Cheap, reliable EVSE

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
A bit off-topic here, but this is the only place I know to ask. I'm located in the US, and my dad is in Malaysia. He just bought a BMW iX3, and is looking for a nice level 2 charger. He's been quoted around 370 quid for a hard-wired installation and EVSE itself, and he doesn't think it's worth the cost. (I'm thinking that's crazy cheap, but I guess currency conversion does crazy things)

He's currently using a 12 amp EVSE that overheats really easily, and it falls down to 6A to go into protection mode. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good portable EVSE that plugs into a wall outlet, and doesn't overheat in tropical temperatures. I'm planning on ordering it on Amazon somehow, and delivering it to him. Thanks!
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Malaysia uses UK plugs right? You're not going to find much in the USA that works because of that. It wouldn't be imported here.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just a question - what is the voltage he will be plugging into and the frequency over there?

OP
OP

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
RE: voltage and plug -yes, I know it’s different hence asking in the UK forum 😅. I was planning on using Amazon global shipping or Amazon.co.uk to send it over.
Sponsored