Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD EX; Rapid Red
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Anyone else noticing oddities with their charging schedules? For example, I set my entire workday week to charge specifically from 12am to 6am (discount hours). In the vehicle, I've confirmed this is set for Mon-Fri, and set to charge up to 90%, on Nema 14-50 40A.

According to my logs, the following occurred:
Plugged in Tuesday at 5:28pm, at 71%
Charging Start, Wednesday 4:00am (wtf?)
Charging End , Wednesday 8:00am

The night before this, I got one of those notices on my app saying that the vehicle will need to charge outside of my defined hours in order to reach its charging goal. I thought this was in error since it should charge the entire 29% within my 12am to 6am timeframe. Then upon reviewing this on the app, the app notice was correct, but only because it's not charging within my defined hours.

And to clarify, I've set the charging times within the Vehicle itself. Have not been able to setup charging times through the app. Just keeps erroring that FordPass isn't responding when I go into charging schedule. I have a ticket to Ford about this and they're aware it's a bug and are "working on it". But regardless, it's setup within my Vehicle and has been charging as scheduled with other days.

Also to note, reviewing app data for last week, it started charging as scheduled last Wed at 12am, and I have not touched the settings since then.

I don't think this was the first instance of charging oddities, but figured I'd start looking into this now.

EDIT: In case there are questions about Precondition settings, I have my departure time set to 7:25am for all workdays. But again, nothing's changed in the past month.
Sponsored

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
What EVSE are you using? I have a Chargpoint Home Flex which has a separate charging schedule as well, obviously the two have to be in sync for the charge to occur. I've set both to my local utility's EV rate plans (PGE EV-2A) which is 12 am - 3 pm, though they've yet to officially change me over. When I charged earlier this week, it started right on time and finished 3 hours later right at the 85% charge limit I had entered in the Fordpass app.

I also seem to remember a timezone setup somewhere in the fog of details to get things going. I believe I had to do this in the car settings on the control screen.

OP
OP

ArthurH

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What EVSE are you using? I have a Chargpoint Home Flex which has a separate charging schedule as well, obviously the two have to be in sync for the charge to occur. I've set both to my local utility's EV rate plans (PGE EV-2A) which is 12 am - 3 pm, though they've yet to officially change me over. When I charged earlier this week, it started right on time and finished 3 hours later right at the 85% charge limit I had entered in the Fordpass app.

I also seem to remember a timezone setup somewhere in the fog of details to get things going. I believe I had to do this in the car settings on the control screen.
Not using any EVSE, it's just straight to my outlet. All timing is controlled within the vehicle's charge scheduling.

I'll double check my TZ later, thx, but I've changed nothing in the past month, and my system time is correct. *shrug*

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Delete the charging schedule and try again. Also don’t use 12am exactly. Set it for like 0005 or something.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Not using any EVSE, it's just straight to my outlet. All timing is controlled within the vehicle's charge scheduling.

I'll double check my TZ later, thx, but I've changed nothing in the past month, and my system time is correct. *shrug*
I'm guessing you used the "Set your own time" option, whereas I went with the "Provider and plan" options. It gave me a massive list of options with radio buttons, based on the address I entered in the "Home" location I created.

Still seems curious as to why it got the time off by 4 hours.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Delete and redo the schedule from the screen in the car. Not from the app. Sometimes this gets messed up and trying to fix it from the app doesn’t seem to sync so well with the car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
With 110v, the Mach-E cannot properly project a completion time.

Old Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EX, RW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do you need to do a schedule? Can you just plug it in and take it out when you want?
I belong to an electric coop and for residential it’s all pretty much the same price.

OP
OP

ArthurH

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Delete and redo the schedule from the screen in the car. Not from the app. Sometimes this gets messed up and trying to fix it from the app doesn’t seem to sync so well with the car.
Yes, I only can do this from the car. As noted previously, the app doesn't work for me so I can't even set scheduling through it if I wanted to. Redoing the schedule and not setting it to start at 12am, as Motomax suggested, will be my test for the next couple weeks.

With 110v, the Mach-E cannot properly project a completion time.
As noted previously, I'm using a Nema 14-50 outlet at 40amps.

Do you need to do a schedule? Can you just plug it in and take it out when you want?
I belong to an electric coop and for residential it’s all pretty much the same price.
yes, SMUD has EV discounts charging between 12am to 6am. My wife has a Mach-E as well, so it's great for us to take advantage of discounts.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I'm guessing you used the "Set your own time" option, whereas I went with the "Provider and plan" options. It gave me a massive list of options with radio buttons, based on the address I entered in the "Home" location I created.

Still seems curious as to why it got the time off by 4 hours.
Gack, guess what happened to me last night? Even though I plugged in at 5:30 pm on Wed. evening, and my home location is to set to charge based on the EV plan for my local utility, i.e. mid-night to 3 pm, it didn't start charging until 6 am today, Thurs! Very strange, has worked flawlessly up until this point.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Gack, guess what happened to me last night? Even though I plugged in at 5:30 pm on Wed. evening, and my home location is to set to charge based on the EV plan for my local utility, i.e. mid-night to 3 pm, it didn't start charging until 6 am today, Thurs! Very strange, has worked flawlessly up until this point.
Same with me… Started charging at 5am instead of midnight. Idk what the hell ford is doing on the backend but departure time no longer works and not charging time is acting up.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Same with me… Started charging at 5am instead of midnight. Idk what the hell ford is doing on the backend but departure time no longer works and not charging time is acting up.
When I saw this yesterday, I changed my settings to "charged when plugged in," and let the current delivery be determined by my Chargepoint EVSE. This worked as expected, however, the Max Charge Level setting for home, which is 85%, was ignored.

I'm guessing this interface wasn't designed by a BEV cognizant crew.

I'm going to try "Set my own time" and go back to "Use preferred charged settings" for the next fill up and see what happens.
Sponsored