Bluecruise back and forth oscillation

Carl22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE (waiting)
Country flag
Picked up the car the day before the recall and absolutely loving it.

So, I commute 60 miles south of Tampa (and back) on I-75 everyday and having been very excited to test out Bluecruise but I am getting what I think is somewhat strange results. I am very curious if anybody else can speak to how their car compares to the below, maybe even on the same route(I have seen you white MachE, I know you are out there! :) )

Most of the time it ranges from a slow to what I would call a medium oscillation between the lane markers. Other times it feels like it is hugging the right lane (which I see other reports on the forum about).

I have been trying to see if there is a correlation of the oscillation with
* Speed, Seemingly 80 is worse than 70
* Contrast of line markers and the road
* Middle lane dashed lines on both sides vs a solid lines on one side

There has been several times I have gone "Alight, I have repeatable actions of above" only to have it not consistent 20min later.

Additionally, the feature where I am supposed to be able to "nudge" it to stay in a new spot with lane centering 150% doesn't work. It immediately drifts back to center/right and starts oscillating again.

I also asked my wife, without telling her any of the above, to try it out. She reported back "Super cool, though the sway made me a bit nervous" so I have confirmation I am not nuts (At least about this!)
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think BC is very underwelming. It doesn't work on my car but I have driven 2 BC enabled vehicles and rode in a 3rd with BC and am not impressed. I miss the feature where the car would hold the preferred position in the lane. That appears to be a casualty of BC even though the owner's manual says it should work. :(

OP
OP

Carl22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE (waiting)
Country flag
Get this

Today I hit a patch of much lighter than normal traffic and it seemed to drive much better, but once I got back in a pack of cars it was doing it's usual thing. This led me to think that perhaps it is not seeing far enough head that is causing the back and forth. I have the follow distance set as close as it goes as other cars try and squeeze in constantly otherwise.

Sure enough, I set the distance one notch back and it is driving WAY better. Once it was driving better as a test I changed the distance to close and bam, started oscillating again.

I am super curious if anybody else can replicate the above in their car.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Get this

Today I hit a patch of much lighter than normal traffic and it seemed to drive much better, but once I got back in a pack of cars it was doing it's usual thing. This led me to think that perhaps it is not seeing far enough head that is causing the back and forth. I have the follow distance set as close as it goes as other cars try and squeeze in constantly otherwise.

I just got BC working and don't have as much experience as you but hadn't noticed the ping-pong effect you described in the initial post. But this recent post of yours seems to explain it. While I haven't had BC until recently I do have 14 months of experience using intelligent cruise control on the freeways here in SoCal. I have tried all of the "follow distance" settings from 1 to 4 and find that on the freeway, especially when the freeway is crowded during stop and go that a follow distance setting of 1 or 2 creates very jarring stops. It slams on the brakes and that drives me and my passengers crazy. I use 3 most of the time and sometimes even 4 so that the slowdown is much more graceful.

I don't really care if someone pulls in front of me in the gap. The drive is much more enjoyable and with BC engaged the journey is a breeze with little or no ping-pong effect.

Roxy'sHusband

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RWD Standard Range
Country flag
Try setting lane keeping sensitivity to HIGH. It's counterintuitive. you'd think it would make it pinball more but it actually damped most of it and smoothed the ride tremendously. It also now more closely matches my own decisions in turns, as in it starts the turn sooner than medium sensitivity, which delayed until a little deeper into the turn than I was comfortable with.

OP
OP

Carl22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE (waiting)
Country flag
I didn't mention it in the original post but I did try and have had the lane keeping sensitivity setting on High for all the above tests.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I just tried it out cause I got it OTA last week, and it worked really great on US-19 heading to Clearwater, didn’t notice the ping ponging.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Bluecruise back and forth oscillation C144ACF6-3D67-44E2-8042-559BD94DA908
Sponsored