Click noise from gear console when pressing brake pedal while parked (video attached)

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Yesterday I had the parking brake harness work performed and am having some issues since then that weren't there prior to the work:

- there's a distinct (and loud) click noise (and you can feel the vibration on the parking brake switch) when I push down on the brake pedal. The pedal also feels a little spongy, but it may have been that way before and never noticed it. Maybe the brakes need to be bled?

The car is going back in today at 1pm for investigation of other problems that have come up since yesterday's visit. Hopefully it's all related because I can't keep being inconvenienced like this. It's been a very trying week already with this vehicle.

Video attached:

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, Blazer EV RS (reserved)
Country flag
It's probably the shift selector unlocking to allow you to turn it into drive when you place your foot on the brake... If you try and turn it with your foot off the brake it should be locked in the park position but then when you press the brake you should be able to turn it and select a gear.

That said, yours sounds pretty loud, mine is nowhere near that loud, it's a very faint sound that I can only hear if I am particularly listening for it so you may want to have the dealer check it out and see if there's something loose with it.

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's probably the shift selector unlocking to allow you to turn it into drive when you place your foot on the brake... If you try and turn it with your foot off the brake it should be locked in the park position but then when you press the brake you should be able to turn it and select a gear.

That said, yours sounds pretty loud, mine is nowhere near that loud, it's a very faint sound that I can only hear if I am particularly listening for it so you may want to have the dealer check it out and see if there's something loose with it.
It's really loud. Much louder than it was before my service visit on Monday.

I took my car back over yesterday and we compared it to a Select they had on the lot. It was a much louder click than theirs. As a result, the unit is being replaced next week.

My vehicle is still louder when driving than it was before I took it in, but I'm trying to take it one problem at a time. Ford has reached out to me but I don't want to do anything more until this is resolved in case it corrects things somehow.

That thread:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...er-dealer-service-today-audio-attached.29892/

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yesterday I had the parking brake harness work performed and am having some issues since then that weren't there prior to the work:

- there's a distinct (and loud) click noise (and you can feel the vibration on the parking brake switch) when I push down on the brake pedal. The pedal also feels a little spongy, but it may have been that way before and never noticed it. Maybe the brakes need to be bled?

The car is going back in today at 1pm for investigation of other problems that have come up since yesterday's visit. Hopefully it's all related because I can't keep being inconvenienced like this. It's been a very trying week already with this vehicle.

Video attached:

I never noticed it on my 2021ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

But now because of you I canā€™t unhear it! šŸ˜‚

So it definitely seems like a normal noise and function of the car. Is yours maybe louder? Impossible to tell from a video. But it doesnā€™t seem like anything is broken if your car is shifting properly.

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never noticed it on my 2021ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

But now because of you I canā€™t unhear it! šŸ˜‚

So it definitely seems like a normal noise and function of the car. Is yours maybe louder? Impossible to tell from a video. But it doesnā€™t seem like anything is broken if your car is shifting properly.
The noise contrast between the one on the lot and mine was very noticeable, so much so that the shop lead immediately offered replacement. Mine almost sounds like a pinball machine flipper. It should be a very soft click. I have no doubt something happened during harness connector replacement (a known problem that they're fixing when you bring it in) since the console cover would have been removed to perform the job.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Video attached:

Yeah thatā€™s too loud, mine is silent. Ask for a new gear shifter.