Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Where are those numbers coming from?
In fact battery manufacturers specify capacity at a certain load based on a discharge curve from some voltage to some cutoff voltage. The battery never discharged to 0 voltage. Can you provide the battery discharge curve and the levels Ford set as 0 and 100%?
On my car, when it reads 100% on the display, the actual S.O.C. is around 96.5%. Never ran it down to 0% but I suspect when the display reads zero the actual battery charge percentage will be about 7.5%
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think the main point you are missing here is that Ford won't let you charge to 100% of actual capacity. The most you can actually charge to is 89% of the true capacity of the pack which is achieved when you charge until the MME state of charge meter reports 100% and stops charging.

In other words it's not possible to actually charge the MME to 100% because Ford made it impossible by protecting the battery from the user with such a huge buffer of 11% which cannot be used by the user.
I think you're missing that Capacity ≠ State of Charge (SoC). They are two different scales.

You can charge to 100% SoC and only have 89% usable capacity. As I said before, the buffer is mostly at the bottom of pack's capacity, not the top. Pretend it's like a gas tank, you can fill it all the way to the top (100% SoC) but there might be a gallon or two left in the bottom you can't use due to the fuel pickup design (less than 100% usable capacity). So if you have a 20 gallon gas tank and you run completely out of gas, you'll only be able to put in about 18 gallons, but it will still be 100% full after filling.

If you still don't understand, read this post by EVmodeler: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-extended-range-battery-buffers-and-dcfc-limits.2431/

It is possible to charge the Mach-E up to ~97% SoC, which is a high enough cell voltage to cause some degradation over time. This is why Ford says not to charge above 90% for daily use in the manual.