CarPlay and SiriusXM

Quack2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi
Country flag
After 6 months of no issues, the last two weeks CarPlay and the native Sync SiriusXM/Radio have stopped playing nice. Specifically I cannot listen to satellite radio while connected to Car Play. In the past you could toggle between them by touching the tile. Have Googlemaps directions on the screen while listening to Road Trip Radio but not it has to be one or the other. To listen to the radio I have to turn off the wifi (or switch to the Bluetooth and disconnect CarPlay). I love the ability to get texts and phone calls through the CarPlay interface but hate trying to use the Sirius App through CarPlay. Anyone else having this issue? Thoughts on a fix? Drives me nuts. Thanks all.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My dad has a similar complaint on his Honda CR-V. He couldn't listen to Sirius while using Android Auto.

I thought he was just "doing it wrong" but I finally looked closer and realized he's right. All the audio controls are locked out while Android Auto is connected to his vehicle. You can't even adjust balance and fade.

I eventually realized he could play Sirius through the Android app and that works okay but it's still weird. It's like there's little point in installing the satellite receiver antenna into vehicles at this point. ?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have no idea if turning off the car and letting it sleep has the same effect as rebooting the SYNCH system, but have you tired that?? Holding down Volume Down and the Right Arrow for I think 10 seconds, or until you see the panel turn off.

I use Carplay and listen to SiriusXM without issue. Lots of time I have my Google Maps up when listening to it.

OP
OP

Quack2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi
Country flag
I have no idea if turning off the car and letting it sleep has the same effect as rebooting the SYNCH system, but have you tired that?? Holding down Volume Down and the Right Arrow for I think 10 seconds, or until you see the panel turn off.

I use Carplay and listen to SiriusXM without issue. Lots of time I have my Google Maps up when listening to it.
Thanks. I’ve tried both a hard reset of the sync system (volume down/arrow) as well as removed and reconnected my phone both to Bluetooth and CarPlay. Neither made a different. One morning it was working again and then the next time I got in the car it stopped working. Makes me think it’s just an issue with my car (maybe a few others) cause it is capable of working correctly and others don’t seem to have this problem. I guess I’ll just hang tight and make do until the next OtA or service appointment. Don’t think I want to bring it to the dealer just for this. But still, very annoying.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. I’ve tried both a hard reset of the sync system (volume down/arrow) as well as removed and reconnected my phone both to Bluetooth and CarPlay. Neither made a different. One morning it was working again and then the next time I got in the car it stopped working. Makes me think it’s just an issue with my car (maybe a few others) cause it is capable of working correctly and others don’t seem to have this problem. I guess I’ll just hang tight and make do until the next OtA or service appointment. Don’t think I want to bring it to the dealer just for this. But still, very annoying.
What I found was that the app on my phone would take over the sound output, switching out the radio. I’d hit the radio tile, but the app would push it right back out. So I just quit the app, it was just a game or checking home security cameras while charging.

OP
OP

Quack2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi
Country flag
What I found was that the app on my phone would take over the sound output, switching out the radio. I’d hit the radio tile, but the app would push it right back out. So I just quit the app, it was just a game or checking home security cameras while charging.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll try closing out of the other apps on my phone before heading home from work later today. Fingers crossed. Appreciate the reply.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
If the SiriusXM App weren’t so horrible, I’d actually consider it to be the sole use case for using CarPlay. Alas, the CarPlay version of the SiriusXM app seems to have been developed by a bunch of people who actually despise their jobs and have a deep-seated hatred of users.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
If your home cameras have 2 way audio (like a Ring doorbell or Nest Hello), the phone sees them like a voice calling app so they mute audio and thus mute the car audio too. I drove myself nuts for a while till I figured this one out.

OP
OP

Quack2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Energi
Country flag
If your home cameras have 2 way audio (like a Ring doorbell or Nest Hello), the phone sees them like a voice calling app so they mute audio and thus mute the car audio too. I drove myself nuts for a while till I figured this one out.
I do have a ring system. Eager to try this troubleshoot on the way home. Thanks all.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Yep, they’re Arlo with the ability to talk over them.

What I would like is the ability to direct the audio to where I want it. For that, I didn’t need or want it over the CarPlay connection. Like it does with my HomePod speaker. It plays my music, but the audio for Arlo or games stays on the phone speaker while the music keeps playing on the speaker.
Sponsored