Copper dipped wheels DIY

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Wonder if you can take off the center cap off the rims as to not dip over the pony logo? Also wonder how does that impact the lug nuts? If you have to remove the lugs to rotate or fix a flat does the lug get damaged and peel?

Guys I need some help here, I love the color copper and have wanted copper rims since I saw some on online (see my avatar). However just something about those pictures look a little more bronze to me. So I'm between copper and black (can't decide between matte or shiny).

So @dml105 is this color shiny and bright like a brand new penny or is it more dull like a bronze?
Sponsored

Last edited:

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
FYI, If the coating is too thin it won’t peel, as long as you get enough coats it will peel easy. If it’s too thin to peel you can use xylene to melt it off.

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Wonder if you can take off the center cap off the rims as to not dip over the pony logo? Also wonder how does that impact the lug nuts? If you have to remove the lugs to rotate or fix a flat does the lug get damaged and peel?
Yeah, I was two coats into the plasti-dip when I realized I hadn't pulled off the center caps. I think they may come out, and I still might pull them and surface them differently. Problem is, they're silver, so they'll clash with the copper if I don't do something.

Alternatively, I might be able to find some black pony caps online.

As for the lug nuts, I have some rubber caps that I am also painting so that when the wheels get rotated and rip off the dip, I can put the copper coloring back easily.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Yeah, I was two coats into the plasti-dip when I realized I hadn't pulled off the center caps. I think they may come out, and I still might pull them and surface them differently. Problem is, they're silver, so they'll clash with the copper if I don't do something.

As for the lug nuts, I have some rubber caps that I am also painting so that when the wheels get rotated and rip off the dip, I can put the copper coloring back easily.
I wonder if you could just exacto knife and peel off just the part covering the pony and leave the background copper.

You said it's like a penny, are we talking a shiny, bright new penny or a dull dirty penny that looks more bronze?

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Here are some different rims with the same general color scheme. It shows the center cap in copper and also in silver. It doesn't look as bad as a contrast as you might think, but a lot of that is personal opinion.

I personally after looking at it really like the black and copper look and wish it would be easier to do the dish in one and the facing of the rim in the other.

The black face with copper dish and center cap looks incredible to me.

f221-brushed-copper_16528356966_o.jpg

f520-brushed-copper_16447425064_o.jpg

images (2).jpeg

f121-matte-black_31019703153_o.jpg

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Guys I need some help here, I love the color copper and have wanted copper rims since I saw some on online (see my avatar). However just something about those pictures look a little more bronze to me. So I'm between copper and black (can't decide between matte or shiny).

So @dml105 is this color shiny and bright like a brand new penny or is it more dull like a bronze?
In between. You can add more copper to make it brighter, I just chose to stop where I did. However, I’m contemplating masking the inset portion and putting another layer of copper on the part that was originally bare metal, or masking the bare metal part and putting the gloss black finish back on the inset part.

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if you could just exacto knife and peel off just the part covering the pony and leave the background copper.

You said it's like a penny, are we talking a shiny, bright new penny or a dull dirty penny that looks more bronze?
The ponies on the insets are pretty detailed. I think I’m going to try popping off the caps and paining them by hand.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In between. You can add more copper to make it brighter, I just chose to stop where I did. However, I’m contemplating masking the inset portion and putting another layer of copper on the part that was originally bare metal, or masking the bare metal part and putting the gloss black finish back on the inset part.
Whatever you end up doing please post pictures, I think it will look great either way. I'm really wanting to do something to mine as well. I don't like the black and aluminum look that's currently on it.

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Whatever you end up doing please post pictures, I think it will look great either way. I'm really wanting to do something to mine as well. I don't like the black and aluminum look that's currently on it.
Here are a couple more pics.

I tried to peel the copper off just the pony emblem… it didn’t go well. In fact, I scratched the emblem a little.

BUT: the caps do come off with a little effort. I used a butter knife wrapped in painters tape to not scratch the wheel.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY C63671A8-8651-4FED-B767-F4BF1A8E9713

Then I peeled the plasti-dip copper layer off. (Side note: this gave me great assurance that yes, this is 100% reversible.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY BFC11AEB-61FB-41D6-B25E-E469D039E6B0

It’s not a horrible look… but I am going to re-dip the hub in copper for now. I think what I will do later is pop all four caps off and take them to a desk where I can do some detail work. I’ll paint the ponies back on them over the copper with a black enamel.

Bonus pic: a comparison of this dip to a penny:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Copper dipped wheels DIY 1CA9D06A-469B-443E-BA25-6EB0C31DEECB

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here are a couple more pics.

I tried to peel the copper off just the pony emblem… it didn’t go well. In fact, I scratched the emblem a little.

BUT: the caps do come off with a little effort. I used a butter knife wrapped in painters tape to not scratch the wheel.

C63671A8-8651-4FED-B767-F4BF1A8E9713.jpeg

Then I peeled the plasti-dip copper layer off. (Side note: this gave me great assurance that yes, this is 100% reversible.)

BFC11AEB-61FB-41D6-B25E-E469D039E6B0.jpeg

It’s not a horrible look… but I am going to re-dip the hub in copper for now. I think what I will do later is pop all four caps off and take them to a desk where I can do some detail work. I’ll paint the ponies back on them over the copper with a black enamel.

Bonus pic: a comparison of this dip to a penny:

1CA9D06A-469B-443E-BA25-6EB0C31DEECB.jpeg
Those look great. I was leaning towards black or anthracite grey and now I'm back to undecided. If you did it again would you do anything differently? Do you see any benefit to pulling the tires off versus just covering the break pads?

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Those look great. I was leaning towards black or anthracite grey and now I'm back to undecided. If you did it again would you do anything differently? Do you see any benefit to pulling the tires off versus just covering the break pads?
So I didn’t pull the tires. I masked the brakes and calipers with plastic sheeting (the kit comes with strong clear garbage bags but a plastic drip cloth from Home Depot works just as well). The kit also comes with dip release—rub that on the tire and the dip won’t stick well to it. It peeled off almost by itself. Just make sure to consciously overspray onto the tires to get full coverage.

One thing I would have done differently would be after 3 or so coats of plastidip, get in the car and move it one foot forward or backwards to rotate the wheel a bit before the last couple coats to make sure I got all of it.
Also: super important: whatever road dust you leave on the wheel will interfere with the plastidip adhering to it. It’s pretty inconspicuous, but there are a couple spots that peeled away due to dirt. I’ll address those at some point, or I’ll just cut them off.

FWIW it was your avatar that made me think copper on star white. It’s a really great combo with the black trim. Im also enjoying the chunky look of a solid copper wheel as opposed to the two toned original.

I’m also thinking I will dip the pony emblem on the back and the Mach-e emblems on the doors in copper to match. And if I’m feeling frisky, I might add copper racing stripes on the hood and back, but that might be overkill.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I just can't see spending $50,000.00+ on a car and rattlecanning the wheels with a product designed to peel off.

Jack up the car, take the wheels to a body shop or powder coater and have a proper job done. By the time you've touched up those wheels a 3rd time....

My .02
Sponsored