OP
OP

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Bimmers and 2 Minis
Country flag
You're correct about two-door cars, but every two-doors I've owned had front seats with a release latch so the seat would move forward to allow a way in or out.
True, and this is also a matter of expectations versus being surprised. I would not put a low agility older person in the back of a coupe or third row of a full size SUV, but would need to in a two row crossover such as Mach E and I and they would expect them to be able to open their own door if something happened to me in an impact. Even if they are more agile, am I supposed to do a pre-drive briefing like a flight attendant for each rear seat passenger to advise them that it may be necessary to crawl out the front, assuming I am not in the way or they can crawl over me in that event? There was no need for this absurd outcome with Ford design. I am still waiting to see if this is really true (just press reports so far) but might wind up going back to Polestar 2 or BMW iX3., although there are things I like better about Mach E.
Sponsored

frinesi2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Golf TDI, '96/97 ZJ 4.0L, '92 Pajero 2.5TD
Country flag
Rear passenger doors are often times child locked so you can't open them from the inside anyways.
I can count on one hand the number of times in my life I've encountered a rear door with the child lock engaged.

Some modern cars I've experienced required you to pull twice to unlock and exit the rear door, but that's completely different and still mechanical.

JeffIsHereToo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shelby GT, Boss 302
Country flag
You're correct about two-door cars, but every two-doors I've owned had front seats with a release latch so the seat would move forward to allow a way in or out.
Both my Shelby and Mercedes have powered electric moving front seats that will not move forward without power, My Boss on the other hand , both driver and passenger, are mechanical, and do move forward when the release is pulled. If you want fast egress get totally mechanical or someone will need to design a powered seat with a mechanical emergency release. While that sounds reasonable I could see this as a damaging process that like airbags would need to be reset and repaired by a dealer after use.

So question...do you really trust little Billy pulling levers back there?

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
Both my Shelby and Mercedes have powered electric moving front seats that will not move forward without power, My Boss on the other hand , both driver and passenger, are mechanical, and do move forward when the release is pulled. If you want fast egress get totally mechanical or someone will need to design a powered seat with a mechanical emergency release. While that sounds reasonable I could see this as a damaging process that like airbags would need to be reset and repaired by a dealer after use.

So question...do you really trust little Billy pulling levers back there?
Good points. The two-door cars I owned were from mid-80s to early-90s (one was a '86 GT) and all had mechanical front seats. And yes, occasionally someone would move around in the rear seat and step on one of the levers. Not fun while driving.
Sponsored

Last edited: