Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
We are, in general, WAAAAAAY too dependent on computers and communications in general.

It will, some day, be the achiles heel that will lead to chaos when placed in the wrong hands.
Sponsored

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I would be happier if ford could find a way to do a somewhat more “Appleish” approach. Do as much as possible locally, without reliance on what I’ve repeatedly jokingly called “the Ford Galactic Super Computer”. I get it that certain things may have to “authenticate” back and forth, but a charging schedule? Really? That should be synced, but not pulled. Similarly, “credentials” for the car should be synced (and if you want to be paranoid, “expire” the local cache on a periodic basis and require new credentials from the Ford Galactic Super Computer or something - go talk to a security expert, not me!). But why does my Ford Connected Charge Station have to have a chat with the Ford Motor Company when my car wants to charge? And vice versa? Why does my car have to have a conversation with Ford when it wants to charge from my Ford Connected Charge Station? All of this dependence on “continuous” connection to Ford is silly (and unnerving).
Because companies LOVE data and statistics. You are the product. How you drive, how you charge, how the car performs, all of it. The data is (hopefully) sanatized so it's only reporting generic stats. Digging into the connection that takes place on a regular basis from the car over my wifi is IP address that report metrics to a third party company.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We are, in general, WAAAAAAY too dependent on computers and communications in general.

It will, some day, be the achiles heel that will lead to chaos when placed in the wrong hands.
I believe it's spelled Kaos.

Totally agree. A few months back, on a very nice day, my wife and I were working in the yard. Storm was coming in a few hours, so we worked through lunch to get more done. Went to open the garage door and it wouldn't work from the number pad. Went to use my app and it wouldn't work. Power failure that we were unaware of. We were locked out of the house, because neither of us had grabbed a key...

Technology will fail you every time if you aren't prepared for it to fail you.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Concern over dependence on Ford's servers missed it

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I believe it's spelled Kaos.

Totally agree. A few months back, on a very nice day, my wife and I were working in the yard. Storm was coming in a few hours, so we worked through lunch to get more done. Went to open the garage door and it wouldn't work from the number pad. Went to use my app and it wouldn't work. Power failure that we were unaware of. We were locked out of the house, because neither of us had grabbed a key...

Technology will fail you every time if you aren't prepared for it to fail you.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Concern over dependence on Ford's servers missed it
Missed it by THAT much.

Kaos.png

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
The big Apple software hire Doug Field doesn't seem to be having much of an impact yet.
He probably took one look around and then passed out ?
Sponsored