Car won't start, only enters accessory mode

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Ford software updates continue to be a bad deal - you get the risk of minor-to-major failures in exchange for little or no improvement in the car. I have not accepted an update in nearly a year, and do not miss them. I see so many people eagerly look forward to the updates, and spend significant time and effort to get them installed. The return on investment just seems very, very poor.
Sponsored

rhford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
It was an update for DC fast charging. I usually wait on updates for this reason. I let my guard down. Lesson learned.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Wow, your car got stuck in inhibit mode after the OTA. Very rare. Yes it will have to be towed and likely updated manually. Sorry that sucks, this is what the OTA engineers have nightmares about.

Make sure you call the BEV team and get a case started for this.
This screen was around with the first inhibit updates on the BC rollout.

Someone told me on Reddit who claimed to work for OTA team that when this happens multiple alerts go off at the home base or whatever cause it's so rare, is that true?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'd like to know what specific update that is / was? If ours (6 month old 2023 - same specs) hasn't received it maybe I'll stop updates for a week to make sure it's not more common. Then again it could just be a fluke based on very unique circumstances....but as a techie I err on the cautions side of things.
FWIW I've read this is super rare and I think it's more due to the individual vehicle status or something happened during install than the actual update

OP
OP

jtcalvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME Premium Extended RWD
Country flag
I'd like to know what specific update that is / was? If ours (6 month old 2023 - same specs) hasn't received it maybe I'll stop updates for a week to make sure it's not more common. Then again it could just be a fluke based on very unique circumstances....but as a techie I err on the cautions side of things.
The update was 4.3.4: Improved DC Fast Charging

OP
OP

jtcalvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford software updates continue to be a bad deal - you get the risk of minor-to-major failures in exchange for little or no improvement in the car. I have not accepted an update in nearly a year, and do not miss them. I see so many people eagerly look forward to the updates, and spend significant time and effort to get them installed. The return on investment just seems very, very poor.
Yeah, ironically I almost never even use DC fast charging, so I didn't really even care about this update. I just had it set to auto-update.

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I'd be curious if you get any push-back on the loaner/rental support.

Its_my_wifes_car

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The update was 4.3.4: Improved DC Fast Charging
Thanks it appears we got that on July 14th with no issues. Sorry about your troubles....hope the turnaround resolution is reasonably quick....

Its_my_wifes_car

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah, ironically I almost never even use DC fast charging, so I didn't really even care about this update. I just had it set to auto-update.
Ditto - Auto-update and we've used fast charging twice since vehicle received in December: once just to try it out and once "just to be safe".

OP
OP

jtcalvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Alright everyone, here's the update!

The service center got my car in this morning and was able to quickly see that the issue was indeed due to the OTA update failing in the middle of installation so the car was not able to uninhibit. They were able to clear the bad update, and then manually install it and the car is now driveable! Going to pick it up soon.

The service center originally said it would be a week before they could even look at it. I think the OTA team at Ford was able to put some pressure on the dealer to get it in faster. I highly recommend reaching out to Ford to open a case because they did seem to advocate for me and were genuinely concerned about what I was dealing with.

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
Thanks for the idea, but yeah, I've already left it for a couple hours and came back hoping it maybe resolved itself. But I'm now seeing this on the screen, so definitely update-related.

IMG_4268.jpg
Are these towing instructions new? Is this a way to get the car into Neutral if the 12 v battery is dead? This is the first Iā€™ve seen this.

rhford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I just picked up my restored Mach-E from the dealer. 1-day turn around and the car rental was complimentary. The service notes say:

HAD TO PUSH VEHICLE IN SHOP OVER AIR UPDATE FAILED AND VEHICLE DOES NOT START CHECKED OASIS AND FOUND OBCC FAILED IN WHICH CAUSED CONCERN SO PERFORMED OVER AIR UPDATE RESET AND PERFORMED OBCC PROGRAMMING FOR CONCERN AND NOW VEHICLE STARTS

Anyone know what the OBCC is?

Yes, those are the instructions I had to follow to put the car in neutral in accessory mode. Both pedals floored was the tricky part.

OP
OP

jtcalvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are these towing instructions new? Is this a way to get the car into Neutral if the 12 v battery is dead? This is the first Iā€™ve seen this.
I believe there is no way to put the car in neutral if the 12V is dead. You'd have to jump the 12V first.

OP
OP

jtcalvert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just picked up my restored Mach-E from the dealer. 1-day turn around and the car rental was complimentary. The service notes say:

HAD TO PUSH VEHICLE IN SHOP OVER AIR UPDATE FAILED AND VEHICLE DOES NOT START CHECKED OASIS AND FOUND OBCC FAILED IN WHICH CAUSED CONCERN SO PERFORMED OVER AIR UPDATE RESET AND PERFORMED OBCC PROGRAMMING FOR CONCERN AND NOW VEHICLE STARTS

Anyone know what the OBCC is?

Yes, those are the instructions I had to follow to put the car in neutral in accessory mode. Both pedals floored was the tricky part.
OBCC is the module that controls the DC fast charging.

Mockstang

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER, 1967 V8 4bbl
Occupation
Pro