JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Very interesting - but have to say that the Bronco's human-centric design looks very nice

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
“Giddy up” is used by both the Mach E and Bronco...is that common Ford language or a new theme?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Ford's been "EV Coaching" for quite some time.

The Focus Electric turned efficient driving into a video game: The more "leafs" you got the better you were driving.

Its neat to see that the Bronco (and hopefully the Mach-E) has "My View": A configurable dash display that is/was available on the Focus Electric and the hybrid/plugin hybrids.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Oh there was more than just "count the green leaves"--I never had that screen up.

The Focus Electric had a cool "Status" display that, if you understood it, would go a long way towards telling you if you're going "to make it" or not LOL.

The status display was basically the difference (in miles) between your initial full charge range (minus how far you've gone) and the current calculated range. Thus if yesterday you drove slow on all 25 mph streets, but today (with a full charge in-between) you jumped on the highway the status indicator would go negative.

The really cool thing about it was when you used navigation and set a charge point the status indicator changed to the difference between miles to the charge point and remaining range in the battery. A quick glance: If that value was >0 then you're good. It was very effective.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Oh there was more than just "count the green leaves"--I never had that screen up.

The Focus Electric had a cool "Status" display that, if you understood it, would go a long way towards telling you if you're going "to make it" or not LOL.

The status display was basically the difference (in miles) between your initial full charge range (minus how far you've gone) and the current calculated range. Thus if yesterday you drove slow on all 25 mph streets, but today (with a full charge in-between) you jumped on the highway the status indicator would go negative.

The really cool thing about it was when you used navigation and set a charge point the status indicator changed to the difference between miles to the charge point and remaining range in the battery. A quick glance: If that value was >0 then you're good. It was very effective.
The hybrids rate you on Acceleration, Braking, and Speed. After every stop it will also rate you on your regen performance (based on how much the car had to use the friction brakes to slow down). This is all configurable.

It also shows how much a drain on the system the Climate Control is using as well as Other (radio, headlights, etc). It doesn't show hard numbers but instead uses bar graphs. There is also a screen in the center display that shows why the Engine is on, where fuel is coming from (gas, battery) to where the power is coming from (regen, electric motor, ICE) and where its going (wheels, climate, to recharge the battery). Its kinda fun to watch.

I guess in a BEV there is less going on so the whole thing is simpler and not as fun to illustrate.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
“Giddy up” is used by both the Mach E and Bronco...is that common Ford language or a new theme?
I'm guessing it's the pony theme (Mustangs, Broncos).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The hybrids rate you on Acceleration, Braking, and Speed. After every stop it will also rate you on your regen performance (based on how much the car had to use the friction brakes to slow down). This is all configurable.

It also shows how much a drain on the system the Climate Control is using as well as Other (radio, headlights, etc). It doesn't show hard numbers but instead uses bar graphs. There is also a screen in the center display that shows why the Engine is on, where fuel is coming from (gas, battery) to where the power is coming from (regen, electric motor, ICE) and where its going (wheels, climate, to recharge the battery). Its kinda fun to watch.

I guess in a BEV there is less going on so the whole thing is simpler and not as fun to illustrate.
Yes but the Leaf has that stupid little Eco Tree indicator. I pay more attention to the dot indicators with the battery burn and regeneration rates.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hopefully we get to choose, just like switching between miles and kilometers -- it's just a toggle.
Sponsored