it's >1000 miles between Butte and Minneapolis, across MN, MT, and the Dakotas (I-90 or I-94). Same way with I-80 across WY. Long distance means a lot of chargers to cover it (at high cost). Low population in the region means few customers using it, generating revenue to recover that big expense.

I assume EA will eventually get to it before their money runs out from the VW settlement, but they're spending a lot of it flooding some cities with chargers too, unfortunately.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Some do, but that's not entirely the issue. "Stop" and "charge" aren't always the same thing. Many places that people might choose to stop don't have chargers. If you're driving to somewhere like Mt Rushmore from very far away, you're kind of out of luck for CCS charging unless you have a LOT of range. Or many mountain parks, or rural areas, state highways, etc. Even some interstates still.
If you have a Tesla to CCS converter, there is a Tesla destination charger 0.4 miles from the Mt. Rushmore Monument. And, I know this won't work for CCS, but there is a Supercharger 19.7 miles south of Mt. Rushmore. But, yeah, if you are going to travel to remote areas like this it's a great benefit to have 350-400 or more miles of range. It can be done with a lot less but more is always nice for convenience sake.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
I'm not convinced the glass roof weighs enough more to matter much, even on a track. And, even if it does, it's probably worth it for the additional safety, particularly in a side-impact scenario. I know it seems like glass would be weaker than steel but that's not really applicable in this scenario. The glass distributes point impacts, like if the car slides sideways into a telephone pole or tree, through the entire sheet in a way steel cannot match. This limits deformation of the passenger compartment and offers superior protection to the occupants.

Al-E

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB Premium ER/RWD Mustang Mach E '21
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Ok what am I doing wrong? I have a premium RWD extended range Mach E and after 2 weeks my max miles on 100% is an abysmal 246. Do things like lane keeping and cruise control eat into range? Or do I really have to never use AC or the seat warmer? I’m not a crazy driver so I’m pretty surprised as I thought I’d get over 300 for sure. I do whisper on the highway and engage on the streets. Should I be turning off the display? Daytime running lights? Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored