Deciding on range / trim

Poki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR AWD Premium
Country flag
First post! I'm deciding between the four Premium configurations (range and RWD/AWD).

Is there a way to simulate road-trip charging stops/distances to see how the different configurations would differ? I downloaded the Ford Pass app but with no added vehicle it won't let me plan trips. I'm basically looking for something beyond entering total trip miles into Google Maps and cross-referencing with MME published EPA ranges.

Example: if driving round trip from location A to B, how many charging stops would each of the four Premium configurations require?

Thanks!
Sponsored

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
There is a tool called A Better Route Planner that does exactly what you are looking for. It might take a little bit of work going through the different options yourself and setting up profiles for different vehicles, but it is great for planning drives based on charging stops.

OP
OP
Poki

Poki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR AWD Premium
Country flag
There is a tool called A Better Route Planner that does exactly what you are looking for
Thanks! I started playing with it. Interesting results. Some trips, there's no difference in the number of stops, just slightly longer charging times. But once you add the weight of a second person and lower the outside temperature, the difference becomes more pronounced. In general, the extended range does tend to require one or two fewer stops on a long 1-day drive.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
A few other things to consider other than just the range rating: The larger battery pack charges 33% faster, and if you live somewhere it gets cold in the winter, that's going to take a significant toll on the range (and subequently the number and speed of charging stops, and the distance between them can get dicey in some areas).

OP
OP
Poki

Poki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR AWD Premium
Country flag
All signs are pointing to the extended range AWD. I test-drove an AWD and boy, that acceleration! Was thinking maybe I could spend a little less with the standard range, but in light of the above, extended it is. Less $ in the bank, more happiness in the soul.

Update: did a 180 and went with the SD AWD. Our wise teenager talked us into saving the 5k after (a) running a bunch of road-trip simulations on the routing app and (b) reminding us that we almost never drive more than 150 miles.
Sponsored

Last edited: