MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I am lucky that my wife and I carpool most of the time but I am looking forward to purchasing the MME and getting the pass to be in the carpool lane when I am alone. I have read that it is best not to put the carpool stickers directly to the cars paint but put it on 3M vinyl protection film and then attach the 3M film, with the sticker attached, to the car. I found a quick video showing the process. Anyone done the same?

If not, has anyone attached directly to the car and tried to remove the carpool stickers? Any paint damage?

Sponsored

PonyWatts21

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang Mach e. 1930 model a roaster pickup
Occupation
Fire engine captain
Country flag
I’ve heard that too although I’m not putting them on it looks tacky I highly doubt CHP will pull you over they know it’s an EV

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I would put them on, unless you don't mind getting pulled over (not really likely to happen but really not worth it in my opinion and not worth a fix-it ticket or whatever they would do.

I just did this yesterday. The PPF film isn't very expensive. You probably only need to by a 4" min height roll instead of the 12" that she had. The only thing with this is that you cannot reposition it after the PPF film has been applied to the car. Yes, I know it's removable and can be taken off and fixed, but the two films do not stretch the same and will delaminate (which mine did). So, if you do this, just put it on once and ignore any air bubbles (if you don't use the soap method) and you'll be good to go. The only downside is that it makes these easy to steal, which I don't really see that happening too often.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
After applying two sets of stickers to two different cars now, I'll follow the same procedure I did before. Wash the areas thoroughly with Dawn dish soap, dry, and apply the stickers. The concern is much higher that they'll accidentally come off when you don't want them to vs not being to remove them down the line. I assure you, you'll be able to remove them when you want to with a heat gun.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I installed the stickers directly to the paint. I haven't tried removing them obviously as it would destroy them. But I did remove the stickers in the past from other cars, there isn't any problem. Get a $10 plastic remover and liquid from amazon, it takes a few minutes to remove them, nothing gets damaged.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony2022

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I tend to be a by the book kind of person. I am in SF Bay Area and the CHP is always sitting on HWY 85 looking for car pool violations and that ticket is $490. Ouch!

Great input on the role height, I found one that was 6 inches that seemed to look right. Even better advise on the install, thanks. I drive to and from work with my wife most of the time. Do not really see them stealing the stickers at her or my work. The rest of time it will be in the garage. If they steal them, then I will just figure they needed them more then me, and just get new ones.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I’ve heard that too although I’m not putting them on it looks tacky I highly doubt CHP will pull you over they know it’s an EV
They will pull you over first and then find out it was an EV ? At that point it will be too late, they aren't working for free.

Dianasmith6347

First Name
Diana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
oh they will pull you over! I didn't want to put them on mine either but I had no choice because I was pulled over twice. the 2nd cop gave me a fix it ticket. so annoying!
Sponsored