BigDan001

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Hi All - I just plugged into a regular outlet at my house. Everything charged fine for a couple days. Then one day, it just showed Charging Paused and wouldn't charge. After spending way too much time researching & poking around, I realized that the adapter needed to be pushed into the charger one more little millimeter. Doh! Hope this saves someone stress.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yup. This is EXTREMELY common. So much so that Ford even put out a special bulletin about it.

rplinpa

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
Yup. This is EXTREMELY common. So much so that Ford even put out a special bulletin about it.
How do you get these updates? My Ford charger works intermittently. It often takes 4-5 try's to get to a point where the blue charging light glows indicating it is charging. What is maddening is the dedicated breaker keeps tripping. In a rock and hard spot: pay an electrician to look at it or complain to Ford that the charger isn't working right.

Advice?

dano

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Country flag
How do you get these updates? My Ford charger works intermittently. It often takes 4-5 try's to get to a point where the blue charging light glows indicating it is charging. What is maddening is the dedicated breaker keeps tripping. In a rock and hard spot: pay an electrician to look at it or complain to Ford that the charger isn't working right.

Advice?
Do you have somewhere else you could try charging it with your existing charger (a neighbor's house perhaps)? That eliminates several variables (the dedicated breaker, outlet, etc) without involving an electrician or Ford.

Another option is seeing if the dealer would let you try a different mobile charger (I assume that's what you're using). Again, that eliminates one variable.

rplinpa

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
Do you have somewhere else you could try charging it with your existing charger (a neighbor's house perhaps)? That eliminates several variables (the dedicated breaker, outlet, etc) without involving an electrician or Ford.

Another option is seeing if the dealer would let you try a different mobile charger (I assume that's what you're using). Again, that eliminates one variable.
No, not the mobile charger: Iftars is the Ford charger, level 2

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Advice?
Tripping circuit could mean:

• Charge station isn't configured to match the circuit's rating. You can use the FordPass app to try reducing the maximum amperage and see if that solves the issue. If so, you need an electrician to come back out and either correct the dip switches inside the charger, or replace the circuit with the one you originally paid for.
  • A short circuit is occurring, causing the circuit to overdraw and trip. For this, you need the electrician to diagnose and repair.
  • The circuit breaker is worn out and needs to be replaced.
  • A GFCI breaker was used, but shouldn't have been. The Ford Connected Charge Station performs ground fault tests to ensure the wiring was done properly. These tests can cause the upstream ground fault detector to trip. To correct this, the electrician needs to replace the breaker with a standard (non-GFI) one.
Seems like no matter what, you'll probably need an electrician to do a repair.

rplinpa

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
Tripping circuit could mean:

• Charge station isn't configured to match the circuit's rating. You can use the FordPass app to try reducing the maximum amperage and see if that solves the issue. If so, you need an electrician to come back out and either correct the dip switches inside the charger, or replace the circuit with the one you originally paid for.
  • A short circuit is occurring, causing the circuit to overdraw and trip. For this, you need the electrician to diagnose and repair.
  • The circuit breaker is worn out and needs to be replaced.
  • A GFCI breaker was used, but shouldn't have been. The Ford Connected Charge Station performs ground fault tests to ensure the wiring was done properly. These tests can cause the upstream ground fault detector to trip. To correct this, the electrician needs to replace the breaker with a standard (non-GFI) one.
Seems like no matter what, you'll probably need an electrician to do a repair.
Thank you!

rplinpa

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
Ok and yeah there is another possibility which is that something is messed up in your charge station that is not the installer's fault... But I'm thinking it's probably better to have the electrician check everything else first.
One oddity is I have seen a blue light in the charging station. (mid point) in some pictures. That light has never been present on mine since it was installed in Feb. Trying to find the "bulletins" Ford put out about the issues with the charging station but so far have had no luck.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
One oddity is I have seen a blue light in the charging station. (mid point) in some pictures. That light has never been present on mine since it was installed in Feb. Trying to find the "bulletins" Ford put out about the issues with the charging station but so far have had no luck.
The blue light only in the middle, and not glowing or flashing, means that it's powered up, ready to go, but not plugged into a vehicle.

Once you plug in it should become a wide blue light. And if the vehicle wants to charge at that time, it should be a slowly pulsing wide blue light.

As for bulletins... Yes, there was an important bulletin about making sure that the station is connected to wifi so that it can pull down a critical update. Without that update you might see the light turn fully red and the station won't be usable anymore.

rplinpa

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
The blue light only in the middle, and not glowing or flashing, means that it's powered up, ready to go, but not plugged into a vehicle.

Once you plug in it should become a wide blue light. And if the vehicle wants to charge at that time, it should be a slowly pulsing wide blue light.

As for bulletins... Yes, there was an important bulletin about making sure that the station is connected to wifi so that it can pull down a critical update. Without that update you might see the light turn fully red and the station won't be usable anymore.
Thanks!

Monkeyking

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC 60 recharge, Mach E AWD premium
Country flag
I just encountered this ”charging paused” issue too. i have been using the same lvl2 charger for the last 3 months without a problem. I tried plugging/unplugoing, tinkering with the charging schedule, all failed. So I decided to try my wife’s lvl2 charger, and it worked! So it appears that my charger is the problem. But then I plugged my charger into her car and it worked for her car!

what is going on?!

nhdave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Ram 1500
Country flag
Hi All - I just plugged into a regular outlet at my house. Everything charged fine for a couple days. Then one day, it just showed Charging Paused and wouldn't charge. After spending way too much time researching & poking around, I realized that the adapter needed to be pushed into the charger one more little millimeter. Doh! Hope this saves someone stress.
Wow! Thanks so much! I just got my E and couldn't get it to charge. Pushed the plug in a little further and success. Definitely saved me some stress.
Sponsored