James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
I am a very happy Grizzl-e owner (I have one outdoors, and one in the garage).

Article is right about the cost of electricity here in New England -- I'm not even sure its saving me any $ over an ICE car once you factor in pre-conditioning and other lost energy not related to driving. There are no TOU rates offered to residential customers by my utility provider.
Im happy with my grizzle-e also 32o dip switches a little safer for house fuse panel.here in central texas costā€™s me about 30/35 bucks a month to keeps wifes adventures rolling.
Sponsored

BGEJr

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mache GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Lots of people have reported problems with the Ford Mobile charger wearing out more quickly than it should. Particularly in higher temps, the unit will overheat and charge very slowly or not at all. I keep the mobile charger in my trunk in case I need an L1 charge on the road, and installed a permanent L2 at home.
We purchased a ā€˜22 Mache a year ago and have been regularly using the Ford supplied mobile charger connected to a 50a Nema 14-50 outlet. The Ford EVSE started throwing the ā€œamberā€ overheat warning about a month ago, but continued to charge the vehicle at a reduced rate. Failure occurred with ambient temps around 60F, so ambient wasnā€™t a factor. Dealer confirmed failure and gave us a new charger under warranty. Am definitely upgrading to one of the recommended home charging EVSEā€™s for regular use; save the Ford unit for mobile/spare use.

BGEJr

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mache GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
using the Ford Mobile, with the included 240v plug to a standard 240v 14-50 outlet means the circuit *should* be set up with a 50amp breaker and awg6/3 wiring perfectly capable of handling the default 32amp charge current.

adding a 240v outlet really shouldn't cost any more than $500, even when done by a licensed electrician, unless you have a totally full service with less than 200amp main needing upgrade.
The biggest cost driver for the 50a service for me was the 6/3 NM-B cable due to length of service run. Distance from my 200a service to the garage outlet was 90ft so had to buy 125ft @ $500 for just the cable. Fortunately was able to sell the left over for $75.
Sponsored