Charge Port Door Won't Close - Part Fell out... Easy fix?

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
Hello -

First issue with my MME since getting it (other than some software glitches) We had rain then pretty much a flash freeze so my Charge Door was a little difficult to open when I got home from work but nothing crazy. Went I left for work it was a little difficult to close as well. I got to work and the door would not open. I ended up getting it to open but the little rubber part of the door looked a little messed up so I fixed it and went to close the door, as soon as I did I hear something falling out of the car and hits the ground.

It doesn't look like it is damaged, it just seems like it popped off / out somehow. Any chance I can put it back in place?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Door Won't Close - Part Fell out... Easy fix? 1671909948758
Sponsored

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Hello -

First issue with my MME since getting it (other than some software glitches) We had rain then pretty much a flash freeze so my Charge Door was a little difficult to open when I got home from work but nothing crazy. Went I left for work it was a little difficult to close as well. I got to work and the door would not open. I ended up getting it to open but the little rubber part of the door looked a little messed up so I fixed it and went to close the door, as soon as I did I hear something falling out of the car and hits the ground.

It doesn't look like it is damaged, it just seems like it popped off / out somehow. Any chance I can put it back in place?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Door Won't Close - Part Fell out... Easy fix? 1671912156850

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Door Won't Close - Part Fell out... Easy fix? 1671912311209

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Almost 20 months with the car and I’ve never had this happen. Something is amiss.
It happens after a hard rain and then a freeze like we just had in the northeast yesterday. I had no problems from delivery in January until November but we didn’t have any of those events. This is my third time since November. Dealership is going to swap out the assembly with a new one to see if it makes a difference.

I’ve been using a deicing spray since the last time but it didn’t help.

OP
OP
BostonPete

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Plan on needing to pop it back in place "regularly". I have had to do mine twice in the last month.

Woah ok so it looks like a relatively easy fix? The images are a little cut off especially the second one... So it looks like that panel comes off? I just push down the 4 "Locks" and pop the panel off and I should be able to put the part back in place?

Taking a closer look at it how do you unlock the 4 clips holding it in. Do you just stick a screwdriver in the slots? I hope / assume this can be done from outside without taking the frunk apart?

Thank you so much, I was looking for a service / repair manual but couldn't find one cheap. yet.

Last edited:

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Woah ok so it looks like a relatively easy fix? The images are a little cut off especially the second one... So it looks like that panel comes off? I just push down the 4 "Locks" and pop the panel off and I should be able to put the part back in place?

Taking a closer look at it how do you unlock the 4 clips holding it in. Do you just stick a screwdriver in the slots? I hope / assume this can be done from outside without taking the frunk apart?

Thank you so much, I was looking for a service / repair manual but couldn't find one cheap. yet.
You just need to release the clips shown in the first image. I just showed the second image cropped to show the socket. It is pretty easy as long as it isn’t still frozen.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Almost 20 months with the car and I’ve never had this happen. Something is amiss.
Me either but you need to treat it with kid gloves. It becomes a bit of a pain when out side and snowing. I have a sock that goes over the head of the charger and seals the connection pretty well. It is the snow and ice that collect in the bottom of the compartment that requires attention. I have got the hair drier out before. It would be better if it flipped up and made a roof. A lot could be done to make it more solid and practical. I would say it is a bit flimsy for something you are into more than ICE.

OP
OP
BostonPete

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You just need to release the clips shown in the first image. I just showed the second image cropped to show the socket. It is pretty easy as long as it isn’t still frozen.
Hi I am finally out of work and I took a look at it, how do I release the clips? I tried sticking a small smudge tool in and it doesn't seem like they move? I don't get it based on the photos?

Detailed directions would be greatly appreciated.

mmulk123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Select
Country flag
I'm having the same issue. Was anybody able to figure out how to release those 4 clips? Does this have to be accessed from the inside or can they be opened from the outside?
Sponsored