Aptera

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I haven't seen anything on this one, Aptera is open for reservations. Boasts that a full day of sun could net 45 miles.

Not sure I'd feel comfortable going over 35 in something like this.
Sponsored

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
The interior seems like they ripped apart a model 3 and repackaged it with hacked software to change the graphic of the vehicle.

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The interior seems like they ripped apart a model 3 and repackaged it with hacked software to change the graphic of the vehicle.
Quite possible. I think most of the innovation in this was to make it as aerodynamic and small as possible to get the 100W per mile (I think that's the quoted efficiency)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I haven't seen anything on this one, Aptera is open for reservations. Boasts that a full day of sun could net 45 miles.

Not sure I'd feel comfortable going over 35 in something like this.
I've liked he Aptera concept since their first attempt and really like this all electric iteration. It's a cool vehicle design. However, for a niche market like this will have, they'll have to keep the costs down. It will be a handy in-town runabout.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I've liked he Aptera concept since their first attempt and really like this all electric iteration. It's a cool vehicle design. However, for a niche market like this will have, they'll have to keep the costs down. It will be a handy in-town runabout.
Agreed. It would be an entertaining commuter vehicle for sure.

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That does seem like the ideal use for one, so I'm a bit perplexed by the 1000 mile range option (even the 400 mile option seems like a stretch for me). Cannot think that 5 hours in that would be fun!

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I was a reservation holder for the very first Aptera (in 2007, I think!), put down my $500 and everything. It didn't pan out, but at least they refunded us.

The new version isn't much different though I'm sure the batteries are far superior.

As for solar charging, the numbers they are giving are extremely optimistic. There aren't many situations where you could get 6.4 kWhs in one day from the surface area of a small vehicle with flat solar cells. You'd have to be in complete sun the entire day, on a clear day in Arizona.

As for 1000 mile range options, that is just pure speculation, they can't fit a 100 kWh battery in that. And even if you could - why would you? You could give a Honda Civic a 1000 mile range today with a larger gas tank - but why? Even as batteries improve, there will be a limit where the market says "any longer range isn't helpful - we'd rather it just get cheaper or lighter".

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I was a reservation holder for the very first Aptera (in 2007, I think!), put down my $500 and everything. It didn't pan out, but at least they refunded us.

The new version isn't much different though I'm sure the batteries are far superior.

As for solar charging, the numbers they are giving are extremely optimistic. There aren't many situations where you could get 6.4 kWhs in one day from the surface area of a small vehicle with flat solar cells. You'd have to be in complete sun the entire day, on a clear day in Arizona.

As for 1000 mile range options, that is just pure speculation, they can't fit a 100 kWh battery in that. And even if you could - why would you? You could give a Honda Civic a 1000 mile range today with a larger gas tank - but why? Even as batteries improve, there will be a limit where the market says "any longer range isn't helpful - we'd rather it just get cheaper or lighter".
I can see a market for 1000 mile range vehicle. That said, would need more passengers and/or cargo space or it would be a really niche market... The long range could also be good as a rental for those wanting a one way trip half way across the country.

One additional reason for 1000 mile range would be a larger buffer for those cloudy days and you never want to plug in...

With the tax credit (assuming it is applicable), the price might be decent. Anyways, I would want a test drive before ordering one...
Sponsored