Electricfy Canada Experience

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Went on my first road trip around 230km one way this past weekend. With no stops, and an average of 80km/h , I was able to get from my home to the destination using 51% of my battery charge. Unfortunately, the place I was staying at in Toronto doesn't have any power outlets where I can just plug in and charge. All the options presented on the Ford App are low wattage (50 kwh or less), which makes DC fast charging very slow, so I was forced to use Electrify Canada (not covered under Ford Pass from my understanding currently).

Using Plug and charge does not work (says declined). This is after setting up plug and charge via ford pass connect and linking a credit card.
After plugging the 150kw Charger, you are prompted to either use a credit card or start the session via the Electrify Canada app. Using the credit card never worked.
I would swipe, and then be prompted to slide the card in the bottom. I would just get an error beep. This was attempted on 3 of the stations, all the same issue.
I did not try using the credit card first before plugging in (instructions say plug in first). I installed the electrify Canada app, preloaded the wallet (auto reloads when drops $5, I hate this charging model), and tried to start the charging sessions (based on charger #) while the charger was plugged in. This would fail also.
The only option that worked was on electrify Canada (Agincourt Canadian Tire location):
1) Unplugging the charger
2)Start the charger station via app (I don't know how it can differentiate between the two plugs, maybe only one vehicle per station?)
3)Plug in the vehicle (small time frame to plug in before timing out)
4)Hit continue on the touch screen on the charging station
4)Vehicle Starts charging.
5)Stop the charge via app

I tried this twice over the weekend and same issues both times. They really need to make the process easier especially when they are charging so much per kwh.
It's a whopping $0.57/min or $0.44/min ($4/month fee) before tax.
A charging session of 34:15 mins (8 degrees outside) delivered 49kwH (29% -> 80%), cost me $22.06 after tax, which is pretty close to what it would cost me for ICE gas. After doing the math, if you charge for 28 minutes, it is worth getting the membership plan (saving of $4 after tax).
If you are really in a rush, this is your only option in the area.

I also tried another 50kWh charger at the VW dealership a few blocks down.
1) Plug in
2)Tap Credit Card to Start
3)Tap Credit Card to Stop
Much Simpler, and would have cost me half the price, but would have taken 3-4x longer.

Hopefully, they'll make long distance travelling easier. Definitely possible within Southern Ontario, since I have the Extended Battery AWD, which definitely could go 400km + without charging. On my way back from my trip, I had the frunk full with freezer goods, and the trunk fully loaded. 3 People in the car, with empty seats filled to the the windows. Even with all the extra weight, it took an additional 10% range (60% opposed to 51%). I was very impressed with the car, our charging network, not so much. I highly doubt the complimentary charging from the Ford Pass Charging Network will benefit me within the next 2 years unless they start seriously installing 150kWh everywhere.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Try using Petro Canada DC chargers. Their app, or credit card, works well and chargers output more than 100 Kw.
I used Petro Canada last weekend and it worked well.
Did 50-80% $7.65, 29 minutes.
Far better rate than the local L2 chargers.

yomofoz

First Name
jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e premium
Country flag
What does the complimentary charge do? I was under the impression the charges would be free for two years. But it doesn't seem like it.
Also, I agree with the pricing being quite close to having a gas vehicle.

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
cost me $22.06 after tax, which is pretty close to what it would cost me for ICE gas. I highly doubt the complimentary charging from the Ford Pass Charging Network will benefit me within the next 2 years unless they start seriously installing 150kWh everywhere.
Three comments about what you posted
First, yes it’s a pain in the but to charge at several different styles of fast chargers. I find for electrify Canada the only way I got it to work was through the app. But I do find through the app it works perfectly every time. I don’t have plug and charge active so maybe that’s why.
Second, yes the cost is much closer to ICE when you fast charge and yes, electrify Canada is way to high of a price considering others like ivy, petro can do the same speeds for half almost. Somewhere around 7L/100km is the break over point for same cost for equivalent mileage. With that being said though in your example of your trip, you put 460kms of driving in but only paid fast charging rates for about 230km of it so half cost $22 to electrify Canada and the other half you paid your electric price at your house which is probably 10-20cents per kWh so likely $5-7ish. For a total of $29. Gas would have been $44.
Third, there is no free kWh with electrify Canada l, the 250kwh was given to the US buyers and is for electrify America! All they did was give them less FordPass points. We got 44,000 points, they got 22,000 and 250kwh. So your right you won’t get any use out of them because if you bought in Canada you don’t have them, and electrify Canada is not the same as electrify America.
I’m planning to try out the plug n charge sometime but looking at the chargers that are in the program, I doubt I’d ever use them. I don’t have any 150kwh chargers near me that are in the system. So I likely won’t bother.

jeremyk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER AWD Carbonized Grey
Country flag
Petro Canada DC fast chargers are currently free if you pay with an RBC credit card, but you have to sign up for the promotion. EIther directly or through the app. A few days later you will be reimbursed.

My experience with EC was that it was a bit faster (sustained 110kw vs tapering to sub-90 earlier) but much more expensive than any other charging option.

I recently travelled from Ontario to PEI and back and I would have gladly paid gas prices if I knew there was a fast DC charger everywhere I needed it, instead of the stress of plotting backup 50kw chargers for each stop etc. Petro Canada was basically the only real option for fast travel. Worked great about 98% of the time.

Scbolts

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lexus NX Hybrid, 2018 GMC Sierra 1500, 2009 MB SL63 AMG
Occupation
Executive
Country flag
I have had some experience and look forward to the day when there is a simple overlay on these apps. As of now I have Electrify Canada, Ivy, Flo (I thought this one was on the Ford app but my last outing it didn’t work), and PetroCanada.
luckily most of my charging is at home.

2021mustangdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select RWD, grabber blue
Country flag
No Electrify in Sudbury but there is 1 only Petro-Canada with DC fast charging. Will not use Ivy as it is too expensive but ChargePoint is 10 minutes walk from my home.

Dan

SMBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER Mach-E AWD
Country flag
Petro Canada chargers on the prairies haven't worked right since the extreme cold this past winter. These issues with fast chargers makes road trips a gamble, when there remain so few around.

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No Electrify in Sudbury but there is 1 only Petro-Canada with DC fast charging. Will not use Ivy as it is too expensive but ChargePoint is 10 minutes walk from my home.

Dan
Good info when I shop in Sudbury, moving North soon.
Sponsored