First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
I was wondering,..
I had a discussion with a Tesla 3 owner the other day about travelling through europe without fears of running out of juice.
He told me he was quite happy to drive from the upper north of the Netherlands all the way to Southern France.
The peace of mind came from the Tesla charging network and so he had no issues getting to his destination, although with a few stops.
I was wondering, does anyone have thoughts on this, as Mach-E drivers will have to rely on the various non-tesla charging stations.
Will there be sufficient charging stations? Any doubts or insights?
Sponsored

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I was wondering,..
I had a discussion with a Tesla 3 owner the other day about travelling through europe without fears of running out of juice.
He told me he was quite happy to drive from the upper north of the Netherlands all the way to Southern France.
The peace of mind came from the Tesla charging network and so he had no issues getting to his destination, although with a few stops.
I was wondering, does anyone have thoughts on this, as Mach-E drivers will have to rely on the various non-tesla charging stations.
In Europe they are partnering with Ionity. In the US, there is plenty of fast DC chargers that make the Mach E a viable replacement. Europe should have even more, due to government mandates!

https://ionity.eu/

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
I am expecting lots of issues this summer, so it is nice that our Mustang arrives way after that. So we can expect better lessons learned next summer.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Tesla in Europe is CCS via governmental mandates. Tesla in USA is Tesla Superchargers. No Tesla to CCS adaptors in the USA via Tesla decisions. I do not agree with this Tesla USA thinking.

micstriit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq electric, Renault Twizy
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
so far i never had problems in europe to reach my destination, even my Ioniq only has 200km of range. I would say the difference is that a non Tesla need a little bit of more planning, but not much anymore. Best go to abetterrouteplanner.com and try some destinations.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
raising the dead (threads).

https://insideevs.com/news/448519/ford-comprehensive-charging-solutions-europe/

Ford Announces A Comprehensive Charging Solutions For Europe
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Network in Europe 1602608955317

Oct 13, 2020 1h ago
mark-kane1.jpg

By: Mark Kane

Ford is doing a lot to cover all charging needs of Mustang Mach-E customers.
Ford revealed its comprehensive charging solutions for Europe, which seems to cover all aspects of owning the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach-E (in Europe from early 2021).
From home charging, through public charging and access to the IONITY fast charging network for long-distance travel - let's see all the points of the offer, one by one. Ford encourages that the package will result in a seamless, stress-free and confidence-inspiring all-electric vehicle ownership experience.
Standard charging cables
All new Ford Mustang Mach-E to come with two charging cables as standard:
  • Universal Home Charge Cord (6.7 metres)
    The cable to charge from standard domestic sockets and 32 A blue industrial sockets for higher speed charging,
    There will be several adapters as the domestic sockets vary between countries.
    "Appropriate adapters will be provided for use in the customer’s home market, and additional adapters for travelling will also be available."
  • FordPublic Charge Cable (6 metres long)
    The cable to charge from public/work charging points (Type 2 outlets, Mode 3).
    "Compatible with the common charging standard in Europe, enabling customers to easily connect to AC chargers while at work or to top up their batteries while shopping or watching a movie in town. At 6 metres long, the cable helps ensure convenient charging is never out of reach."
Ford Connected Wallbox
In the case of "simple, cost-effective" home charging, the company will offer an optional Ford Connected Wallbox installation in partnership with six partners in 14 initial markets:
  • Alpiq: Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy
  • Centrica: the UK and Ireland;
  • DEFA: Norway and Sweden
  • Eneco: the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg
  • ETRA: Spain and Portugal
  • Zeborne: France
There will be two versions of the wall-mounted wallbox with 7.5-metre cable:

• 7.4 kW
    Charging from 10-80% state-of-charge should take about 8 hours (standard-range battery) or 10 hours (extended-range battery).
  • 11 kW (three-phase)
    Charging from 10-80% state-of-charge should take about 6 hours (standard-range battery) or 7 hours (extended-range battery).
Charging from 10-80% state-of-charge should take about 6 hours (standard-range battery) or 8 hours (extended-range battery).
The wallbox is connected, which means that it allows you to check the status remotely:
"Owners can remotely monitor and control the Ford Connected Wallbox from their smartphone using the FordPass smartphone app, 3 enabling them to check on current charge, energy used, and even remotely enable family or friends to use the charger. The wallboxes are weather-proofed for outdoor installation, and are equipped with an integrated 7.5-metre cable."
FordPass Charging Network
Finally, public charging. It will be possible from more than 155,000 charging points (AC and DC) in Europe using a single account. The FordPass Charging Network service is delivered in partnership with NewMotion.
"Customers will be able to use the FordPass app to effortlessly locate, navigate to, pay for and monitor charging at locations across 21 countries – initiating and paying for services from a single account."
"*Requires feature activation. FordPass App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply."
Those who order the Mustang Mach-E this year and into 2021 will receive five years of free access to the FordPass Charging Network and one year of free access to the IONITY network.
Acces to IONITY
One year of free access to IONITY network sounds pretty interesting. Then the rate will be reduced to €0.31 per kWh (instead of €0.79 per kWh standard from IONITY).
According to Ford, at 150 kW, the Mustang Mach-E with extended-range battery, in 10 minutes will replenish around 119 km (73 miles) of range.
ford-mustang-mach-e-in-europe.jpg

ford-mustang-mach-e.jpg

ford-mustang-mach-e-revealed-at-beijing-motor-show.jpg

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
you can buy a converter on Amazon or ebay to
charge at Tesla charging stations you know

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
you can buy a converter on Amazon or ebay to
charge at Tesla charging stations you know
Only at some level 1 and 2 Tesla "destinations." Not for "supercharging."

And this post is about the charge network in Europe, where Teslas use the European standard "Mennekes Type 2" connector (IEC 62196) instead of a proprietary plug and inlet.

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
Only at some level 1 and 2 Tesla "destinations." Not for "supercharging."

And this post is about the charge network in Europe, where Teslas use the European standard "Mennekes Type 2" connector (IEC 62196) instead of a proprietary plug and inlet.
You've obviously done your homework and researched your options

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
You've obviously done your homework and researched your options
In my defense, I blame the fact that I reserved this vehicle in November 2019 and waited nearly 16 months to receive it. That's a TON OF TIME to read up on all the things, especially with my illness that I'll call "big purchase OCD." :)

I hope your journey will be far shorter, and that you stick around and learn (and share!) lots of cool stuff while you're waiting. ;)

Lucky luke

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have my MME for 2 months and have only charged at home. Now I am planning a trip abroad (France, Italy) and I am wondering what network cards I should foresee to load on the road. What are the best covering and cheapest public networks in Europe?

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
I have my MME for 2 months and have only charged at home. Now I am planning a trip abroad (France, Italy) and I am wondering what network cards I should foresee to load on the road. What are the best covering and cheapest public networks in Europe?
Last year I did some research into cards for France and which ones are well accepted on B-roads.
My conclusion was that Freshmile works best there. But you might want to investigate yourself.
For the highways, most fastchargers are Ionity so make sure your card is accepted at Ionity for sure.
Hope this helps - enjoy your trip!
No experience in Italy unfortunately.

QuRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME RWD/ER (Space White)
Country flag
Now I am planning a trip abroad (France, Italy) and I am wondering what network cards I should foresee to load on the road. What are the best covering and cheapest public networks in Europe?
I thought that ALL new purchases of European Mach-Es came with a one year test membership in the Ford BlueOval Charge Network? At least that was (is) the case here in Germany. And if you have that, it includes access to the Ionity network at VERY favourable conditions.

I so far have used their DC chargers only once, but that was at a dirt cheap rate of 31 Cents/kWh - as opposed to the 79 Cents/kWh which they would normally steal from you under non-test conditions.

AFAIK they have one of the more dense networks in Europe, so maybe also in France & Italy, but you have to check yourself. And, they are almost exclusively located on large thoroughfares, i.e. highways.

Last edited:

BlackHorse

First Name
Hub
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
I was wondering,..
In Europe a lot of Super chargers are already available for non-tesla drivers.
See https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging
Sponsored