Charging Pad Dimensions?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The new iPads have USB-C (hate it), while the older ones still use lightning cables.
Well iPhone ls are too. We may finally have the dream of a "universal" connector. (In quotes because capabilities are varied, Thunderbolt, Power Delivery, etc.). I can charge my phone and laptop with same charger. With thunderbolt I can run two displays, peripherals, and power my laptop all with one cable.

Why don't you like it?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Current iPad Pro uses USB-C not lightning. I believe the Mach-E has a USB-C slot.
An iPad Pro doesn't fit in her purse like an iPad Mini does. Not that it matters - her current Mini does Lightning. It really doesn't matter what anything else uses.

If the USB-A port won't do high power, I can use the 12V, like I have in every car for the past 10+ years. Not really worried about it.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
An iPad Pro doesn't fit in her purse like an iPad Mini does. Not that it matters - her current Mini does Lightning. It really doesn't matter what anything else uses.

If the USB-A port won't do high power, I can use the 12V, like I have in every car for the past 10+ years. Not really worried about it.
The iPad mini is great for that purpose. It is easy to get an inexpensive USB-C to Lightning cable if you want to plug in to the USB-C port on the Mach-E but Mach-E also has USB-A ports and the 12v port that you mention--so many choices

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Update on the biggest phone that will fit?

Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My only concern now, is one of the videos said their Iphone 12 pro max barely fits in the charging pad! haha Im glad thats the only thing i see so far. The rubber mat is removable though

iphone 12 pro max in mac e video queued up here:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My only concern now, is one of the videos said their Iphone 12 pro max barely fits in the charging pad! haha Im glad thats the only thing i see so far. The rubber mat is removable though
since the mat is removable, I'm expecting a China third-party to slap together replacements with larger slots fairly quickly.

Some of the video suggests there's also a little "notch" there in the rubber mat that I bet you could, if you're willing to "damage" the car, remove... can't find a pic quickly right now.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I didn't have a Pro Max at the time, but here's a picture of a 7 Plus with a thin case on it. That fit just fine.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Pad Dimensions? IMG_8018.JPG

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
since the mat is removable, I'm expecting a China third-party to slap together replacements with larger slots fairly quickly.

Some of the video suggests there's also a little "notch" there in the rubber mat that I bet you could, if you're willing to "damage" the car, remove... can't find a pic quickly right now.
ah there the notch is in @generaltso 's picture
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Pad Dimensions? 1608134866200

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But the passenger will be inconvenienced by having to plug in their phone every time they pick it up to use it during the drive.
why would they need to plug it in/out every time they pick it up? Why not just use it at will and then, if it starts getting low on charge, plug it in? During the day at home do you plug your phone in every time you set it down?

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well iPhone ls are too. We may finally have the dream of a "universal" connector. (In quotes because capabilities are varied, Thunderbolt, Power Delivery, etc.). I can charge my phone and laptop with same charger. With thunderbolt I can run two displays, peripherals, and power my laptop all with one cable.

Why don't you like it?
The iPhone does NOT have a USB-C connector. It is still Lightening. Yes, the charger brick has a USB-C port but the connector on the iPhone is not.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The iPhone does NOT have a USB-C connector. It is still Lightening. Yes, the charger brick has a USB-C port but the connector on the iPhone is not.
Yeah my mistake. At one point in time it was rumored that the iPhone would have USB-c instead of Lightning. I think the current rumors are that Apple will remove the Lightning and replace it with nothing.
Sponsored