OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I just can't see spending $50,000.00+ on a car and rattlecanning the wheels with a product designed to peel off.

Jack up the car, take the wheels to a body shop or powder coater and have a proper job done. By the time you've touched up those wheels a 3rd time....

My .02
Not unfair, but this guy’s mistake was taking it to a drive through car wash. Which, after spending $50,000 on a car, I will never do.

I love the look of the powder coats but I also want something that I can return to OEM easily. If it only lasts a year, that’s fine. I’ll do it again. $75 that I didn’t spend on gas. ;) Maybe I’ll do a hyper shift next time. Or a wicked thermochromic color that changes color based on temperature. Who knows. I’m having an inordinate amount of fun with this right now though!
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Not unfair, but this guy’s mistake was taking it to a drive through car wash. Which, after spending $50,000 on a car, I will never do.

I love the look of the powder coats but I also want something that I can return to OEM easily. If it only lasts a year, that’s fine. I’ll do it again. $75 that I didn’t spend on gas. ;) Maybe I’ll do a hyper shift next time. Or a wicked thermochromic color that changes color based on temperature. Who knows. I’m having an inordinate amount of fun with this right now though!
Yea, fun is a substantial part of it.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
So I didn’t pull the tires. I masked the brakes and calipers with plastic sheeting (the kit comes with strong clear garbage bags but a plastic drip cloth from Home Depot works just as well). The kit also comes with dip release—rub that on the tire and the dip won’t stick well to it. It peeled off almost by itself. Just make sure to consciously overspray onto the tires to get full coverage.

One thing I would have done differently would be after 3 or so coats of plastidip, get in the car and move it one foot forward or backwards to rotate the wheel a bit before the last couple coats to make sure I got all of it.
Also: super important: whatever road dust you leave on the wheel will interfere with the plastidip adhering to it. It’s pretty inconspicuous, but there are a couple spots that peeled away due to dirt. I’ll address those at some point, or I’ll just cut them off.

FWIW it was your avatar that made me think copper on star white. It’s a really great combo with the black trim. Im also enjoying the chunky look of a solid copper wheel as opposed to the two toned original.

I’m also thinking I will dip the pony emblem on the back and the Mach-e emblems on the doors in copper to match. And if I’m feeling frisky, I might add copper racing stripes on the hood and back, but that might be overkill.
It makes me nervous to even think about spraying on the actual car to get the emblems done. I've seen videos doing the whole car and it actually looks really good. I think I'm going to go ahead and do it, and see how I like it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I just can't see spending $50,000.00+ on a car and rattlecanning the wheels with a product designed to peel off.

Jack up the car, take the wheels to a body shop or powder coater and have a proper job done. By the time you've touched up those wheels a 3rd time....

My .02
They're not buying Plastidip in shaker cans from Lowes.
Sponsored