Did I Just Blow My 3rd (and updated part) HVBJB???

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
That's funny but my local dealer is one of the good ones. Their service has been excellent every time I have been there, and the sales experience was smooth and easy. When I got my GT from another dealer out of state, they refunded my nonrefundable deposit no questions asked.
My closest dealer doesn't even show up when looking at ford parts.....

lyyq

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premier
Country flag
Well, I had hope after getting my updated HVBJB installed in September, 2022 (part number NK4Z*10C666*C), that I would be good to go, but it looks like I am not as fortunate as I thought.

This is a 2021 MME Premium AWD with the extended range battery built in December, 2021.

My first failure came on May 10, 2022 at 6,737 miles and since that was before the software recall the failure bricked the car and it had to be towed for repair. Since the updated HVBJB was not out yet it was replaced with the original part that would fail again. This repair took 10 days since Ford sent an engineer out right away to assist my dealer with the repair and get the car back on the road.

My second failure came on September 19, 2022 at 11,946 miles. Since I had the software recall installed it gave me the Service Soon Message warning of the failure in my very near future. Since the new HVBJB was out, I had high hopes this would take care of any future failure. This repair took 30 days.

My third failure came today at 17,027 miles. When the Service Vehicle Soon message popped up while driving and power was noticeably reduced I pulled over and plugged in the scanner to see the codes (funny this is the first car I have ever owned where I feel the need to carry a scanner with me at all times). Once I saw the display below, my hopes of a permanent fix were shot to hell.
ERROR.jpg

I of course will open a case with the BEV team (if the Ford account doesn't reach out first) and I will keep this thread up to date as I go down the HVBJB failure road for the third time now.

01-03-23 Update - After only one day at the dealer they were able to confirm the failure of the HVBJB and ordered a new part.

01-04-23 Update - New HVBJB arrived at dealership AND Ford is sending a field engineer out tomorrow to get data from the vehicle.

01-06-23 Update - Ford engineering pulled data from the car to analyze and concluded the updated HVBJB is about to fail so they gave the go ahead to replace it again. The dealer says they will get started on that today.

01-11-23 Final Update - Newberg Ford finished the car and I picked it up tonight. This was my first visit at Newberg Ford, but it will now be my dealer for all future service/repairs. I was very impressed with their EV tech and staff and I am glad to have found such a good local dealer to work on the car.

I have 10C666*C replaced in Sep. Just wondering if Ford Engineer have any idea why new HVBJB failed again?

OP
OP
heisnuts

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I have 10C666*C replaced in Sep. Just wondering if Ford Engineer have any idea why new HVBJB failed again?
I am sure Ford will take my failed part back for analysis to find out that answer. Hopefully it will help for future improvements in the part/design.

chuyqwerty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
They did not. I don't think there is really anyway for them to tell at the dealership level. I am sure Ford will want the old part sent back to them for teardown, which hopefully will give them more answers. Hopefully this early case (along with the data the field engineer pulled from the car during the repair) will provide valuable data for future redesigns... At least that is my hope.
Ford should send you the future iteration of the Mach E. If it can survive heisnuts, then it can survive anything ;)

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
A lot of my driving is back country roads with lots of turns that allow for full throttle exits. I am sure this contributes to my 6,000 mile intervals for the HVBJ. The obvious concern is that if I am going through it every 6,000 miles how long will it take a “normal” driver or a GT driver to do the same?
haha good to see you’re enjoying the car. I’ve got the same type and haven’t had the HVjB issue but I rarely go full throttle. Half to 3/4 throttle and I can outpower 95% of cars on the road.

Chris-MMEX_GT500

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careerup.tech
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT / Star White
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
haha good to see you’re enjoying the car. I’ve got the same type and haven’t had the HVjB issue but I rarely go full throttle. Half to 3/4 throttle and I can outpower 95% of cars on the road.
Unfortunately, the issue can occur even if you do not use full power. Mine failed driving normally around 60mph on a flat road in cool weather at 4600mi. I highly recommend following the steps and making sure you reference the information in the thread.

As someone said, the first version of the HVBJB. Hopefully, the revised HVBJB resolves the issue. Hopefully, you have the newer version in your Mach-E. If not, expect the failure to occur at some point.
Sponsored