Backup start passcode - anyone actually set this up?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I am sure that Ford is working diligently on PAAK, and that it will get better.

However, the way I would prefer they handled this was to give us 2 keys now and make PAAK so reliable and compelling across the lineup that people stopped using the fobs. That would be the time to drop down to a single fob. We are absolutely not there yet, and I kind of resent having functionality limited by issues beyond my control. Backup start code should not rely on PAAK - in fact, that's kind of the point of having the backup code.

Some people will avoid any new technology, and others are happy to deal with teething pains. I am fine with PAAK and one fob as long as PAAK is just as reliable as the fob. Before anyone says that PAAK is more capable and harder to implement.....that shouldn't be my problem, any more than fob reliability is my problem. It's Ford's (which again, I am sure they are working feverishly to fix). Here's hoping that it improves quickly.
Oh I'm all in favor of 2 keyfobs. If they're not forthcoming ver soon, I'll cancel. :p

Just kidding of course, but I will be buying a second keyfob for the car to be ready when it's done with its roundabout journey to my garage. I don't consider the PAAK sufficiently consistently reliable enough to depend upon it. I'll be carrying the FOB with me in a Faraday bag until the PAAK issues are resolved.

And it would seem you need to PAAK to get to set up the launch codes anyway.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
page 63 of one of the manuals says that yes, you're screwed (sorry) - it's stated that the Backup Start Code setup is triggered after the PaaK setup process:
"After Phone as a Key is setup, you can setup the Backup Start Passcode by following the prompts on your touchscreen."​
1614364350124.png
Bummer.
I guess I will have to try and set up Paak and hope it works long enough for me to set the start code. Then if successful....I can remove PaaK from my phone?

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I set both up. Haven't tried the door, but used the code to start the car when it didn't recognize my PaaK.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Bummer.
I guess I will have to try and set up Paak and hope it works long enough for me to set the start code. Then if successful....I can remove PaaK from my phone?
I assume? it looks like from that same part of that manual that you won't be able to remove it from the car without resetting the full set (meaning all the PaaK go away and the backup code goes away) but without having a car to play with, I can't be sure, and I am juggling to many things at the moment to look it up.

OP
OP

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Well, in my case the backup code went away even though the PaaK still works... so I'm planning to connect another PaaK and complete a second setup process with that other person's phone, to be able to create a backup code.
Sponsored