Change power window lock to also lock passenger door window? Can this be done... to save my dog from being guillotined

phasornc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E4x California, 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV
Country flag
Hi all,

I've noticed that when I hit the power window lock it only freezes the back windows. This seems different than what I remember from my previous Escpae and several Honda's and Mazda's that I've owned in the past.

Like most dogs, my dog loves riding in the passenger seat with his head out the window (he has a restraint to keep him from jumping/falling out). However his paw somehow slides under the power window button and he raises the window. I have to cover the switch or but him I'm the back seat... which he does not like.

Is there a way to get the power window switch to lock out the passenger window?

Michael
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Take the passenger door panel off and unplug the switch.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Kudos to you that you restrain the dog so it cannot fall out. I see too many people driving down the road with the dog 3/4 the way out the window. A good bump or hard braking and they will be going to the vet or the shelter for a new animal. Sad thing is that it is not the animals fault but they will pay the price. Below is photo I took years ago at a stoplight. This person was driving down the road with his cat hanging out the window. Yes it had a harness and leash but It would not have prevented it from at least dangling along the car until the person could stop. It was funny at the time but I then realized the animal could get hurt. Ok, enough of my soap box talk....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Change power window lock to also lock passenger door window?  Can this be done... to save my dog from being guillotined 1709329631039

Another option is to cover the switch with something hard so it cannot be pushed with a paw. Cheap and easy would be cardboard and some blue painters tape. More complex would be molded plastic colored to match the interior. If you wanted to really lock the switch out, a means to cut off the power would be needed. You could determine how the button locks the back window and run cabling over to the passenger window to use that switch. An independent switch could be added that interrupts the power to passenger window.

I mean this in a very respectful way and as a simply and easier solution, put the dog(s) in the back seat.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Hi all,

Is there a way to get the power window switch to lock out the passenger window?

Michael

Get yourself a Die (dice) that fits in the space (or other soft'ish 'thing' ) put a screw in it and plug the opening. You can still remove/pull the block out for 'normal' passengers.

can't get paws under it, and can't push the window down further.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Kudos to you that you restrain the dog so it cannot fall out. I see too many people driving down the road with the dog 3/4 the way out the window. A good bump or hard braking and they will be going to the vet or the shelter for a new animal. Sad thing is that it is not the animals fault but they will pay the price. Below is photo I took years ago at a stoplight. This person was driving down the road with his cat hanging out the window. Yes it had a harness and leash but It would not have prevented it from at least dangling along the car until the person could stop. It was funny at the time but I then realized the animal could get hurt. Ok, enough of my soap box talk....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Change power window lock to also lock passenger door window?  Can this be done... to save my dog from being guillotined 1709329631039

Another option is to cover the switch with something hard so it cannot be pushed with a paw. Cheap and easy would be cardboard and some blue painters tape. More complex would be molded plastic colored to match the interior. If you wanted to really lock the switch out, a means to cut off the power would be needed. You could determine how the button locks the back window and run cabling over to the passenger window to use that switch. An independent switch could be added that interrupts the power to passenger window.

I mean this in a very respectful way and as a simply and easier solution, put the dog(s) in the back seat.
I don't want to get morbid here, but unrestrained, uncontained family members of any size just become meat-and-bone missiles in an accident, usually to their great detriment, and to the detriment of anyone else in the vehicle. I can't tell you how sad I get when I see drivers who have their little family members sitting in their lap. If that airbag goes off, fido is pretty much guaranteed traumatic crush injuries and fido's mom or dad are likely going to suffer injuries as well. Please keep your family members restrained or in a secured crate in the back.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Our windows have pinch protection

Red Hawk

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach-E AWD Premium
Country flag
Our windows have pinch protection

Thanks, that is good to know! It might be a great selling point if the sales team is aware! My salesman was not at all knowledgeable about the MME. And am curious, is this a video you shot? I notice it's grabber blue. :)

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Thanks, that is good to know! It might be a great selling point if the sales team is aware! My salesman was not at all knowledgeable about the MME. And am curious, is this a video you shot? I notice it's grabber blue. :)
Yes. I took the video when I read the post.
IMG_2627.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: