Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Another minor complication. The Ford MME SSM and TSB just say to connect a 12V battery charger. When my dealer programming was clearly going to run hours overnight (which it did), before leaving, I reminded the tech of the 12V battery drain, and he wheeled over and connected a giant 12V unit on wheels (probably 200A+).

My first thought for DIY driveway programming was just a 10A or 20A battery charger, but my first choice turned off by itself last night, so that's a definite no go for long programming sessions.

The more I read, it seems the pros use 12V power supply like units, specifically designed for J2534 auto programming. Apparently the OTC-700A is a highly regarded unit, however it is presently unobtanium.

These Schumacher INC-100 units apparently had a good reputation at one time, but current reviews are mixed to abysmal with multiple warranty returns reported.

I am going to try the Clore-Automotive-PL6100-Charger-Reprogramming unit. None of these are perfect, but this one looks to be one of the better ones with good availability. Also available on Amazon. The Clore 100A charger unit is less than $100 more, but I do not think MME needs the higher current rating.

Depending on what MME is doing on its own (pumps, lights, etc), 20 or 30 amp 12V loads are common, but I am hoping 60A is overly cautious. I think a safe assumption is that one cannot rely on the MME DC-DC converter coming on, especially when re-programming certain modules.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Another minor complication. The Ford MME SSM and TSB just say to connect a 12V battery charger. When my dealer programming was clearly going to run hours overnight (which it did), before leaving, I reminded the tech of the 12V battery drain, and he wheeled over and connected a giant 12V unit on wheels (probably 200A+).

My first thought for DIY driveway programming was just a 10A or 20A battery charger, but my first choice turned off by itself last night, so that's a definite no go for long programming sessions.

The more I read, it seems the pros use 12V power supply like units, specifically designed for J2534 auto programming. Apparently the OTC-700A is a highly regarded unit, however it is presently unobtanium.

These Schumacher INC-100 units apparently had a good reputation at one time, but current reviews are mixed to abysmal with multiple warranty returns reported.

I am going to try the Clore-Automotive-PL6100-Charger-Reprogramming unit. None of these are perfect, but this one looks to be one of the better ones with good availability. Also available on Amazon. The Clore 100A charger unit is less than $100 more, but I do not think MME needs the higher current rating.

Depending on what MME is doing on its own (pumps, lights, etc), 20 or 30 amp 12V loads are common, but I am hoping 60A is overly cautious. I think a safe assumption is that one cannot rely on the MME DC-DC converter coming on, especially when re-programming certain modules.
you might look into ham radio 12v psus such as:https://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP5...am+Radio+Power+Supplies&qid=1630455867&sr=8-3

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I used this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W3QT226/ and got through the IPMA programming. The DC-DC converter will NOT turn on during programming, so you definitely can't count on that. It also appears that some pumps are left on during the programming process; I could hear liquid continuously running from the frunk area.

I also measured the amount of power the charger was putting out during the process, and it never really went pass 85 watts or so. Not sure if it was the limitation of the charger, or if the process really doesn't consume more than that.